The End of Senior Citizen Discounts?

SteveL

Recycles dryer sheets
As a leading edge boomer, I just turned 59. I'm thinking that pt won't be long before I'm finally eligible to suck up some of those senior freebees/discounts. Ah, but my sweet wife says that there are too many of us, and that when the boomers hit, companies won't be able to afford discounts for so many. Already, she says, people are lined up at Costco for the disabled parking spots. Can this be true? No cheap Metro pass? No Golden Eagle pass? No Sizzler salad bar? Say it ain't so! :(

SteveL said:
Can this be true? No cheap Metro pass? No Golden Eagle pass? No Sizzler salad bar? Say it ain't so! :(

It ain't so...at least I don't think it is. If retailers and others began discontinuing senior discounts, the gray panthers boomers would create a big stink. "Hell hath no fury like a geezer scorned." ;)

REW

I agree with maddy - I would think that the discounts might get better, pulling in a growing population with money to spend.

At 50, I'm not quite to the "senior citizen" level yet, but DH & I are talking about switching banks, and the one we are considering has a special checking account for "over-50" with lower minimums & no charges. Wahoo! I am SO ready to take advantage of the senior citizen perks!!!

CJ

At one of the local food store chains here they offer a senior day on Tuesdays for anyone 55 and older... 10% discount on food items with a minimum of a $20.00 purchase. The 10% comes off prior to
any other discounts and/or coupons.

Gonzo

Gonzo said:
At one of the local food store chains here they offer a senior day on Tuesdays for anyone 55 and older... 10% discount on food items with a minimum of a $20.00 purchase. The 10% comes off prior to
any other discounts and/or coupons.

Gonzo
Minnesota Twins have Senior Days $5 off AND you get to run around the bases after the game! :D Actually I think they say walk..worried someone will die on the basepaths....

I sometimes feel a little guilty taking advantage of senior discounts (I'm 58). The local movie theater offers discounts to age 55 and over. Now that we are FIRE, with the kids off on their own, we are much better off financially than we were in our 30's and 40's when we were savng frantically for college expenses. We could easily afford the regular ticket price but I won't turn down the discount. Many local businesses offer senior discounts for over age 62. I will accept those too when I reach that age.

Grumpy

Just booked a cruise with my girlfriend to Bermuda at what I thought was a very reasonable (e.g., cheap) rate. Right aftrewards I discovered even better rates on line. Eventually figured out they were senior rates (over 55..I just turned). Called cruise line (Celebrity) and was able to "ugrade" (ie. pay $20 more for a room that was supposed to be $350 more, even with the steep discount already being offered. Yeahhhh!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom