Join Early Retirement Today

The danger of following the rut in the road...
Old 07-02-2015, 05:38 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We just finished a week in a Sarasota "test driving" the summer heat. - We come often in the spring and have done christmas but never the summer. My wife's late dads place is still jointly owned by the kids. It in a gated development landscaped, clubhouse, pools ... Lovely

What I've observed
1. The heat keeps you and most everyone indoors -yes obviously I call it "air conditioner incarceration". Yeah it gets hot in Penn but not nearly as humid (or so it seems) and it doesn't cool off at night as much. The only way you know who hasn't fled north is by the cans outside on garage day.
2. If it is cloudy you can stand the heat - outdoor fans in the lanai and a pool help greatly. But the sun will chase you indoors.
3. Bugs and critters are definitely a factor. The man made lakes are pretty but hey also a source of water for all that crawls, swims, flys or walks
4. One morning up and out the door by 6am for what turned out to be an awesome fishing charter and I see people out walking their dogs, exercising ..good for them!

I'm an outdoor guy ... After work it is a lawn chair, my iPad, the dog sitting on the grass nearby and a good book. Sat, Sun and holidays mornings it is my back deck same stuff... My little bit of heaven. Call me crazy but I even enjoy mowing the lawn and growing tomatoes.

My job took me to many places outside of Long Island I discovered Del/PA on one of those trips. Long Island is the definition of rat race - too many people. Only when we moved did I realize how bad it was. The opportunity to transfer came I grabbed it and it has been a joy. Now ten years later I'm thinking single story, less congestion and taxes.. The usual.

We know Sarasota been coming here for 20 years. Now her sister built a designer retirement home there. My sister is an hour or so away. Some of it is great but the snow bird congestion season has grown and grown. I75 is a nightmare and it has actually gotten pretty pricey. Call me crazy but I am worried that it would be real easy to fall into the rut buy and retire here. Would sitting in the morning on my porch in the hills of Tennessee or North Carolina be nicer for May - October or year round.

I am determined to turn hard and get out of the rut and see where the other roads take us.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2015, 06:37 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Almost every part of the Country has a month or two of lousy weather. I always plan my vacations for January....miserable where I'm at, or July......hot is heck...close to 100 degrees. So.....choose between 4 seasons or pick a spot that will be uncomfortable a couple months a year. To me, my choice is where I have things to do and people I enjoy being with.....and, TAXES! I hate high property taxes or State income taxes. California has both....but the weather is so nice they can get away with it. Good Luck....my solution was two little houses.....one for 3 months in the winter....one for 9 months the rest of the year......vacations away from weather help as well.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:57 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You saw that Samsung truck with the TV on the back?

It sounds like you need a Man Cave with a huge TV on each wall showing the view from your "deck". Of course, all presented in the low humidity, perfect temperature-controlled comfort of your own home.

Getting out in nature is enjoying the bugs, the critters, the sounds, the smells, the heat and the humidity.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:59 AM   #4

I think you suffer from what I do...inertia plus a lack of full enthusiasm for anyplace else! We've thought about moving many times, buying a place at the beach, so on and so on. You hit on something that's big to me...crowding. My major career moves took us to progressively smaller communities (now leaving me with 275,000 neighbors) but a very drivable and easy to get around town. I can accept heat, but having lived in NE Florida for 18 years I'm not eager to return. It just seems that because financially we can, and having been here for nearly 20 years (NC) we should! The attractiveness of many areas (which would attract us) just means too many people and congestion for a good part of the year. Hence here we stay...for the time being!
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
You saw that Samsung truck with the TV on the back?

It sounds like you need a Man Cave with a huge TV on each wall showing the view from your "deck". Of course, all presented in the low humidity, perfect temperature-controlled comfort of your own home.

Getting out in nature is enjoying the bugs, the critters, the sounds, the smells, the heat and the humidity.

