Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-13-2013, 05:32 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

The Millenial's are coming!

The next generation - Gen Y "millenial's" are the kids of baby boomers born 1980-2005 (or so depending on who's study) and there are more of them than there are baby boomers.

The largest number of people I am selling houses to these days are first time homebuyers. I'd be more worried about who is going to buy all of the McMansions in the outer suburbs as a trend since this younger generation seems less inclined to buy big and more inclined to living closer to the city center.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post
Maybe. All real estate is subject to local conditions.
Certiamento!

Years ago we moved to what has often been described as one of America's best places to retire (not for that reason, but it was a nice benefit). Housing values do appear to be bouyed by the influx of retirees from all over the country.

Years ago I worked in an uber-liberal West Coast city for a brilliant East Coast liberal who was oddly set against immigration. I asked him, who is going to buy your house? No answer, but I think he got the message.

Still, I think that US housing values have been overwhelmingly subject to regional forces rather than the demographic shift--at least, so far.

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyro View Post
As with many things, it depends on the sources.

Y'all - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"There is long-standing disagreement about whether y’all can have primarily singular reference."
I didn't see any sources that used "ustedes" as singular. YMMV.

Formal and Informal 'You' - Spanish Grammar for Beginners
"Plural formal: ustedes"
ustedes - Wiktionary
Pronoun
ustedes, pl
  1. (formal in Spain) you (plural); plural form of usted
  2. (Latin America, Canary Islands, Western Andalusia) you (plural)
Tyro
Like ustedes, y'all is not singular. I don't care whether a "vocal minority" argues otherwise according to Wikipedia, I have been around US southerners from various states all my life and never heard it used other than plural.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:02 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

All y'all are getting off topic with this y'all talk.

And thats all I've got to say about that.

Forrest, Forrest Gump
Old 04-14-2013, 12:51 AM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Like ustedes, y'all is not singular. I don't care whether a "vocal minority" argues otherwise according to Wikipedia, I have been around US southerners from various states all my life and never heard it used other than plural.
I have, but it's not worth starting a second Civil War over.
"Remember: Y'all is singular. All y'all is plural. All y'all's is plural possessive." ~ Kinky Friedman
Old 04-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #66

One other factor that makes this looming "crisis" different is that it has nothing to do with credit. The seniors looking to "get out" of their houses are not as likely to be over extended, or underwater, but have considerable equity built up and so they should still come out ok...
Very different from the last housing crisis.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post
One other factor that makes this looming "crisis" different is that it has nothing to do with credit. The seniors looking to "get out" of their houses are not as likely to be over extended, or underwater, but have considerable equity built up and so they should still come out ok...
Very different from the last housing crisis.
But their neighbors who are >not< seniors might have less equity, more reason to have to relocate, and therefore bigger problems (if you buy the reasoning in the article--I'm not so sure).
Residential real estate probably isn't the "sure thing" for the next few decade that it has been in post WW-II America. I don't think that's a crisis. People might be better advised to put their dollars to work by investing in companies that produce services and things of value, or by loaning money to such companies. That seems a lot more sustainable than a residential real estate pyramid scheme.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
But their neighbors who are >not< seniors might have less equity, more reason to have to relocate, and therefore bigger problems (if you buy the reasoning in the article--I'm not so sure).
Residential real estate probably isn't the "sure thing" for the next few decade that it has been in post WW-II America. I don't think that's a crisis. People might be better advised to put their dollars to work by investing in companies that produce services and things of value, or by loaning money to such companies. That seems a lot more sustainable than a residential real estate pyramid scheme.
Except the thesis-it is right in the title of this thread- is that this crisis is from a "SENIOR SELL OFF" not the senior's neighbor sell off...so I am still not convinced this is a looming disaster akin to the last housing crisis....in fact most of the financial disasters we have experienced all seem to come from too much credit, not too much equity, or too big of a house.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would appreciate y'all youse seniors born between 1946 and 1964 tell me the exact year and day youse all guna list youse houses for sale. I want to list mine the month before to beat y'all to the sales table.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #70
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Crisis? What Crisis? There may be a lot of seniors rattling around in big houses that they can't sell for what they would like to get. So they'll stay in place in the big house and when they pass on the heirs will sell the houses for whatever they can get. And this transition certainly won't be taking place over a short period of time. Sort of like the stock market crash that's supposed to come about when we all simultaneously liquidate our portfolios.