The Inevitable 10% Correction

I have a lot of mourning doves around the low-desert home, and a friend has said they are good eat. I can easily bag a few, but the thought of having to clean them deters me, and it does not look like there's much meat.

Hey, thanks for the offer. If I accept, I will no longer be the recluse that I am, so allow me to mull it over.

Last edited:
When it comes to cleaning game, youtube is your friend. Doves are pretty easy, especially if you breast them (2 minutes a dove). I usually pluck them and leave them whole, which takes a little longer. At this time of year, all we have around are the invasive Eurasian doves, which can be about the size of a crow. Good eating, though.

Forget to say my wife might file for divorce if I got those doves, particularly the pairs of doves that built a nest in the shrub.

Forget to say my wife might file for divorce if I got those doves, particularly the pairs of doves that built a nest in the shrub.

Ah the things we do for love. I have been forbidden from even looking closely at the many squirrels that frequent our backyard. I also end up cleaning game in the field to avoid offending certain peoples' sensibilities. This has the advantage of keeping the mess out of the house, but when the sun went down 45 minutes ago, the temperature has dropped 20 degrees in that time, your fingers are getting stiff with the cold and you just heard a pack of coyotes start howling over the next ridge, the disadvantages suddenly seem clear.

I've been alerted there is a coyote running around my new home. Can you do anything to discourage them? Or do I have to be Road Runner and let him eat me?

I've been alerted there is a coyote running around my new home. Can you do anything to discourage them? Or do I have to be Road Runner and let him eat me?

Depends on whether they are entirely habituated to people or not. The ones in my suburban neighborhood are pretty shy when people are around and if you see them they disappear fast. They do claim a number of cats running loose and the occasional little rat/dog on a leash/running loose. If this is the situation by you, make some noise if they are around and they will split. Don't leave trash cans or other sources of an easy meal around. If you have small pets, keep them indoors. I don't spend a lot of time worrying about the two hound dogs when they are in my fenced yard, but I would not let them off the leash.

If your coyotes are not afraid of people, you have a bigger problem. Make noise, throw rocks at them when you see them and in general make it clear they are not welcome. They may eventually regain a healthy fear of humans. Keep some pepper spray or a handgun with you when you frequent areas they may show up. Watch your pets and any kids that might be around.

Where are you? In the West coyotes are still coyotes and average 35 pounds or so. They usually are not very bold. In the East they are heavily hybridized with dogs and wolves, are a lot nastier, and can reach 75+ pounds. Before I escaped the People's Republic of New Jersey there were several cases where a coyote hybrid tried to drag a toddler out of someone's suburban yard.

Thank you, brewer12345. I am currently (still) in IL, but the home is in North Carolina. I will heed your advice.

Thank you, brewer12345. I am currently (still) in IL, but the home is in North Carolina. I will heed your advice.

You might be dealing with hybrids. With a bit of luck or some "hazing" (what the wildlife management folks call it), they may be educated that humans are not something to trifle with and keep their distance.

I heard this discussion on CNBC a couple times recently. One talking head answered that we had to get the full 10%, that if you start rounding up you must also include previous declines of close to 10% and then look at what happened then. After a correction is done, the market should either turn into a down market for few years, or return to test the highs.

The other impact of a correction is shaking faith in the market, which takes some excess out of the market, making investors more careful. Not sure we accomplished this either.

That said, I think we are still at high valuations. Never got below average PEs and certainly no where near fair priced by the Schiller 10 year look back method.

Not sure what you call it, and certainly not sure what it means for the market in the near future.
We're always looking at small bites of reality. I'm not informed enough to know if this was really a correction, or a temporary reaction by those in the market to recent news and company reports.

The idea of faith is very relevant. I think trust is an even better word. The recent drop is not significant in my mind. So, I am expecting another downward leg after this bounce upward.

We're always looking at small bites of reality. I'm not informed enough to know if this was really a correction, or a temporary reaction by those in the market to recent news and company reports.

The idea of faith is very relevant. I think trust is an even better word. The recent drop is not significant in my mind. So, I am expecting another downward leg after this bounce upward.

And then another bounce upward to something higher, and then another downward leg, and then another bounce...

Noise!

NC does have plenty of coyotes. We usually weed them out like any other varmints using firepower. A HMR 17 rifle is inexpensive and works surprisingly well from long distance. Neat round.

RE:10%; that was a quick ride back over the brim

NC does have plenty of coyotes. We usually weed them out like any other varmints using firepower. A HMR 17 rifle is inexpensive and works surprisingly well from long distance. Neat round.

RE:10%; that was a quick ride back over the brim

Well, I don't want to shoot anybody (nor do I want to be shot). I will try the rocks and pepper spray approach, I think!

I was browsing at a Fry's a couple of weeks ago and they were selling pepper spray for like $2-4 bucks.

Is that for real?

If you're trying to subdue an animal that is running towards you, the spray better be wide because it might be dicey aiming for its eyes or wherever it's suppose to go.

Well, I don't want to shoot anybody (nor do I want to be shot). I will try the rocks and pepper spray approach, I think!

Another possible approach if you have a frequent visitor coyote and don't want to get too close is to hit them with a round or two from a paintball gun. Pretty harmless to one and all, but gets the point across to the coyote.

I was browsing at a Fry's a couple of weeks ago and they were selling pepper spray for like $2-4 bucks.

Is that for real?

If you're trying to subdue an animal that is running towards you, the spray better be wide because it might be dicey aiming for its eyes or wherever it's suppose to go.

I didn't think about that. Here, you just have to scan the roadside for deer on suicide missions.

Is that for real?

No the wild animals all know it's pepper spray, they cower and run away when they see you pulling it out. See attached link, it describes the process.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/humor/jokes57.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

The correction appears to be over. That was fast!
Yup.

I have the feeling we are experiencing a global living theater, titled "Dance of the Central Bankers'. I think Act 1 just ended and Act 2 is beginning.

Hopefully those of you who invested lump sum/windfalls during the year at peak prices took advantage of the dip and harvested losses.

I've read that most corrections are a W curve. Hopefully one more chance for the market timers to get in.

Depends on whether they are entirely habituated to people or not. The ones in my suburban neighborhood are pretty shy when people are around and if you see them they disappear fast. They do claim a number of cats running loose and the occasional little rat/dog on a leash/running loose. If this is the situation by you, make some noise if they are around and they will split. Don't leave trash cans or other sources of an easy meal around. If you have small pets, keep them indoors. I don't spend a lot of time worrying about the two hound dogs when they are in my fenced yard, but I would not let them off the leash.

If your coyotes are not afraid of people, you have a bigger problem. Make noise, throw rocks at them when you see them and in general make it clear they are not welcome. They may eventually regain a healthy fear of humans. Keep some pepper spray or a handgun with you when you frequent areas they may show up. Watch your pets and any kids that might be around.

Where are you? In the West coyotes are still coyotes and average 35 pounds or so. They usually are not very bold. In the East they are heavily hybridized with dogs and wolves, are a lot nastier, and can reach 75+ pounds. Before I escaped the People's Republic of New Jersey there were several cases where a coyote hybrid tried to drag a toddler out of someone's suburban yard.

Those little canned-air boat horns can shake up animals and make them think twice. Easy to carry and are pretty harmless.

As to the correction, I think we need another test.

Those little canned-air boat horns can shake up animals and make them think twice. Easy to carry and are pretty harmless.

As to the correction, I think we need another test.

If you used one repeatedly, I would wonder about hearing damage from one of those horns.

As for the former correction, I think we are in Xmas rally mode.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom