The Economy

Big Galloot, scary stuff that you are posting! I copied some of it and asked my stock broker/"financial advisor" what he thought. here is his reply:

The trend line he refers to in his comments needs further investigation. Trends in the country have changed dramatically in recent decades. There has been a lot more growth in this country than that of the early 1900s. I wonder if the trend line is skewed to the downside by using the slow growth period of time in our country and mixing it with the relative short term, high growth numbers of recent decades.

In any respect, I have a hard time believing it is going to get that bad. I suspect we will have some more testing of the downside, but nothing of that size. I could be wrong, but the economic numbers, albeit bad, are not giving us signals that the 2nd Great Depression is upon us. If we have a correction from here of another 70%, then you can expect food lines.

I tend to take a more moderate view of what is going to take place next. Volatility has calmed down quite a bit. We had record amounts of cash in this country prior to this correction. Buyers are seeming to show up at 8000. Valuations get to exagerated low levels and bargain hunting seemingly begun. Large amounts of capital is being infused all around the world. Money is cheap and getting cheaper. Technology, Energy, Innovations and many other industries can spark better growth going forward and they will have the money and support to move forward.

There is no doubt there will be some employment issues in this country moving forward. The amplified discussions coming from the UAW on the recent bailout request make everyone believe that if they do not get the bailout that 4-5Million jobs will be lost simultaneously. That is not fact. Bankruptcy protection is not a point where you turn off the lights and send everyone home. The UAW uses these fear tactics to get the money so they can keep their contracts.

One last point, how much does the rest of the world need the United States to succeed?

If there is a correction of that magnitude, what would happen to the rest of the world?

Do these types of discussions seem doomsday like?

When something is too good to be true, it usually is.

When something is too bad to be true, it usually is.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure he really addressed the exact topic. But can anyone give any input as to whether they disagree/agree with him?

Thanks a bunch for doing this. I'm impressed and grateful! Your advisor's response is basically irrefutable.

And therein lies the problem...

Unfortunately, he suffers from a chronic case of "silver-lining-itis," otherwise known as incurable "cup-half-full" syndrome. It's very common with financial advisors, which is why I avoid them like the plague. It's highly contagious!

If he were a "tough love" advisor, he would show you the attached chart, which is the log of SP500 "real prices" since the late 19th century, and tell you, in no uncertain terms that after partying heartily for a decade-and-a-half above the trend line, we have abruptly and violently regressed to the mean, and that historically, such abrupt regressions tend to grossly undershoot and stay down below for periods ranging from six years to 2.5 decades. Then, if he were really useful, he would advise you to adjust your equity targets according to your age, portfolio headroom, and other factors, and to generate enough cash and "safe" assets to keep you and yours fed, clothed and housed for quite some time, even if it means returning to work (while/if you still can).

All this is is a historical analysis (just like Firecalc). My observations are my observations, but they are based on irrefutable data and events that really truly happened. I make no claims regarding the future, or of calling bottoms or tops. I just stare at data and tell people what I see. I actually prefer that you take it with a grain of salt. I hate being taken seriously.

Your advisor is right though: the glass is indeed half full. What he's not telling you is that is was nearly full just a few short months ago, and the water level is dropping fast even as I write this. I can lie, your advisor can lie, but the data don't lie.

Yes, you can do what your advisor suggested and massage the data and the trend line until you get answers you wanted to hear. Unfortunately, just stare at the chart for a while and you can see that no matter how you massage it, it won't change the historical realities all that much, maybe just make them slightly less terrifying.

You don't have to be a statistician to make the following factual historical observations from this chart. (Even my most non-mathematical wife got it!):
  1. We just came down from a historically high deviation from the mean (by "mean" I am referring to the trend line), which occured in August of 2000. We have very recently (today again believe it or not!) finally regressed to the mean.
  2. The last time we were at the mean was about mid-1994. We've been above the trend line for nearly a decade-and-a-half! Yay!?
  3. The other often-cited recent crises (Asian meltdown, post 9/11) did NOT regress us back to the mean. As bad as they were, they didn't even come all that close.
  4. The last stage of this recent regression to the mean, starting last November, was extremely abrupt. In fact, the slope looks historically unprecedented to me - like skiing down a black diamond run.
  5. Nearly every abrupt regression to the mean that originated from historical peaks has resulted in severe undershooting relative to the mean. It's called gravity, momentum, inertia, etc. The only exception was in 1907 when we bounced right off the trend line like a Superball (remember those?) (If the market recovers after forming a bottom here, it would be historically unlikely..., possible, but unlikely. We humans rarely do things in moderation.)
  6. The worst-case undershoot happened in June of 1932. If we fall by the same magnitude of negative deviation today, it would result in another approximately 65% drop from today's SP500 price. WARNING: this is not my opinion or forecast; it is simply a historical fact. It happened. Infer what you will from it.
  7. To get to the 90th percentile of all historical negative deviations from the trend line, would require another 49% drop from today's price.
  8. To get to the median would require another 33% drop from today's price.
  9. Historically, the amount of time spent below the trend line, after precipitous falls to the mean, ranged from about 6 years to nearly two decades. If you exclude one brief respite to the mean during the Great Depression, it took a worst-case of 25 years to regress to the mean and stay above it.
So, the big question is: Do you believe that we will nearly defy history and magically bounce right off the mean, just like 1907? (Actually, I think we just broke down through the mean as I write this!)

My own personal answer - and everyone has to answer this in light of their own personal factors - is I DON'T FRIKIN' KNOW, only I don't mean "frikin'", I mean the real f-word, and I'm not a cusser!

So, what to do, what to do?? :confused:

Read my post above for what I'm doing in response to this same question posed by REWahoo. It's basically a "don't-frikin'-know-but-the-trend-is-your-friend" system which exploits the relative distance from the trend line and the established direction of the trend to retarget equity exposure in relatively small, graded steps. I feel that such an approach is prudent (again, for my situation, maybe not yours). I'm well beyond the greedy stage, just wanting to generally increase my odds of preserving capital in the event of more water being drained from the glass, while increasing equity exposure in the more unlikely event of the glass getting fuller from here.

This is not market-top/bottom-timing, nor is it an all-in/all-out "switching" system, both of which I absolutely abhor. Backtesting it, it would have reduced my equity exposures by at least half while the SP was still above 1300. Of course, it didn't call the absolute top, but that's not what I'm aiming for.

I'm not looking for converts here. Writing this down is therapy for me, and if someone reads it and it helps if they're in the same boat, then it's a nice bonus. In my experience, when it comes to investing, religion and politics, most folks have their heels dug in pretty deep and quickly become immovable objects. One of the tenets of the FIRE faith is steadfast buy-hold-rebalance, so anyone interrupting the conversation with a different approach is a heretic, who is probably going to get stoned (in the Judeo-Christian tradition that is, not the Bob Dylanesqe way!)

Attachments

• stock market regression to the mean.bmp
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
Well, I hope someone is getting value from your posts. For me, anything over 3 inches of print is past my limited attention span. :duh:

Well, I hope someone is getting value from your posts. For me, anything over 3 inches of print is past my limited attention span. :duh:
That type of poster behavior tends to have a short lifespan around here...

LOL, same here. :) Just because someone can fill up my entire screen with data, doesn't mean they are correct.

:2funny::2funny::2funny::2funny:

If it fills up the "reply" box area it's probably too long....

Sooorrreee! I thought the topic was The Economy which I assumed would be of great interest on an Early Retirement forum. Couldn't think of a witty soundbite for discussing regression to the mean.

My bad...

Sooorrreee! I thought the topic was The Economy which I assumed would be of great interest on an Early Retirement forum. Couldn't think of a witty soundbite for discussing regression to the mean.

My bad...

I think most people here understand and accept regression to the mean; just not necessarily your interpretation of that concept.

Ha

My bad...

I think most people here understand and accept regression to the mean; just not necessarily your interpretation of that concept.

Ha

Not to mention that some (most?) of us have been economied out over the past few months. We didn't ER because we want to sit around being serious at great length all the time. Pissing and moaning is OK, gets it out of our systems. But if you'd read other threads you'd realize that most are here to be social, with help available as needed.

Ha

I see. You've proclaimed my intepretation to be problematic, and your reasons don't need to be stated since they are intuitively obvious to the most casual reader.

Besides, it would probably take more than a soundbite.

Not to mention that some (most?) of us have been economied out over the past few months. We didn't ER because we want to sit around being serious at great length all the time. Pissing and moaning is OK, gets it out of our systems. But if you'd read other threads you'd realize that most are here to be social, with help available as needed.

harley, this isn't really fair. The topic was "The Economy". I'm new here, and I'm getting instant hostility for posting my thoughts. Yes, they were winded and I apologized. There were at least a couple of people who were genuinely interested and were engaging with me. I honestly don't understand why people feel so territorial about these forums, and feel they must gang up on others to enforce a certain posting "culture." You know, just scroll on and shut up if you're not interested...

I didn't think I was pissing and moaning. I just thought I would find some kindred spirits here being FIREd myself, and it looks like I was sadly mistaken. The place feels unwelcoming. I've unintentionally irritated the locals, so I'll just move right along down the highway.

I may be a big galloot but I can take a hint.

BG,

IMHO, your posts are a little long-winded, however I also sense that you are being sincere. Thus, although your position does not represent the majority view, I feel you are entitled to your opinion and that we, as a board, should not hammer on you simply because you expouse a view that we may collectively disagree with. As for myself, I would be surprised if we are looking at another 50 to 75% drop, or that it will take 5 to 25 years to recover. Having said that, I do agree with the general principle that markets tend to overshoot on the way up, and overshoot on the way down. Thus, I wouldn't be too surprised if we still have a way to drop before we see the bottom. I, too, have no crystal ball . . . but if I were to venture a guess I'd say the bottom was somewhere in the neighborhood of 7500 on the DOW (if I'm being optimistic), and as low as 6000 if I were to be more pessimistic. How long it will take to recover is a tough call, but I don't expect to see a V-shaped recovery this time.

harley, this isn't really fair. The topic was "The Economy". I'm new here, and I'm getting instant hostility for posting my thoughts. Yes, they were winded and I apologized. There were at least a couple of people who were genuinely interested and were engaging with me. I honestly don't understand why people feel so territorial about these forums, and feel they must gang up on others to enforce a certain posting "culture." You know, just scroll on and shut up if you're not interested...
I didn't think I was pissing and moaning. I just thought I would find some kindred spirits here being FIREd myself, and it looks like I was sadly mistaken. The place feels unwelcoming. I've unintentionally irritated the locals, so I'll just move right along down the highway.
11 posts and you're outta here? Without a moderator assist that has to be some sort of record. Even Millionaire Mommy Next Door stuck it out for longer than that.

There's an alternative explanation to what you choose to interpret as hostility. My point is that prolix essays don't get much discussion because many of the issues have been beaten to death by other posters over the previous months/years and not everyone is going to drag up those old threads.

Posters tend to share a common vocabulary based on the books & articles recommended here, and a lot of that comes from the FAQs and the FAQ archives. What you see as a wonderful discovery, new and untarnished, may have been exhaustively discussed by the last poster to have made that same wonderful discovery a month or two ago. What you see as a fresh & interesting topic has possibly burned out the rest of the crowd, especially after a couple years of election campaigns and economic proselytizing.

You use words like "irrefutable", "no uncertain terms", and "data don't lie". Not much room for discussion, unless you're looking for a bunch of sycophants. And those absolutes tend to shut down dialogue rather than encourage a closer examination of the various interpretations of the data.

For someone who claims to prefer not to be taken seriously, you're sporting a thin skin. You could take the time to get to know the way the topics have been discussed here, to read the old threads on keywords you're interested in, and to generally understand the culture you've chosen to immerse yourself in.

Or you can shout your thoughts out to the room, stomp your feet when you don't get what you want, and storm off in a huff.

I've unintentionally irritated the locals, so I'll just move right along down the highway.

Don't let a few forum comments scare you away. I enjoyed your posts and your point of view though maybe a tad on the long side. What keeps the quality in the forum is hearing from more than the same handful of "ten a day posters".

Remember that you are going to need some very thick skin for this downturn as well as the ability to just step back and laugh. Think of this as another test of your new approach to life.

Cheers

I hope you haven't left already. I found your posts to be interesting, although they are probably targeted at the wrong audience. I read this forum for the same reason I read perma-bear forums and trading forums . . . except in this case to see what the most stubborn of the buy and hold group are thinking. You're probably better off not trying to engage them in a serious discussion, as they are quite rigid in their views and aren't likely to be too receptive to different ideas (especially given their position in the current market . . . they were a lot friendlier at DOW 14000). There is a lot of good information here and it's worth spending the time to read much of it.

I read this forum for the same reason I read perma-bear forums and trading forums . . . except in this case to see what the most stubborn of the buy and hold group are thinking. You're probably better off not trying to engage them in a serious discussion, as they are quite rigid in their views and aren't likely to be too receptive to different ideas (especially given their position in the current market . . . they were a lot friendlier at DOW 14000).
Interesting that you apparently consider those of us who post here to be the human equivalent of lab rats in a science experiment. And after six years on the forum and 650 posts, you refer to forum members as "them", not "us".

You have a nice day. :)

Interesting that you apparently consider those of us who post here to be the human equivalent of lab rats in a science experiment. And after six years on the forum and 650 posts, you refer to forum members as "them", not "us".

You have a nice day. :)

guilty and guilty.

Back
Top Bottom