Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

How is it possible they misread their consumers so badly? A debacle of New Coke proportions. Only charitable explanation I can think of is they decided their previous strategy was a sure slow death.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

JCPenny sells drapes and such, don't they? I got all my drapes there. They had a huge selection of drapes of different sizes, designs, colors, etc. They weren't very stylish, but they were very affordable.

I guess that's kind of like Sears with power tools. Maybe you cannot survive by having just one niche.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:10 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

I thought this was fun to play with and it includes JCP, you can sort on any column... 2011 Top 100 Retailers | STORES.org

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
JCPenny sells drapes and such, don't they? I got all my drapes there. They had a huge selection of drapes of different sizes, designs, colors, etc. They weren't very stylish, but they were very affordable.

I guess that's kind of like Sears with power tools. Maybe you cannot survive by having just one niche.
Frankly, I didn't really care about Craftsman tools and own none. I thought Sears' niche was cheap, practical womens' underwear. I liked their Sears brand bras. But now that Sears is on the way to becoming KMart, I found a more commonly available bra that is an adequate substitute.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Frankly, I didn't really care about Craftsman tools and own none. I thought Sears' niche was cheap, practical womens' underwear. I liked their bras. But now that they are gone...
I've gotta ask: do you know where your underwear went?
Old 05-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
No no, I edited my post to say "now that they are becoming KMart". And no, I don't know where ANY of my Sears brand bras went! I guess I threw them out when I started buying (more fashionable, more expensive) Bali bras. I really liked the Sears' brand because the model I preferred was very very cheap, reasonably flattering for me, and very practical as it would last forever. Apparently I was mistaken on the last phrase.... But anyway I wore that model for 50 years. If it changed, I couldn't tell it.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I was more worried about why the Craftsmen tools disappeared about the same time...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:27 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
No no, I edited my post to say "now that they are becoming KMart". And no, I don't know where ANY of my Sears brand bras went! I guess I threw them out when I started buying (more fashionable, more expensive) Bali bras. I really liked the Sears' brand because the model I preferred was very very cheap, reasonably flattering for me, and very practical as it would last forever. Apparently I was mistaken on the last phrase.... But anyway I wore that model for 50 years. If it changed, I couldn't tell it.
You should try the Sara Blakely "Assets" ones that Target sells. They are the best bras I've ever worn!
OT, I bought a skirt at JCP for my grandfather's funeral 6 years ago. That was my last experience in their stores. Didn't even know about the controversy/new ad campaign.

If I have to find something specific to wear, like for work, I'll go to Belk or Ann Taylor. Otherwise, I'm more of a scavenger, and the mall is the worst place I can imagine having to go.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
You should try the Sara Blakely "Assets" ones that Target sells. They are the best bras I've ever worn!
I have never tried them! I'll do that, thanks. The things I learn on this forum are phenomenal.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sales are held to also increase shopper traffic during a specific time frame. There are probably many people that have good intention of going to jc pennies but are not motovated by the fact that the sale will end.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Interesting comments about JCP on this thread.

I am one who likes JCP and have bought some clothing over the past few months at amazing savings. I order online and have it shipped to the store for free shipping. Driving to the mall on a weekday morning to pick up my order is great. Often the employees in the store outnumber the customers at that time of day and the parking lot has lots of space. What's not to like about that.

JCP's new pricing strategy was a bit confusing at first, but not that big of a change except for the way they spin it. Best prices are still clearance prices and they update or reduce those prices on 2 Fridays per month. Each month they have special prices or sales on certain merchandise. They advertise all this to me in e-mails every day or two.

For the past 5 or more years I don't often find merchandise in the stores to buy as many retailers have greatly reduced the amount of stuff stocked. This is not just JCP so I am quite disappointed if I go shopping as often I can't find what I want locally.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I have my clothes down to a pretty easy automatic process. The only time I shop other than to replace jeans or cargo pants or socks is right after or right before Christmas, when I have found some beautiful cashmere sweaters plenty cheap at Macy's. I also buy most kitchen stuff I need there. One thing I hate about Macy's is that they are always changing the location of their displays, in clothing, not so much housewares. If I am trying to keep tabs on the sweaters, I like to pop in to see how cheap they have become, and buy if my buy-point has been reached. With them always messing with the display locations I sometimes just give up and go outside.

This spring I wanted to buy a v-neck acrylic sweater, so I can wear it all summer without any concern about moths. Couldn't even find one downtown, but I got a really nice one on Amazon. I think it is Docker's brand. I also bought a few workout pieces at the recent REI sale. I wanted that Nike Dry-Fit, which feels good on my skin and is also very easy for me to hand wash after wearing so I am ready to go again the next day.

Ha
Old 05-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #53
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Amazon's unfair advantage re no tax collection will need to be brought to a screeching halt before that playing ground is leveled.
Bloomberg reports NJ has decided to collect sales tax from Amazon Amazon to Collect N.J. Sales Tax Under Agreement, Lawmaker Says - Bloomberg
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't have a JCP, but I think the campaign failed because people like to feel like they got a deal and the ad campaign gave the impression that they would never have sales - just everyday, low prices. That would cross them off my list.

I hate to shop, but when I do I am looking for value at the lowest price possible. We usually shop the clearance racks at Kohls for DH. We can usually find Dockers or a similar quality brand for a great price combined with a 30% off coupon that they send me quite regularly in the mail. For me, it's usually a Land's End catalog or Ross or Marshal's (usually Ross). We have to really need something to go clothes shopping though because we both hate it.

As far as Best Buy is concerned, we avoid it if we can; but since it is the only electronics store where we live, there are times when we have little choice if we want to fondle the product before we purchase it. My son used to work there. The cashiers were required to push their "black tie warranty"; but when someone had a problem, he said that Best Buy would try to avoid honoring it. I can't remember the last time that I bought something there.
misty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:20 AM   #55

Now they plan to eliminate check out counters and clerks.

JCPenney to get rid of check-out counters and clerks

http://www.businessinsider.com/jcpen...heckout-2012-7

In other words, it will be like shopping at Walmart except for all those helpful Walmart employees.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Now they plan to eliminate check out counters and clerks.

JCPenney to get rid of check-out counters and clerks

In other words, it will be like shopping at Walmart except for all those helpful Walmart employees.
Last one to lose their job, please turn out the lights. Seriously, how the hell can an economy sustain itself when an ever-growing number of people are thrown out of work by this stuff?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

I guess what JCP loses in loss-prevention with merchandise walking out of the store will be more than made up in payroll savings.

Meanwhile, some grocery stores are getting rid of some of their self-service registers: Self-checkouts on decline nationally (video) - news-herald.com
Old 07-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #58

If this is dependent on the migration of their "traditional" data center (if there is such a thing these days) to one based entirely on Oracle (and outsourced to Oracle) it might take a little longer and cost more than planned.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

I think most shoppers would rather buy a 'sale' item.

Vendor A: Camera XYZ that costs $300 (not on sale)

Vendor B: Camera XYZ on sale for $335 (huge sale this week only!!)

Shoppers love those sales! lol
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Meanwhile, some grocery stores are getting rid of some of their self-service registers: Self-checkouts on decline nationally (video) - news-herald.com
I LOVED this comment from the article:
Quote:
We need to stop using self check outs. I always use a line where jobs are. I always get my money from the bank teller, I always use the line at gaint eagle where there is a person, Gas is alittle hard, but I will go in and buy something, and I will always pay my bills by mail. By mail some one has to delivery it, some one has to open it and some one has to read it and some one has to put it in the computer. STOP USING SELF CHECK OUTS AND PAY BY MAIL. Maybe there will be more jobs.