Join Early Retirement Today

Re: The danger of knowing your lifespan...
Old 05-08-2007, 03:51 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

If I was single Id probably get a second opinion or 3 before I did what that guy did. But damn straight Id blow it all too. But being married I wouldnt

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2007, 04:57 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Honestly,

If I had a year to live and went all out speding all my money... Then found out I was going to live? I would be the happiest person ever!

^_^

Old 05-08-2007, 09:34 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would have been happier if I had not spent all my money. Anyway, he could return to work and start saving.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:42 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
hey nords, where's the "would you make significant change to your lifestyle if you knew when you were going to die?" poll?
Good idea, feel free to start one!

Actually I'd hope that everyone would be able to answer "I'm living exactly the life I choose to live, so no changes would be necessary."

Or, as Scott Adams says, "I'm living the only life I'm capable of living so I won't be making any changes."

As for the medical predictions, I remember a while back that a poster was discharged from cancer treatment with a number of metastasizing concerns. IIRC it took months and the Mayo Clinic to sort it all out. So I can see where an occasional misdiagnosis could happen-- and an annuity would be a great idea, especially after they got a look at his medical records!

But the heck with the "would you or wouldn't you" poll. I'd like to know "What specific activities would you indulge in if you had only x hours/days/months left to live? Provide graphic proposals and include pictures..."

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:57 PM   #25

As a patient who was diagnosed with metastatic disease (lungs, liver, spine) at two Comprehensive Cancer Center's and having Renal Cell Carcinoma with no radiation/chem options (Grade 2 or 3 Clear cell RCC)

I recall private emotions that shall remain private. But I recall clearly the stigma of being considered a CANCER victim. But not me, I wont be anyone's victim, even to provide good laughter.

My reaction was simple. Get a comprehensive Medical Directive and a Bullet Proof Trust.

And Mayo clinic proved to be my sword and buckler, I was sent there by a guardian angel. She knows who she is.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:13 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't think I'd change much. I LBYM mainly because I'm happy with what I already have. Plus, if I die, the money would just pass to my family. I'd be happier knowing they were better off than by having a viper for the last 6 months of my life.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:44 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

yeah, we wouldn't make any money changes....but BOY, would I eat chocolate like there was no tomorrow.....(because, of course, there wouldn't be)......

Other than just forgetting about calories and what was healthy, wouldn't change a thing.......we are living life exactly as we want....except for unlimited chocolate, of course.

mmmnnnn.....Belgian chocolate........ LooseChickens
Old 05-09-2007, 07:08 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
hey nords, where's the "would you make significant change to your lifestyle if you knew when you were going to die?" poll?
Results will depend on whether you are still working or not, yes?
I would imagine the common change would be to quit work.

There is a country song about this, "Live like you were dying" , by Tim Mcgraw

TJ
Old 05-09-2007, 08:25 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans
Results will depend on whether you are still working or not, yes?
I would imagine the common change would be to quit work.

There is a country song about this, "Live like you were dying" , by Tim Mcgraw

TJ
Exactly. I would quit work and travel the world. I plan to do the "travel the world" part when I retire, so I'd just do it earlier.

Karen
Old 05-09-2007, 09:00 AM   #30

I guess if he had a large life insurance policy he could have sold it to a firm that specializes in 'viatical’ settlements and spend the insurance companies money. Or find out that he did not have a terminal disease by the 2nd opinion the company would want to confirm his impending death.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:27 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
As a patient who was diagnosed with metastatic disease (lungs, liver, spine) at two Comprehensive Cancer Center's and having Renal Cell Carcinoma with no radiation/chem options (Grade 2 or 3 Clear cell RCC)

I recall private emotions that shall remain private. But I recall clearly the stigma of being considered a CANCER victim. But not me, I wont be anyone's victim, even to provide good laughter.

My reaction was simple. Get a comprehensive Medical Directive and a Bullet Proof Trust.

And Mayo clinic proved to be my sword and buckler, I was sent there by a guardian angel. She knows who she is.
FWIW, my sister NEVER thought of herself as a "victim", she often referred to her cancer as an "inconvenience"............I think it was her will to live that kept her going almost 7 years after she was told she had 6 months to live...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:28 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

My dad is a retired pharmacist. I remember his take on getting a bad prognosis from a doctor. His advice?

"Go to the Mayo Clinic. If they tell you the same thing as your first doctor, then get your affairs in order, because you're going to die"..............

Old 05-09-2007, 12:26 PM   #33

FinanceDude,
Sorry to hear about you sister. Bet that extra 6.5 years having her was a blessing.

Your dad gives good advice, same here:
"If you ever get diagnosed with cancer, get a 2nd opinion trip planned for the Mayo Clinic, for those that have been, you know what I mean"

And please disregard the hokey US New & World Report rankings, what a joke.

And whatever Mayo says, plan your future accordingly.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:13 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
FinanceDude,
Sorry to hear about you sister. Bet that extra 6.5 years having her was a blessing.

Your dad gives good advice, same here:
"If you ever get diagnosed with cancer, get a 2nd opinion trip planned for the Mayo Clinic, for those that have been, you know what I mean"

And please disregard the hokey US New & World Report rankings, what a joke.

And whatever Mayo says, plan your future accordingly.
I find it amzing that more folks don't go there. I went there 15 years ago for something (non life-threatening), and watched a princess walk up with 3 bodyguards, I assume for a physical.

That was good enough for me....................

Old 05-09-2007, 03:17 PM   #35

I told my kids that when the time comes .. .feel free to pull the plug on me ... but I did ask that they ship me off to Mayo ... for that one last 'look see... '
Old 05-09-2007, 05:35 PM   #36

Quote:
Exactly. I would quit work and travel the world. I plan to do the "travel the world" part when I retire, so I'd just do it earlier.
This is my plan too, Karen. But if I got sick, I wonder if I could really, truly enjoy any trip that was likely to be my last? It always seems to me that the fear would outweigh the enjoyment.

I'm really struggling with decision to bail out now (at age 50) vs working 5 more years for a bigger nest egg. Must be a mid-life crisis, but it seems that the closer I get to freedom the more fearful I am that I won't get there / won't get to enjoy it when I do.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:41 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
But the heck with the "would you or wouldn't you" poll. I'd like to know "What specific activities would you indulge in if you had only x hours/days/months left to live? Provide graphic proposals and include pictures..."
i can't think of a thing i would do that i'm not already doing and i can assure you that the last thing you want to see are the pictures.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:26 PM   #38

As a childhood onset diabetic who didn't take good care of his blood sugar, I figured out I would be dead by 45. I was almost dead by 42 from kidney failure but was saved 11 years ago by a kidney/pancreas transplant.

So I sort of knew when the end was coming. I still spent on hobbies for fun and saved all I could in a 401K since their inception. I'm glad I did now that I'm going to live forever!

Mike D. (Who has had 5 more almost-pancreas-transplants in the last two months)

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote