Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-12-2013, 05:04 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
I've notice the increase in the use of the word 'folks' also, but attributed it to the negative reaction big shots get when they use the phrase 'you people'. Pretty much everyone hates that term. Apparently we need a version of the spanish 'ustedes" in English.
Y'all

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2013, 05:31 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have already told my girlfriend, who is 8 years younger than me, that she will get the condo in case something happens to me. In the meantime, I plan to stay here. No need to downsize or upsize. I understand that many seniors with large houses they can no longer afford or live in will have to downsize in the next few years.

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #43

Any assumption that every senior will sell thier home is significantly flawed. Real life examples are my MIL and mother ... both in 4br homes alone and wanting not only maintenance but IMPROVEMENTs. First floor access to bed and bath so they can stay "forever" AND have the room to invite thier clan to the house when needed.

Any talk of downsizing results in the evil-eye ... end of discussion.

OTOH ... if they all die at once ...
Old 04-12-2013, 07:24 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I am beginning to have a new, helpful way to identify demagoguery. Frequency of the word "folks" in interviews and speeches. Looking back, I don't think anyone has ever used the word folks to me, who wasn't trying to manipulate me.
You old folks are always thinking 'conspiracy theory'...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:25 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Y'all
You'uns

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
Any assumption that every senior will sell thier home is significantly flawed. Real life examples are my MIL and mother ... both in 4br homes alone and wanting not only maintenance but IMPROVEMENTs. First floor access to bed and bath so they can stay "forever" AND have the room to invite thier clan to the house when needed.

Any talk of downsizing results in the evil-eye ... end of discussion.
For now, I would not want to move out of my home either. At 57 I don't have to and I am still doing all the yard work, stripping and staining decks, cleaning the house etc. I anticipate needing some help within the next 10 years though!

When I put an addition on 15 years ago, it was a first floor master suite and a rather large one at that. 900 square feet that included walk in closets, large bath and wide hallways so a wheel chair could navigate.

Neither of my parents went into a care facility and they could more than afford to do so. I don't plan to either. Granted there could be unforeseen circumstances that require me to do so but hopefully not.

I know more elderly people who are NOT in a care facility than those that are. My mother's 95 year old friend is still in her 4 bedroom, 2 story home (chair lift) and does not want to go to a care facility either. She can still drive!

Childless couples (understandably) seem to have the most concern.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:00 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You'uns
Youse guys.

I'm going to yell "Folks get off my lawn!" from now on.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You'uns
My favorite from all the British shows I'm watching on Netflix:

You lot
Old 04-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
I've notice the increase in the use of the word 'folks' also, but attributed it to the negative reaction big shots get when they use the phrase 'you people'. Pretty much everyone hates that term. Apparently we need a version of the spanish 'ustedes" in English.

Quote:
Y'all
Except that 'ustedes' is plural, and 'Y'all' is singular (the plural of 'Y'all' being 'All Y'all')

How to Use Y'all Correctly - Southern Slang

Tyro
Old 04-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
Any assumption that every senior will sell thier home is significantly flawed.
Agreed, however, the assumption that every home will -- eventually -- be divested is pretty much a lock. Some may still be passed on through multiple generations, but I would think the number (and number of generations) is decreasing.

Tyro
Old 04-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I am another who thinks that this is overblown.... even if all the seniors wanted to divest... economics would mean that it would not happen...

First, there will be a number of seniors who buy a smaller place. BTW, there is not a lot of supply, so prices will go up on these...

So, the next wave of seniors will look at how expensive it is to move into a smaller place and say 'F## it', I will just stay here....

Another reason that it is overblown is that there is still a pretty big growth rate to our population...

Third... birth rates have been going up and are higher than the end of the baby boom.... it is not like the number has dropped a big percent.... here are the numbers in thousand by year (from Census):

First time saved really bad... now only bad... sorry...

1960 4,258 1965 3,760 1970 3,731 1971 3,556 1972 3,258 1973 3,137 1974 3,160 1975 3,144 1976 3,168 1977 3,327 1978 3,333 1979 3,494 1980 3,612 1981 3,629 1982 3,680 1983 3,638 1984 3,669 1985 3,760 1986 3,756 1987 3,809 1988 3,909 1989 4,040 1990 4,158 1991 4,110 1992 4,065 1993 4,000 1994 3,952 1995 3,899 1996 3,891 1997 3,880 1998 3,941 1999 3,959 2000 4,058 2001 4,025 2002 4,021 2003 4,089 2004 4,112 2005 4,138 2006 4,266 2007 4,316 2008 4,248
Old 04-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #52
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I am another who thinks that this is overblown.... even if all the seniors wanted to divest... economics would mean that it would not happen...

First, there will be a number of seniors who buy a smaller place. BTW, there is not a lot of supply, so prices will go up on these...

So, the next wave of seniors will look at how expensive it is to move into a smaller place and say 'F## it', I will just stay here....
(emphasis mine) Now that you mention it, a lot of seniors are already saying that, IMO. Moving is a LOT of work. I have been thinking of moving at some point, but gosh, when you think of all that effort to get the house ready to put on the market (yet again), and pack everything up and move it, and get the new home fixed up and renovated the way I want it, that's a lot of work. And then, when you add to that the ridiculous expense involved in order to accomplish all of this, it makes my present home look so appealing to me. Even though it is small enough, it has its flaws; but for now I would rather live with them than go through all that.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
So, the next wave of seniors will look at how expensive it is to move into a smaller place and say 'F## it', I will just stay here.
+2. All the costs & logistics would seem to be a significant deterrent, IIRC the link said (only) 7% of seniors over 65 were likely to relocate. We plan to move one more time, but we're in no hurry because it will be very disruptive in terms of logistics, money and social relationships...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyro View Post
Except that 'ustedes' is plural, and 'Y'all' is singular (the plural of 'Y'all' being 'All Y'all')

Tyro
I am a native Texan, and I would never use "y'all" to refer to a single person.
I would use it to refer to a small group, maybe 2 or 3.

DH and I are in our late 50s and would consider moving one more time, if we could find the right place for the right price in our preferred area. In fact, we are heading down toward the Central Coast pretty soon to do some househunting again.

But we may just as easily stay put, too, and continue to fix things up around here, with an eye on marketability but also on our own preferences.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #55
Dryer sheet wannabe

Send a message via Skype™ to warren
Been in my 4 Bdr split level over 30 years now and haven't even considered downsizing. We both have hobbies that require "rooms" and with our mortgage payment under $600, where would we begin to find something that affordable? If push comes to shove, we just take out a Reverse Mortgage and the market won't matter until the kids get it
Old 04-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

I can tell you what would move seniors out and fast. Natural gas prices going to $12/mmbtu.

Seems very unlikely now, but back in '07 today's $4 and 2012's sub $2 prices seemed very unlikely too.

Bernanke may be able to suppress interest rates, but I doubt he would even try with natural gas.

Ha
Old 04-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #57
Dryer sheet wannabe

Send a message via Skype™ to warren
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I can tell you what would move seniors out and fast. Natural gas prices going to $12/mmbtu.

Seems very unlikely now, but back in '07 today's $4 and 2012's sub $2 prices seemed very unlikely too.

Bernanke may be able to suppress interest rates, but I doubt he would even try with natural gas.

Ha
Fortunately I live near Portland Oregon where hydro-power takes gas off my short list of ways to run my home. I belong to a Public Utility District so even in winter my bill is under $200 for power, sewer and water combined. Actually that's an approximate figure, since my wife does the bills.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyro View Post

Tyro
Y'all is plural. All y'all just refers to a much bigger group.

Actually, in Spanish the equivalents are "ustedes" and "todos ustedes", and I've heard "todos ustedes" fairly often.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Surprised no one has mentioned W. PA's "yunz." Then again, I've never heard "yunz" in a really friendly context. It seems to be used to inform people they are wrong, or had better stop doing something.

Amethyst
Old 04-13-2013, 01:35 AM   #60

Quote:
Y'all is plural. All y'all just refers to a much bigger group.

Actually, in Spanish the equivalents are "ustedes" and "todos ustedes", and I've heard "todos ustedes" fairly often.
As with many things, it depends on the sources.

Y'all - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"There is long-standing disagreement about whether y’all can have primarily singular reference."
I didn't see any sources that used "ustedes" as singular. YMMV.

Formal and Informal 'You' - Spanish Grammar for Beginners
"Plural formal: ustedes"
ustedes - Wiktionary
Pronoun
ustedes, pl
  1. (formal in Spain) you (plural); plural form of usted
  2. (Latin America, Canary Islands, Western Andalusia) you (plural)
Tyro