Naah, I sit out there on the deck and yeah occasionally a skeeter finds me... We do bail after dusk because there will too many bites.. I have to laugh The Mrs gets 5 for everyone I get.

I Think I may have misled you I don't expect perfection, a good rain storm makes the air smell wonderful but
- for a life long mid Atlantic guy and gal the heat her lasts for a long while. 99 is 99 and that's hot - we northerners worry about too much heat. Yeah I know we are running from the cold...
- add a mountain and it cools off at night.. I'm not a big fan of air conditioning - we open windows when ever we can
- I do love to fish - I need and like the critters deer, wild turkeys, coyotes, fox I see them in pa right out my window.
- I do hate congestion.. I see it growing in pa where we live and it isn't good.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:36 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome len View Post
Almost every part of the Country has a month or two of lousy weather. I always plan my vacations for January....miserable where I'm at, or July......hot is heck...close to 100 degrees. So.....choose between 4 seasons or pick a spot that will be uncomfortable a couple months a year. To me, my choice is where I have things to do and people I enjoy being with.....and, TAXES! I hate high property taxes or State income taxes. California has both....but the weather is so nice they can get away with it. Good Luck....my solution was two little houses.....one for 3 months in the winter....one for 9 months the rest of the year......vacations away from weather help as well.
Good advice above. We went to Vegas/Hawaii/San Francisco for February. I long ago chose hot over cold. And our total cost of housing is less than just property taxes in many states like NJ, IL, MN, WS, NB. . . . . .

Florida's homeowners' insurance is another big expense. But I'd choose living from Sarasota to Naples anytime.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:13 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
I do love to fish - I need and like the critters deer, wild turkeys, coyotes, fox I see them in pa right out my window.
- I do hate congestion.. I see it growing in pa where we live and it isn't good.
I'm just teasing you a little bit, but the following it true:

I used to live on the north shore of Long Island west of Huntington. I could fish from my back porch. I would see foxes and turkeys every year. Fall with the changing of leaves was usually spectacular, too. I didn't have to commute, so I didn't notice the rat race.

I write this because you mentioned Long Island in your first note. Sometimes you don't see what is around you until your mind is ready to view.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Naah, I sit out there on the deck and yeah occasionally a skeeter finds me... We do bail after dusk because there will too many bites.. I have to laugh The Mrs gets 5 for everyone I get.

Sounds like us--although DW may get 15-20 for every one I get and don't notice... This year, she has found a way around it for sitting on the deck. Bought a "ThermaCell" butane repellent device. Surprised us in that it really does work. $25 well spent. (She got it at Lowes or WMT; AMZN also has it.)
Old 07-02-2015, 08:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Almost every part of the Country has a month or two of lousy weather.
Some good truth in that statement. It's either too hot or too cold, just pick your more tolerable choice.

For Ray, it seems that a lot of the previous "retire in FL" has now become "retire in SC, NC, or TN" for many folks. Especially since FL costs have gone up so much, SC has become the new retiree destination for many. That would not be too far form your other family in FL, and the summer heat might be a bit more to your tolerance.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:22 AM   #10

Central SC is hotter than FL in the summer because they get fewer afternoon thunderstorms to cool off. The I-85 corridor between Athens, GA and Greensboro, NC and the I-75 corridor between Marietta, GA and Knoxville, TN are more pleasant. GA offers more generous tax breaks for those age 65 and over than SC.

Sarasota, FL vs Columbia, SC Climate Comparison
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:29 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

In NC I consider our July to be our "winter".

The nice thing about this winter is you can still tough out some decent outdoor activities if you are so inclined. Golf is possible. It is not possible with 2 ft. of snow on the ground.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:41 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I Think I may have misled you I don't expect perfection, a good rain storm makes the air smell wonderful but
- for a life long mid Atlantic guy and gal the heat her lasts for a long while. 99 is 99 and that's hot - we northerners worry about too much heat. Yeah I know we are running from the cold...
- add a mountain and it cools off at night.. I'm not a big fan of air conditioning - we open windows when ever we can
- I do love to fish - I need and like the critters deer, wild turkeys, coyotes, fox I see them in pa right out my window.
Take a drive to Charlottesville, VA. Use skyline drive down or back. Stay in a B&B. Drink wine and beer. Meet the folks.

