The Frustration of ER

limpid lizard

Recycles dryer sheets
Here I am enjoying myself, ten months out from freedom day, and the phone rings. I was offered a 6 month contract that would cover my expenses for almost the next two years. It would reduce my withdrawl rate to zero for that time. It would be good work, with out the mundane b.s. that makes a job so miserable. Life was pleasant before the call, now I have to make a decision.

6 months will go by like lightning. I would take the deal since its "good work w/o the mundane BS".

Do it! What could be the worst that could happen? You'd get tired of it and quit? :2funny:

...It would be good work....

Is "good work" an oxymoron ? Just joking.

People retire to:
1. End a job they hate, and/or
2. Allow time for "living" (hobbies, volunteer, "life mission" stuff)

If you're excited about the project - that erases #1 above.

I'd make sure project doesn't consume 80 hours/week and not allow time to "ramp into #2 (buy the boat, etc)

I'd go for it.

I am excited about the project for a number of reasons. This contract when completed would entitle me to unemployment from megacorp. I'd just love to get a little bit more from them.

If you're really sure about the freedom from stuff that made work a drag, then I'd go for it. Personally, I like the work I do. When the miserable j*b stuff isn't part of the equation, my co-workers and I sometime chat about "I can't believe they pay us to do this fun stuff" But when the unpleasantness happens we all want out as soon as possible. A six month stint of rewarding work without the bs sounds like a fun vacation - and not bad that they make it so remunerative. Might even be reasonably tolerable if it starts to go sideways - since you will have a definite short timeframe and exit point already in sight - not to mention no reason not to quit if it isn't as nice as they say it's going to be. Downside looks pretty small here. I'd probably take it, if it were offered to me.

6 months isn't long at all considering the financial reward.

It's really an issue of how well padded your retirement nest egg is. If it's super well padded, then you really don't need this. If otherwise, then adding some padding has long term benefits.

Audrey

Fire calc shows a very high 90's ssuccess rate for my making it 40 years on what I have. However, I have to live pretty frugally to do so. The mortgage is the only stickler. Without that, I would be pretty well off.

I had planned on working another couple of years, but the company was messing with the pension and I would have lost a considerable amount by staying. In essence I would have worked for 2-3 years for free. So, I left knowing that living frugally was better than working for free.

Here I am enjoying myself, ten months out from freedom day, and the phone rings. I was offered a 6 month contract that would cover my expenses for almost the next two years. It would reduce my withdrawl rate to zero for that time. It would be good work, with out the mundane b.s. that makes a job so miserable. Life was pleasant before the call, now I have to make a decision.
Well, if you're gonna work for all the right reasons, then it's best to do so before you become accustomed to the ER lifestyle.

"Possum-living ER" is too easily disrupted by "black swan" events. If this would considerably pad the nest egg (or make your lifestyle more tolerable to your standards) then it could be a good thing.

Do it.
With the state the economy will be in during the six months that you're w*rking, you will actually feel better that you have a j*b. (Not a pretty thought compared to being retired I'll allow).

I've been your exact situation a couple of times. I do contract work and have ER'd a couple of times already only to have my old project call me up and ask me to come back to work, usually for 3 to 6 months. Usually it turns into longer than 6 months though, which is the downside to it. But I could decide not to renew my contract at any point. The upside is the increased savings and not drawing money out of your investments. I'd say make the decision a financial one...if you want to pad your savings and the job is bearable, take it. If you have way more money in your savings than you'll ever need, only take the job if you're really bored. It is a nice problem to have though.

One thing I am assured of is the time frame. State, county and city regualtory bodies mandate the months of work. It is construction, I have pushed this crew before, and we get along well. If the job ran over, more than likely I would be asked to start again in April the following year.

Sounds like it would benefit your financial situation in a meaningful way. There are no long term commitments. You don't seem to be too distressed at the thought. So you should definitely do it, IMHO.

Quitter!

Well, you've got 10 responses in favor and none against, so I had to say it.

From a financial and logical stand position, I know the smart thing is to say yes. But, by gawd I have had a fun 10 months. I am off to China in March, and the contract starts after I get back.

I have a meeting about the position next week, and barring complications, I feel a yes coming on.

take it and plan another trip or outing to start 2 weeks after the 6 month stint is done. Nice reward - plus the added padding.

Unless you have a terminal illness with only 6 months to live, I would do it. I have done a similar thing over the last few months. Working(advising) with my replacement here and there, giving him a few pointers. Got a bonus to look forward to in March. Enough to cover my budget for a year. Nice knowing I won't have to tap into my existing portfolio for that period of time. :)

From a financial and logical stand position, I know the smart thing is to say yes. But, by gawd I have had a fun 10 months. I am off to China in March, and the contract starts after I get back.

I have a meeting about the position next week, and barring complications, I feel a yes coming on.

Let us know how it turns out when you make the decision. Personally, I think you should do it. As someone else said, 6 months will go by very quickly and if it would cover two years worth of expenses, it may make your life less stressful after the six months. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom