Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2015, 06:07 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
frayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: 19th Hole
Posts: 2,531
Moved from Ohio to north Georgia, just south of Chattanooga one year after I retired. Love the mild winters and the change of seasons here. Summers can get a little hot but not unbearable. I lived in Florida (Ft. Lauderdale) for about three years back in the 70s and got burned out on the traffic as well as no real change of seasons. Every time I visit Florida I realize why I wouldn't want to live there, traffic and heat. I have a number of friends from Ohio who winter in the Ft. Myers area and usually stop for a day or two when they are heading down and then on their way back north. Funny to hear them bitch about the traffic and winter crowds.
__________________

__________________
A totally unblemished life is only for saints.
frayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2015, 09:06 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
San Francisco fits the bill. Not even Seattle will. Right now it is 91 F, and it's been like this for over a week. Monday supposed to hit 92, but of course it could get hotter. Humidity is pretty low at 30 or so. High 80s are challenging, but 90+ is worse.

And like many, I have no ac. Fans help though. It is only really hot inside from 4-8 or so.

Ha
The heat in N-IL usually comes with humidity, probably 60% is on the low side of the scale when it gets warm here, and often much higher, so that is tough for me. I'm not even sure what 80's-90's F and 30% would feel like (have been to Vegas, but IIRC it was hotter and much dryer).

Does it get cool at night? A dip into the 60's at night goes a long way towards cooling off the house and making sleeping comfortable w/o AC, it will get the house back to the mid-low 70's if you can get the ventilation.

-ERD50
__________________

__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:30 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: San Jose
Posts: 607
I grew up in Alabama and lived there for 23 years. After that, I was done. I knew I'd never (and I mean NEVER) live in the south again.

Colorado was the best place I've ever lived purely from a weather standpoint. I love Rocky Mountain weather, except for the wildfires which will probably get worse as the drought continues.

But there's still something about living up in the Rockies that appeals to me, more so than any other part of the country I've lived in or visited.

Sadly, I'm having to do a OMY job-wise, but I anticipate this time next year, I will have quit the IT field, packed up, and moved back to the Rockies. Probably the Evergreen/Genesee area outside Denver, but I'm also giving some thought of spending a year in the Bozeman area so I can enjoy a bit of Montana and do more hiking and visiting Yellowstone.

Whatever happens, I'm definitely done with Silicon Valley. There is nothing here that appeals to me. I could conceivably live in San Francisco (if it weren't so ridiculously expensive) or maybe wine country, but I need to get back to the Rockies for a few years to get my soul back.
__________________
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:43 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Live And Learn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 1,689
To me being near family (which I am) outweighs the summer heat / humidity and the winter "crowds". The only time I am not outdoors is from noon to 4pm during the hottest months. I used to run into a heated room up north; now I run into an AC'd room. The rest of the day I am on the lanai, at the pool, or messing with my garden. I'm sure there are other places where conditions may be "nicer" but home is where the heart is, and my heart is where my family is.
__________________
"For the time being no discipline brings joy, but seems grievous and painful; but afterwards it yields a peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it." ~
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:40 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: northern Michigan
Posts: 732
The solution for us was to keep our home in rural Michigan and stay here about 9 months of the year; then head to the Gulf Coast (Texas) for the 3 coldest months, where we rent a nice house. I don't know why more people don't consider renting for a few months in a location where the weather is nicer at that time of year. It is really very affordable (if you pick the right location), and avoids all the hassles and additional costs of owning a second home. The house we rent is every bit as nice as our house back home, and the location (right on the water) is awesome for fishing, birding, enjoying the sunsets, etc..

I'd actually like to rent for closer to 4 months during the winter (Dec thru March), but the grandkids and some other commitments here at home keep us from being gone quite that long. I would definitely not like to be down south during the summer months.........way too hot and humid for me. And the summers where we live in Michigan are beautiful.
__________________
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:50 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,326
I think it is time again to post the link to the Kelly Norton's version of pleasant weather chart:

kelly norton: The Pleasant Places to Live

Of course pleasant is in the eye of the beholder, but his definition of pleasant is:

“pleasant” here means the mean temperature was between (55° F and 75° F), the minimum temperature was above 45° F, the maximum temperature was below 85° F and there was no significant precipitation or snow depth.
__________________
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 02:02 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alberta/Ontario/ Arizona
Posts: 3,139
I think if we had to pick just one place in the US to live it would be San Diego. Weather very high on the "pleasant place to live" scale and ocean is close. Expensive, of course, nice places tend to be.
However, if you decided to live in more than one place there are lots of choices. Mountains, beach, desert, lakes. Pick a couple of your favourites. If you do this you can really get the best of all worlds.
__________________
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 06:05 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
San Francisco fits the bill. Not even Seattle will. Right now it is 91 F, and it's been like this for over a week. Monday supposed to hit 92, but of course it could get hotter. Humidity is pretty low at 30 or so. High 80s are challenging, but 90+ is worse.

And like many, I have no ac. Fans help though. It is only really hot inside from 4-8 or so.

Ha

North coast CA is significantly less expensive with similar weather. Take a look around Eureka.

Even Monterey area is less expensive living than SF.


Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:33 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
JoeWras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
I grew up in Alabama and lived there for 23 years. After that, I was done. I knew I'd never (and I mean NEVER) live in the south again.

Colorado was the best place I've ever lived purely from a weather standpoint. I love Rocky Mountain weather, except for the wildfires which will probably get worse as the drought continues.

But there's still something about living up in the Rockies that appeals to me, more so than any other part of the country I've lived in or visited.

Sadly, I'm having to do a OMY job-wise, but I anticipate this time next year, I will have quit the IT field, packed up, and moved back to the Rockies. Probably the Evergreen/Genesee area outside Denver, but I'm also giving some thought of spending a year in the Bozeman area so I can enjoy a bit of Montana and do more hiking and visiting Yellowstone.

Whatever happens, I'm definitely done with Silicon Valley. There is nothing here that appeals to me. I could conceivably live in San Francisco (if it weren't so ridiculously expensive) or maybe wine country, but I need to get back to the Rockies for a few years to get my soul back.
Yep. We're now "in it" in NC. We have our humidity on full force. Our winter.

The other place I'd consider is the Rockies. But, loneaspen, what is your opinion of the growth there? Seems like everyone and their brother want to move there. That would be my concern, especially with impending water issues.
__________________
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:11 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I think it is time again to post the link to the Kelly Norton's version of pleasant weather chart:

kelly norton: The Pleasant Places to Live

Of course pleasant is in the eye of the beholder, but his definition of pleasant is:

“pleasant” here means the mean temperature was between (55° F and 75° F), the minimum temperature was above 45° F, the maximum temperature was below 85° F and there was no significant precipitation or snow depth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
I think if we had to pick just one place in the US to live it would be San Diego. Weather very high on the "pleasant place to live" scale and ocean is close. Expensive, of course, nice places tend to be.
...
What may help is if your personal view of 'pleasant' is different from the mainstream. Then you might find something 'pleasant' for you, but not soooo expensive. But unless your ideas of 'pleasant' are way different from the norm, it still won't be cheap.

For me, 'pleasant' could be far outside those San Diego temperatures. I'd like to get away from heat and humidity, can handle some cold, but would not want the extreme/long winter. And I'd stay away from hurricane paths, the widespread destruction is so much more scary to me than the disasters we have here from tornadoes - those are local enough that support services come to the rescue in short order, and no massive evacuation to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
North coast CA is significantly less expensive with similar weather. Take a look around Eureka. ...
Isn't Eureka the area the T-Al lives in? Looks beautiful and probably has many nice things about it, but no way could I deal with that constant humidity. He often reports on fighting mold, mildew and rusting problems all through the house. Sorry, I just could not deal with that. I hate humidity, and cool humidity is maybe worse than hot humidity (clammy - yuck).

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:21 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
What may help is if your personal view of 'pleasant' is different from the mainstream. Then you might find something 'pleasant' for you, but not soooo expensive. But unless your ideas of 'pleasant' are way different from the norm, it still won't be cheap.



For me, 'pleasant' could be far outside those San Diego temperatures. I'd like to get away from heat and humidity, can handle some cold, but would not want the extreme/long winter. And I'd stay away from hurricane paths, the widespread destruction is so much more scary to me than the disasters we have here from tornadoes - those are local enough that support services come to the rescue in short order, and no massive evacuation to deal with.







Isn't Eureka the area the T-Al lives in? Looks beautiful and probably has many nice things about it, but no way could I deal with that constant humidity. He often reports on fighting mold, mildew and rusting problems all through the house. Sorry, I just could not deal with that. I hate humidity, and cool humidity is maybe worse than hot humidity (clammy - yuck).



-ERD50

A couple years ago here in MO we had a summer heat wave including a drought which brought humidity levels way down. I remember playing golf in a 106 degree heat and thinking this isn't so bad because I am not sweating. Much prefer that to the normal mid 80s and humidity. Though as I have gotten older I have also learned to appreciate the 45-50 degree weather with sunshine (no wind please). That is great weather to be outside and on the move.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:38 AM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
... Though as I have gotten older I have also learned to appreciate the 45-50 degree weather with sunshine (no wind please). That is great weather to be outside and on the move.

...
A nice long fall here in Northern, IL is my version of heaven. Cool temps and reasonable humidity are fine when you have, sunshine and low wind.

I'm even fine with very cold weather if it is sunny and no wind. I can take a short walk in 0 F under those conditions, and not even need to be bundled up much, and totally enjoy it. The lack of wind, and the sun go a long way to making it comfortable (added boost from reflection off of snow). But the length of winter, and the snow can wear on you (affect DW worse than me).

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:46 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
A nice long fall here in Northern, IL is my version of heaven. Cool temps and reasonable humidity are fine when you have, sunshine and low wind.

I'm even fine with very cold weather if it is sunny and no wind. I can take a short walk in 0 F under those conditions, and not even need to be bundled up much, and totally enjoy it. The lack of wind, and the sun go a long way to making it comfortable (added boost from reflection off of snow). But the length of winter, and the snow can wear on you (affect DW worse than me).

-ERD50
Also live in Northern IL, but the cold winters here drive us to FL every year since retiring. We've failed to motivate ourselves to sell our IL home and relocate.

We've lived in some great places in the U.S. but moving back to them again just doesn't give us the warm fuzzies: West Michigan has great summers, but not so great winters. California is beautiful, but expensive and a little bit crowded. Texas is very nice with no state income taxes, but property taxes are high and never go away (IL is also high).

We'd like to move and are afraid we're wasting valuable retirement time, but just can't seem to get it together and select a place. Find it frustrating, as we like many places and are old pros at moving. Afraid we're becoming complacent (old) and it will just get more expensive/difficult to accomplish as we age (we're 64/62 now).
__________________
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:26 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: San Jose
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
The other place I'd consider is the Rockies. But, loneaspen, what is your opinion of the growth there? Seems like everyone and their brother want to move there. That would be my concern, especially with impending water issues.
Since leaving Colorado in 2007 and moving to Silicon Valley, I've only been back a couple times for short vacations.

However, based on everything I'm reading, including watching how housing costs are rising in the Denver area, I think your concern is valid, and it concerns me, too.

When I lived in the Denver in the mid 90's, I remember it being typical big-city-ish, but the crowds and roadways weren't crushing. After living here in Silicon Valley for a number of years and experiencing what seems to be a resurgence in the economy (at least for tech workers in the Valley) and skyrocketing housing costs, if I assume that the similar rising housing costs in Denver can be correlated, then that tells me the Denver area might also be getting similarly overcrowded, with crushing commutes.

I don't know about the Evergreen or Genesee areas, though. Something tells me the foothills areas will always maintain a more sparse population because of housing density, and a lot of people won't put up with the weather or the commute.

If I were to live in Denver metro area (including Castle Rock, Parker, etc) the crowds would definitely concern me. With Evergreen and Genesee, it would be water and wildfires. It's scary to me that there will not be enough water in the Denver area to support that many people if the drought continues, which I think it will. I could definitely see people in the foothills (especially those on wells) having to install cisterns and get water trucked in, which I think would kill resale values for foothills properties.

And the wildfire concern is enough for me now that I probably would no longer look for a house "in the woods" and surrounded by trees, as I've had in the past. I'd probably look for something much more in an open area, even though I'd miss the privacy.

But...even with these concerns, I still see myself moving back there. There's a big part of my soul I feel I left behind in the Rockies when I left (particularly Colorado) and I've got to get back at least for a few years, and enjoy the things I remember so fondly from when I lived there before.

EDIT: Regarding other parts of the Rockies, I've only visited Wyoming and Montana, and my initial thoughts would be similar to the Evergreen and Genesee areas of Denver...that those areas (like Bozeman, Billings, Cody, etc) won't be growing at a rapid pace. I could be wrong, however...maybe places like Billings are growing a lot. But I would expect there are always places out the outskirts to live, that they still won't be that crowded. Although, if I ever moved to a smaller town like a Billings, it would only be for a couple years, because there are things I would miss about being near a larger city like Denver.
__________________
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:31 PM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dawg52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central MS/Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 7,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
I grew up in Alabama and lived there for 23 years. After that, I was done. I knew I'd never (and I mean NEVER) live in the south again.

Colorado was the best place I've ever lived purely from a weather standpoint. I love Rocky Mountain weather, except for the wildfires which will probably get worse as the drought continues.
Colorado is hard to beat. I've got a short visit planned for early Fall.

I've lived in the south my entire life and the summers can be tough. I bought a condo on the AL coast a little over a year ago and the heat seems to be a little more bearable than here in MS. The breeze off the gulf really helps. But even with that, I'm drenched from head to toe in sweat after riding my bike for an hour or so. Probably good for me though.

