The great napping poll

What is your napping practice and your views on napping?

• I never nap. Napping is unproductive and dissolute. Very bad.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I very occasionally nap but feel guilty. Only short naps so my SO doesn't find out.

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • More days than not I DO NOT nap. But I enjoy it when I do, with a twinge of guilt.

Votes: 40 23.3%
  • More days than not I DO nap. And I enjoy it with no guilt whatsoever. I don't give a flying rat's

Votes: 50 29.1%
  • I nap every day and absolutely love it. But no more that an 45 minutes.

Votes: 17 9.9%
  • I nap every day and wonder how anyone could NOT nap. Usually more that 45 minutes a day.

Votes: 16 9.3%
  • I never nap. I just don't feel the need. But if I did I wouldn't feel guilty.

Votes: 38 22.1%

• Total voters

steadystate

Recycles dryer sheets
OK, this has nothing to do with money but this forum is where everyone hangs out, so too bad. So, I nap. I said it and I'm proud of it. However, not everyone embraces napping and I wonder how members of these excellent forums view the matter. This should be fun ... our napping demographics!

I occasionally nap by accident. DW is not aware of this so don't tell her. When I do fall off, it's only for a few minutes (I think). The dog knows:(

Allegedly I was not good at this as a baby or a toddler. It's a skill that seems to improve with age.

Not enough choices! I never nap, but I certainly don't think it's anything useless or sinister.. I just don't ever have any desire to nap. I had only that one choice though, so Ichecked it "under protest". ;)

Not enough choices! I never nap, but I certainly don't think it's anything useless or sinister.. I just don't ever have any desire to nap. I had only that one choice though, so Ichecked it "under protest". ;)

Same.

As usual with these polls, I can't vote, my choice is not represented.

I nap when I feel like it. It is normally pretty rare, I don't think I have napped for weeks now. Other times it might be a few days a week - just depends how I feel.

But there is zero guilt. In fact, just the opposite. I nap to fell better. I'm tired, so a "power nap" of 20-30 minutes helps to make me feel energized. I'm doing DW, and the world, a favor by napping as I am a better person after a nap, if I needed it.

And if I feel the urge to exercise, a nap will cure me of it (W.C. Fields?).

-ERD50

I don't nap often and I don't feel guilty when I do. About 20 years ago somebody introduced me to the idea of power naps (15 - 20 minutes or so) and I use that periodically when I need a recharge during the day - mostly due to physical exertion.

When I was rebuilding our deck recently I didn't take naps but I sure went to bed early!

I have always been fond of naps. I average 3-4 a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Moderator ... Once again I screwed up on my poll questions; they are hard to design! Could you add an option: "I never nap. I just don't feel the need. But if I did I wouldn't feel guilty."

MOD EDIT - that option has been added

Last edited by a moderator:
I nap every day with my 2 year old. He naps for 2 hours and I nap from 30 min -1 hour. It is our special time of the day as the rest of the day he is in school or playing with the nanny. Incidently, he prefers to nap with Fox news on.

No time for napping.

I never nap. I have nothing against it but napping feels unnatural to me. Even as a kid, I did not like it. I usually feel groggy afterwards and not at all refreshed like most people do.

I nap even before retirement, way before retirement. I know I have a special gift.

As a rule, I do not nap. Very occasionally I feel the need to nap, and then I do so, guilt free. Statements about SOs are irrelevant as I do not have one.

I generally nap every day in the winter, maybe once a week in the summer. And at different times. Sometimes at 9 or 10 am, sometimes at 4-5 pm, sometimes midday.

Why are we mixing napping with guilt? What do these two things have to do with each other?

We're retired folks here, why would we feel guilty if we take a nap?

I never nap. I have enough trouble as it is falling asleep at night. If I napped, I'd probably be up till 4:00 or 5:00 am.

Why are we mixing napping with guilt? What do these two things have to do with each other?

We're retired folks here, why would we feel guilty if we take a nap?

A well designed survey addresses only one concept per multiple choice question. But we are not operating at a professional market research standard, or a scientific standard, here.

A well designed survey addresses only one concept per multiple choice question. But we are not operating at a professional market research standard, or a scientific standard, here.

mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. I created a silly poll, on the spur of the moment. I admit I joke around too much and should have created only one concept per multiple choice question. But I couldn't resist the silliness. Anyway, hope folks have fun with it.

Now that I'm retired, I take a nap every day, for about 30-45 minutes, sometime in the afternoon. Once in a while, I might take a second nap later if I need another boost.

Before I retired, I only napped on weekends but did so pretty regularly.

I drink about 3 cups of regular coffee every day, the last one at night between 7 and 9 pm. And I fall asleep at night within 5 minutes of my head hitting the pillow.

Admittedly, I'm strange.

Last edited:
I rarely nap...maybe once every couple of months. I'm usually too busy. When I do nap, it's because I've overdone it (whatever that means at the time) and slept poorly multiple days in a row. And then I feel guilty because DW thinks naps are for lazy people. Never mind she takes naps much more often than I do, but that's related to her current medical condition.

Napping is one of the great benefits of retirement! I nap most days. I'm an early riser and typically take a nap late morning or early afternoon. If I miss a nap I go to bed early.

I take a short nap more days than not (depends how bad the insomnia is). I'm fine with it and so is DW - gives me more energy late afternoon and evening - so none of the options is right for me.

mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. I created a silly poll, on the spur of the moment. I admit I joke around too much and should have created only one concept per multiple choice question. But I couldn't resist the silliness. Anyway, hope folks have fun with it.

If I wanted a scientific study, I'd go elsewhere. I think your poll fits the spirit of this forum. (at least you didn't call it a 'pole')

Napping is one of the best things about RE! Sometimes for 40 minutes, sometimes for 10 minutes. Either way I wake up refreshed and feeling great!

Back
Top Bottom