Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

The End of Senior Citizen Discounts?
Old 08-30-2005, 08:35 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

The End of Senior Citizen Discounts?

As a leading edge boomer, I just turned 59. I'm thinking that pt won't be long before I'm finally eligible to suck up some of those senior freebees/discounts. Ah, but my sweet wife says that there are too many of us, and that when the boomers hit, companies won't be able to afford discounts for so many. Already, she says, people are lined up at Costco for the disabled parking spots. Can this be true? No cheap Metro pass? No Golden Eagle pass? No Sizzler salad bar? Say it ain't so!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: The End of Senior Citizen Discounts?
Old 08-30-2005, 08:47 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL
Can this be true? No cheap Metro pass? No Golden Eagle pass? No Sizzler salad bar? Say it ain't so!
It ain't so...at least I don't think it is. If retailers and others began discontinuing senior discounts, the gray panthers boomers would create a big stink. "Hell hath no fury like a geezer scorned."

REW
Old 08-30-2005, 09:34 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
"Hell hath no fury like a geezer scorned."
They will be like wal-mart, make it up on volume.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:38 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I agree with maddy - I would think that the discounts might get better, pulling in a growing population with money to spend.

At 50, I'm not quite to the "senior citizen" level yet, but DH & I are talking about switching banks, and the one we are considering has a special checking account for "over-50" with lower minimums & no charges. Wahoo! I am SO ready to take advantage of the senior citizen perks!!!

CJ
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 08:06 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

At one of the local food store chains here they offer a senior day on Tuesdays for anyone 55 and older... 10% discount on food items with a minimum of a $20.00 purchase. The 10% comes off prior to
any other discounts and/or coupons.

Gonzo
Old 08-31-2005, 08:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo
At one of the local food store chains here they offer a senior day on Tuesdays for anyone 55 and older... 10% discount on food items with a minimum of a $20.00 purchase. The 10% comes off prior to
any other discounts and/or coupons.

Gonzo
Minnesota Twins have Senior Days $5 off AND you get to run around the bases after the game! Actually I think they say walk..worried someone will die on the basepaths....
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 09:05 AM   #7

I sometimes feel a little guilty taking advantage of senior discounts (I'm 58). The local movie theater offers discounts to age 55 and over. Now that we are FIRE, with the kids off on their own, we are much better off financially than we were in our 30's and 40's when we were savng frantically for college expenses. We could easily afford the regular ticket price but I won't turn down the discount. Many local businesses offer senior discounts for over age 62. I will accept those too when I reach that age.

Grumpy
Old 08-31-2005, 10:05 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Just booked a cruise with my girlfriend to Bermuda at what I thought was a very reasonable (e.g., cheap) rate. Right aftrewards I discovered even better rates on line. Eventually figured out they were senior rates (over 55..I just turned). Called cruise line (Celebrity) and was able to "ugrade" (ie. pay $20 more for a room that was supposed to be $350 more, even with the steep discount already being offered. Yeahhhh!!!!!
jerryo is offline   Reply With Quote