Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2014, 09:14 PM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I've been alerted there is a coyote running around my new home. Can you do anything to discourage them? Or do I have to be Road Runner and let him eat me?
Depends on whether they are entirely habituated to people or not. The ones in my suburban neighborhood are pretty shy when people are around and if you see them they disappear fast. They do claim a number of cats running loose and the occasional little rat/dog on a leash/running loose. If this is the situation by you, make some noise if they are around and they will split. Don't leave trash cans or other sources of an easy meal around. If you have small pets, keep them indoors. I don't spend a lot of time worrying about the two hound dogs when they are in my fenced yard, but I would not let them off the leash.

If your coyotes are not afraid of people, you have a bigger problem. Make noise, throw rocks at them when you see them and in general make it clear they are not welcome. They may eventually regain a healthy fear of humans. Keep some pepper spray or a handgun with you when you frequent areas they may show up. Watch your pets and any kids that might be around.

Where are you? In the West coyotes are still coyotes and average 35 pounds or so. They usually are not very bold. In the East they are heavily hybridized with dogs and wolves, are a lot nastier, and can reach 75+ pounds. Before I escaped the People's Republic of New Jersey there were several cases where a coyote hybrid tried to drag a toddler out of someone's suburban yard.
__________________

__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2014, 09:19 PM   #182
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
steelyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Triangle
Posts: 3,218
Thank you, brewer12345. I am currently (still) in IL, but the home is in North Carolina. I will heed your advice.
__________________

__________________

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:23 PM   #183
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Thank you, brewer12345. I am currently (still) in IL, but the home is in North Carolina. I will heed your advice.
You might be dealing with hybrids. With a bit of luck or some "hazing" (what the wildlife management folks call it), they may be educated that humans are not something to trifle with and keep their distance.
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:01 AM   #184
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
steelyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Triangle
Posts: 3,218
Sometimes a good tune helps. This is a stage full of Canadians:

http://youtu.be/f7MbmXklj3Q
__________________

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:47 AM   #185
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
target2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireBy90 View Post
I heard this discussion on CNBC a couple times recently. One talking head answered that we had to get the full 10%, that if you start rounding up you must also include previous declines of close to 10% and then look at what happened then. After a correction is done, the market should either turn into a down market for few years, or return to test the highs.

The other impact of a correction is shaking faith in the market, which takes some excess out of the market, making investors more careful. Not sure we accomplished this either.

That said, I think we are still at high valuations. Never got below average PEs and certainly no where near fair priced by the Schiller 10 year look back method.

Not sure what you call it, and certainly not sure what it means for the market in the near future.
We're always looking at small bites of reality. I'm not informed enough to know if this was really a correction, or a temporary reaction by those in the market to recent news and company reports.

The idea of faith is very relevant. I think trust is an even better word. The recent drop is not significant in my mind. So, I am expecting another downward leg after this bounce upward.
__________________
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:52 AM   #186
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
nash031's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Coronado
Posts: 1,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
We're always looking at small bites of reality. I'm not informed enough to know if this was really a correction, or a temporary reaction by those in the market to recent news and company reports.

The idea of faith is very relevant. I think trust is an even better word. The recent drop is not significant in my mind. So, I am expecting another downward leg after this bounce upward.
And then another bounce upward to something higher, and then another downward leg, and then another bounce...

Noise!
__________________
"So we beat to our own drummer in the sun;
We ask for nobody's permission to run.
I just wanna live in a world like that;
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:17 AM   #187
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,457
The correction appears to be over. That was fast!
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:43 AM   #188
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Thank you, brewer12345. I am currently (still) in IL, but the home is in North Carolina. I will heed your advice.
NC does have plenty of coyotes. We usually weed them out like any other varmints using firepower. A HMR 17 rifle is inexpensive and works surprisingly well from long distance. Neat round.

RE:10%; that was a quick ride back over the brim
__________________
project2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:49 AM   #189
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
steelyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Triangle
Posts: 3,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by project2501 View Post
NC does have plenty of coyotes. We usually weed them out like any other varmints using firepower. A HMR 17 rifle is inexpensive and works surprisingly well from long distance. Neat round.



RE:10%; that was a quick ride back over the brim

Well, I don't want to shoot anybody (nor do I want to be shot). I will try the rocks and pepper spray approach, I think!
__________________

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:06 PM   #190
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,420
I was browsing at a Fry's a couple of weeks ago and they were selling pepper spray for like $2-4 bucks.

Is that for real?

If you're trying to subdue an animal that is running towards you, the spray better be wide because it might be dicey aiming for its eyes or wherever it's suppose to go.
__________________
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:10 PM   #191
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Well, I don't want to shoot anybody (nor do I want to be shot). I will try the rocks and pepper spray approach, I think!
Another possible approach if you have a frequent visitor coyote and don't want to get too close is to hit them with a round or two from a paintball gun. Pretty harmless to one and all, but gets the point across to the coyote.
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:12 PM   #192
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
steelyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Triangle
Posts: 3,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I was browsing at a Fry's a couple of weeks ago and they were selling pepper spray for like $2-4 bucks.

Is that for real?

If you're trying to subdue an animal that is running towards you, the spray better be wide because it might be dicey aiming for its eyes or wherever it's suppose to go.

I didn't think about that. Here, you just have to scan the roadside for deer on suicide missions.
__________________

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:14 PM   #193
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I was browsing at a Fry's a couple of weeks ago and they were selling pepper spray for like $2-4 bucks.

Is that for real?

If you're trying to subdue an animal that is running towards you, the spray better be wide because it might be dicey aiming for its eyes or wherever it's suppose to go.
No the wild animals all know it's pepper spray, they cower and run away when they see you pulling it out. See attached link, it describes the process.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/humor/jokes57.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
__________________
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:23 PM   #194
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
The correction appears to be over. That was fast!
Yup.

I have the feeling we are experiencing a global living theater, titled "Dance of the Central Bankers'. I think Act 1 just ended and Act 2 is beginning.
__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:57 PM   #195
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
mickeyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Texas~29N/98W
Posts: 5,880
S&P 500 closed today @ 2018.

Time to do nothing again.
__________________
Part-Owner of Texas

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:29 PM   #196
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 882
Hopefully those of you who invested lump sum/windfalls during the year at peak prices took advantage of the dip and harvested losses.
__________________
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:46 PM   #197
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,433
I've read that most corrections are a W curve. Hopefully one more chance for the market timers to get in.
__________________
Retired in 2016. Living off dividends / interest and a mini pension. Freedom.
foxfirev5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:55 PM   #198
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Utrecht
Posts: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Time to do nothing again.
Darn, I was so geared up to act.

Guess I'll keep my strategic reserves on hold for a few more years.
__________________
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:59 PM   #199
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: seattle
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Depends on whether they are entirely habituated to people or not. The ones in my suburban neighborhood are pretty shy when people are around and if you see them they disappear fast. They do claim a number of cats running loose and the occasional little rat/dog on a leash/running loose. If this is the situation by you, make some noise if they are around and they will split. Don't leave trash cans or other sources of an easy meal around. If you have small pets, keep them indoors. I don't spend a lot of time worrying about the two hound dogs when they are in my fenced yard, but I would not let them off the leash.

If your coyotes are not afraid of people, you have a bigger problem. Make noise, throw rocks at them when you see them and in general make it clear they are not welcome. They may eventually regain a healthy fear of humans. Keep some pepper spray or a handgun with you when you frequent areas they may show up. Watch your pets and any kids that might be around.

Where are you? In the West coyotes are still coyotes and average 35 pounds or so. They usually are not very bold. In the East they are heavily hybridized with dogs and wolves, are a lot nastier, and can reach 75+ pounds. Before I escaped the People's Republic of New Jersey there were several cases where a coyote hybrid tried to drag a toddler out of someone's suburban yard.

Those little canned-air boat horns can shake up animals and make them think twice. Easy to carry and are pretty harmless.

As to the correction, I think we need another test.
__________________
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:43 PM   #200
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
Those little canned-air boat horns can shake up animals and make them think twice. Easy to carry and are pretty harmless.

As to the correction, I think we need another test.
If you used one repeatedly, I would wonder about hearing damage from one of those horns.

As for the former correction, I think we are in Xmas rally mode.
__________________

__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Retirement Dissatisfaction is Inevitable Midpack Life after FIRE 59 11-15-2010 06:02 PM
Inflation is inevitable? Gone4Good FIRE and Money 19 05-31-2009 01:39 PM
The bunny-pocalypse is inevitable. HFWR Other topics 9 04-23-2008 09:07 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:05 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.