Here is something else on my list--Lake Anna. I think you could find some fish there.

We are still tied to NJ, but some day...
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:30 PM   #13

My grandparents owned a retirement home in Sarasota. We visited many times to escape Nre England winters. They always left Sarasota around Memorial day and returned before labor day. I remember asking my grandfather why he didn't consider staying in Florida more than 8 months a year. He replied "Its hot as hades here those four months yet beautiful back home up North then". I didn't need for him to elaborate. Summers were always special to him since he was a kid. Why flip it and "endure" something undesireable when there's only so many summers left in the bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-02-2015, 12:48 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am determined to turn hard and get out of the rut and see where the other roads take us.
+1

Despite having lived in the Chicago area most of my life, in retirement I'm growing weary of the winters. OTOH, I really don't like heat and humidity. When it hits 90f, especially if it's humid or I'm in the sun, I'm really uncomfortable.

Right now we're signed up to stay here due family issues. But if we ever get to pull up the anchor, it won't be to Fla or any other scorching-hot-in-the-summer location.

That really seems to limit our choices for full time locations. Mild year around seems hard to come by. Snow birding may be the answer. Dunno..........
Old 07-02-2015, 01:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Call me crazy but I am worried that it would be real easy to fall into the rut buy and retire here. Would sitting in the morning on my porch in the hills of Tennessee or North Carolina be nicer for May - October or year round.
The climate of TN/NC is appealing. [Mod Edit]
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:43 PM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

I have lived on the border of Sarasota and Bradenton for twenty years . It gets hot in the summer so my life revolves around the pool or air conditioning . Usually by august I have to escape and travel north to visit my Mother . October thru December are great months in Florida . Perfect weather & not yet congested . The other perfect months are March thru May . Great weather and most of the snowbirds have left . As for bugs , I have not had a bug bite except a fire ant once since I moved from New Jersey ( The mosquito capital of the world ). The pluses of Sarasota are great restaurants , lots to do & lovely beaches .Very few places have 12 months of great weather so pick your poison .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:29 PM   #17

If you want to get out of the rut, check out some of the mountain west or high-altitude southwest areas. No humidity and it is warm, but comfortable in the shade even in the 90s.

It is very different from the east coast and we love it here.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:39 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Take a drive to Charlottesville, VA. Use skyline drive down or back. Stay in a B&B. Drink wine and beer. Meet the folks.

Here is something else on my list--Lake Anna. I think you could find some fish there.
Especially on the "hot" side of the lake.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:44 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
+1

Despite having lived in the Chicago area most of my life, in retirement I'm growing weary of the winters. OTOH, I really don't like heat and humidity. When it hits 90f, especially if it's humid or I'm in the sun, I'm really uncomfortable.

Right now we're signed up to stay here due family issues. But if we ever get to pull up the anchor, it won't be to Fla or any other scorching-hot-in-the-summer location.

That really seems to limit our choices for full time locations. Mild year around seems hard to come by. Snow birding may be the answer. Dunno..........
San Francisco fits the bill. Not even Seattle will. Right now it is 91 F, and it's been like this for over a week. Monday supposed to hit 92, but of course it could get hotter. Humidity is pretty low at 30 or so. High 80s are challenging, but 90+ is worse.

And like many, I have no ac. Fans help though. It is only really hot inside from 4-8 or so.

Ha
Old 07-03-2015, 04:26 AM   #20
Confused about dryer sheets

Alternative to the Rut

Quote:
We call them Halfbacks in NC. People who move to Florida, find the heat oppressive and miss the 4 season. Move to NC as a compromise between the deep south and midwest.
sgilbert2 is offline   Reply With Quote