Hopefully next August I will head to CO or MT for a break from the humidity. Reverse snowbirding.
__________________
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Full time wuss.......
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:39 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz View Post
Also live in Northern IL, but the cold winters here drive us to FL every year since retiring. We've failed to motivate ourselves to sell our IL home and relocate.

We've lived in some great places in the U.S. but moving back to them again just doesn't give us the warm fuzzies: West Michigan has great summers, but not so great winters. California is beautiful, but expensive and a little bit crowded. Texas is very nice with no state income taxes, but property taxes are high and never go away (IL is also high).

We liked to move and are afraid we're wasting valuable retirement time, but just can't seem to get it together and select a place. Find it frustrating, as we like many places and are old pros at moving. Afraid we're becoming complacent (old) and it will just get more expensive/difficult to accomplish as we age (we're 64/62 now).
I think you are in a good place. There seems to be an American sickness that one must always be moving, or at least planning or considering moving. I am happy that I have no intention of moving, unless an earthquake would destroy my area. If that happened and I survived, I would just move up the road to Bellingham, or down the road to Vancouver WA.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:47 PM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I think you are in a good place. There seems to be an American sickness that one must always be moving, or at least planning or considering moving. I am happy that I have no intention of moving, unless an earthquake would destroy my area. If that happened and I survived, I would just move up the road to Bellingham, or down the road to Vancouver WA.

Ha

FWIW, I agree also. If the spirit isn't calling strong enough to make the move, maybe it is meant to be. I greatly enjoy Aspen, Lake Tahoe, Las Vegas Strip, and St. John but cannot afford to live in any of those places. But I can afford to go visit there and stay a week or so when the spirit moves. Good enough for me and I will continue to live where I am at. The cheap LCOL thus allows me to go do these things that would not be possible. Unless of course I got another job, which is out of the question!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:10 PM   #38
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
walkinwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
...It's scary to me that there will not be enough water in the Denver area to support that many people if the drought continues, which I think it will.....
No drought in the foothills at this time. We've had the wettest May on record and all the reservoirs are spilling over!
Colorado Interactive Drought Monitor Map

Drought & forest fires will always be a concern. We live in a semi-arid region. However, Denver Water, I think, is well aware of the issue and has a number of initiatives to conserve water. People here tend to take it seriously too. You don't see as many pools here as you do in Las Vegas or LA.

There's also the danger of hail/tornadoes in the plains east of the foothills (Denver and surrounding areas). We had a tornado warning a couple of weeks ago here in Denver.

Traffic is bad during rush hour, but that's hardly an issue if you're ER'd. However, the traffic doesn't compare to the northeast or the urban areas in California.

We love that there is a big influx of young, talented people. It is a vibrant, progressive city. Even more so than it was 4 years ago when we moved here.
__________________
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 04:06 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I think you are in a good place. There seems to be an American sickness that one must always be moving, or at least planning or considering moving. I am happy that I have no intention of moving, unless an earthquake would destroy my area. If that happened and I survived, I would just move up the road to Bellingham, or down the road to Vancouver WA.

Ha
"We liked to move..." should have been "We'd like to move..." fixed the original. Not sure anyone likes the process of moving, but it was really nice to live in different places in this great country (career moves - owned eight houses).

We live in Northern IL now as both our daughters live here. We moved back here (wife's from here, not me) to get to know our grandchildren, and planned to relocate about 5yrs later when they were in their teens and moved onto hanging with their friends. Been 8yrs now and haven't been able to pick a place. We don't like the winters here and would prefer a warmer area. FL is nice, but not for us. The rest of the places I mentioned originally are also nice, but only Texas is a possibility. Not sure we want the responsibility of owning two places (been there, done that) as a compromise to relocating. Empathize with the OP...
__________________
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 04:58 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: San Jose
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
No drought in the foothills at this time. We've had the wettest May on record and all the reservoirs are spilling over!
Colorado Interactive Drought Monitor Map
Wow, I had no idea. California's drought condition is so horrible, I assumed (shame on me) Colorado might be in the same boat.

Thanks for posting that.
__________________

__________________
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
worried about rut dex Stock Picking and Market Strategy 1 09-24-2008 09:48 PM
Financial Road Warriors - How to manage your portfolio while on the road Billy Life after FIRE 38 07-20-2007 04:44 PM
Following the Immigration Rules poboy Other topics 0 05-17-2006 10:02 AM
Calculators and following the dow daily runnerr FIRE and Money 25 05-13-2005 01:29 PM
Following Orders -- sort of twocybers Hi, I am... 0 09-23-2004 06:20 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:49 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.