The Good Citizen

NYEXPAT

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have not had to file tax returns for a number of years. Through a planning error on my part, I have generated income for 2012 & 2013 (equal amount).

I thought I could efile when they opened the spigot yesterday. It took a bit of research to find a company I qualified for due to age and living overseas. I found one who met my needs and after filling out all the forms (1 hour) I am asked for a PIN and/or AGI from my 2011 return. I did not have to file last year so I do not have this # . I was informed that I could contact IRS and have them reset my AGI to zero and this would allow me to proceed.

I called IRS several times yesterday and they ask for SS#,DOB,and 2011 AGI! To make matters worse they accept my SS# my month of birth and as soon as I try to add the day (11) they send me back to the beginning.

Looks like I will have to download forms and do it manually unless somebody has a “work around”?:facepalm:

Check the link in here

Self-Select PIN Method for e-file

specifically where is says

This application will provide taxpayers with a PIN to be used when they cannot locate their Prior Year AGI or Prior Year PIN.

What about just entering 0 for AGI ?

https://www.taxslayer.com/support/K...What-information-do-I-enter-to-sign-my-return

Thanks, the site I used say's not to enter a zero and the link you provided (IRS) will not let me get a PIN either. However, your taxslayer link say's I can, so I will give it a try!

I can recall a form that required a BLANK instead of a ZERO (value). Stupid programming, but it happens. Might want to try it.

-ERD50

NYEXPAT, may I ask which e-filing software you are using?

Some of the software packages did not support a foreign filing address (as strange as that sounds) in the past. I have been googling, but can't get a confirmed answer for Turbo Tax.

Apparently, the direct free e-file service of the IRS started supporting this with certain conditions.

Before, I just used my Texas mailing address to file my federal taxes. But now with ObamaCare, I have to establish my foreign residency using my foreign address to avoid the upcoming ObamaCare tax penalties.

OK, I did find on the Turbo Tax web site that Turbo Tax apparently supports foreign address e-filing now, as long as you have a US bank account -- and maybe even that is not required if you have zero tax liability. Their site does not allow me to provide a direct link so I cut and paste below:
Can I e-file with a foreign address?
Article ID: GEN12340

Yes, you can file federal (IRS) returns with a foreign address. However, there are several restrictions regarding foreign-address returns:

Due to IRS regulations, you will need a U.S. bank account to receive your tax refund.
Similarly, you'll need a U.S. bank account or credit card to pay owed taxes and product fees.
TurboTax Refund Card and Refund Processing Services require a U.S. address or APO/FPO/DPO address.
Free products which require registration in lieu of payment require a U.S. address or APO/FPO/DPO address.
At this time, you can also e-file Arizona, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, Ohio, and Rhode Island tax returns using a foreign address. (States not mentioned either don't allow foreign-address e-filing or are not yet set up in TurboTax to do so.)

Entering your foreign address
When you get to the What's Your Mailing Address? screen in TurboTax, select the Other radio button.

Then, select the appropriate option (APO/FPO/DPO, Foreign address, or US Possession). TurboTax will then expand the correct address format for you.

What if my employer has a foreign address?
TurboTax also support foreign addresses for employers when e-filing.

When you enter your W-2 information, select the Other radio button in the Box c: Employer's Name and Address area, and then select the type of address below it. TurboTax will present the correct field format and choices for your selection.

NYEXPAT, may I ask which e-filing software you are using?

I tried using a company called 1040NOW that was on the IRS website. I solved my initial problem with the AGI/PIN by putting in a zero. When I went to efile they wanted to charge me $19.95 for my free efile (apparently, I did not make enough money). Probably, better to just stay off the "GRID" for now.

I tried using a company called 1040NOW that was on the IRS website. I solved my initial problem with the AGI/PIN by putting in a zero. When I went to efile they wanted to charge me $19.95 for my free efile (apparently, I did not make enough money). Probably, better to just stay off the "GRID" for now.

I think your income has to be less than 57K to use those "free" efilers. I send in paper because I don't want to pay $7.95 to make it easier for the IRS to take my money :LOL:

Did you look at the online forms on the same IRS website ? You can fill those in and submit free.

Access Free File Fillable Forms Here

Before, I just used my Texas mailing address to file my federal taxes. But now with ObamaCare, I have to establish my foreign residency using my foreign address to avoid the upcoming ObamaCare tax penalties.

The ACA penalties don't start until 2014 though. So, I plan to file using my US mailing address for 2012 and 2013.

The ACA penalties don't start until 2014 though. So, I plan to file using my US mailing address for 2012 and 2013.
I would just say be careful and understand the rules well, since I believe it takes a full year, and possibly a full calendar tax year, to establish residency abroad for tax purposes. So if you file your address as in the USA when filing your 2013 taxes in April, 2014, they may say hey you were living in the USA in April, 2014 because that is what you put down for your residential address at the time of filing.

For the bonafide residence test, for instance, you need to have established residency for a full calendar year. It's true you could amend back taxes later after you have established residency abroad but I think you get the idea of what I am saying, it could be a hassle. At least that is my current understanding.

I would just say be careful and understand the rules well, since I believe it takes a full year, and possibly a full calendar tax year, to establish residency abroad for tax purposes. So if you file your address as in the USA when filing your 2013 taxes in April, 2014, they may say hey you were living in the USA in April, 2014 because that is what you put down for your residential address at the time of filing.

For the bonafide residence test, for instance, you need to have established residency for a full calendar year. It's true you could amend back taxes later after you have established residency abroad but I think you get the idea of what I am saying, it could be a hassle. At least that is my current understanding.

Actually, since I posted that I discovered that Turbotax now allows the user to identify the foreign country he lives in while providing a US mailing address and will let him efile. I don't remember seeing this option in past version of Turbotax. Anyway, I'll use that since it meets my goal of having any correspondence from the IRS always go to my mail forwarding company.

Back
Top Bottom