Join Early Retirement Today

Re: The hidden costs of too much stuff
Old 04-14-2004, 08:53 PM   #41
Dryer sheet aficionado

My former neighbors had 2 new vehicles ($50K) in the driveway, not in the garage, due to boxes of clothes, etc. BIG hail storm...2 more new vehicles ($60K this time) still in the drive with maybe $500 worth of stuff in the garage. Not the brightest bulbs in the pack..

This same neighbor remarked that she was putting her new appliances, furniture, etc. on her new mortgage since she had 30 years to pay for it all....I was really happy to be the one building her house.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2004, 09:10 PM   #42
Dryer sheet aficionado

There's a great deal to be said for the lack of stuff. My early 20's are referred to as the "I remember when" days and the only thing I miss, other than being just 22, is the simplicity of daily life. I was sooo broke, working 2 jobs but the days were full of simple pleasures and simple choices.

I have a younger brother who has gone over the edge w/resentment for my traveling but won't let go of his acquisition of stuff, even tho' it's taken over his life. He's in the middle of building a 40x60 outbuilding for add'l storage...bldg will have HVAC, bath, etc. so while he's out looking at his "stuff" he can be comfy?? oy.

Old 04-15-2004, 06:43 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Last Hurricane evacuation(Isadore/Lilly 2002) we took family photos,tax/financial records, a change of clothes and pets.

House and all it's stuff are expendable and uninsured. Was tested only once - tornado took roof in 95 and rain wiped out interior. About 20k and sweat equity was sufficient - and four weeks staying at the neighbors.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:14 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This same neighbor remarked that she was putting her new appliances, furniture, etc. on her new mortgage since she had 30 years to pay for it all....I was really happy to be the one building her house.
Those are going to be some darn expensive appliances.

We used to have something similar at my old company. People used to say they were driving a $200,000 car...but it was a taurus. They sold their stock in 95 or 96 just before it went up by a couple of orders of magnatude. I guess the good news is they're only driving a $30,000 car these days...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 04:02 PM   #45
Dryer sheet aficionado

Funny that I just ran into the same neighbor this morning and she said they were having a hot tub delivered, compliments of their tax return. Of course, it wouldn't make any sense to them to pay on the loan we are carrying on some add'l acreage they bought from us. Trust me, I'm not complaining, I look forward to that little check each month...and she has 14 more years to pay for it!

I'm not trying to ridicule her but these are the type of people who complain about "having to work" and finish most sentences with "they/you can afford it." What movie had the line "Our lives are dictated by the choices we make." ? Not sure if the mindset is from upbringing (mine wasn't) or something learned along the way (mine was).