Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

The Inevitable 10% Correction
Old 10-15-2014, 11:43 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The high on the S&P was set at 2019.26 on 19 September. The 10% correction will be officially achieved at 1817.33. So far, the days low as of this post is 1820.66. We may not hold above this into the close but this is close enough for me to say we've now corrected 10%.

My Vanguard CFP recommended I increase my equities allocation from 40 to 60%. That was just a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure glad I didn't.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2014, 11:45 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

So what's the thought of doing a backdoor Roth today? Pay taxes on lower amount and bounce back would be tax free?
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:48 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just for grins, it's days like today to run the market ticker on my computer
Old 10-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
The high on the S&P was set at 2019.26 on 19 September. The 10% correction will be officially achieved at 1817.33. So far, the days low as of this post is 1820.66. We may not hold above this into the close but this is close enough for me to say we've now corrected 10%.

My Vanguard CFP recommended I increase my equities allocation from 40 to 60%. That was just a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure glad I didn't.
Now seems like a great time to shift some into equities to me. Im gonna give it a cash infusion personally.
shasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:03 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I was thinking something similar. I noticed that even on an ugly day like today a few of the more badly battered things I own or watch are starting to move up. This also looks like a day to collect profits on treasuries. I liquidated much of a stake in a leveraged treasury ETF today.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta View Post
Now seems like a great time to shift some into equities to me. Im gonna give it a cash infusion personally.
Agreed. Just received 401k/Roth 401k in Fido Rollover IRA and Rollover Roth IRA. Came from a 401k Target Fund, and will be in FSTVX (Total Mkt Advantage Class) at today's market close.

This was already part of our 'consolidation' plan but, I consider the timing fortunate. Hope I still consider it so by Friday's close.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:15 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

My first Ira to Roth conversion done, thru vanguards website, just exchanged from IRA to Roth, kept the same fund, hope I did it right, just moved a partial amount out of one fund, is that okay? Will just trigger tax on the amount I moved?
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #8

Being a long-term holder of passive index funds, my "strategy" mainly involves not checking my balance on days like this, and waiting until we've had a few up days before checking again.

Hopefully we'll actually have a few up days, or I'll have to brace myself before logging in

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:20 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Being a long-term holder of passive index funds, my "strategy" mainly involves not checking my balance on days like this, and waiting until we've had a few up days before checking again.

Hopefully we'll actually have a few up days, or I'll have to brace myself before logging in
Im the exact same way.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:22 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Looks like a good day to make the 2014 IRA contributions. I just wish my Vanguard individual 401k was approved already instead of sitting in my mailbox with the flag up... Maybe mr. market will wait for my approval before tearing back upwards.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post

Same here.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:39 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I am down close to $250K from the high.

Failing to sell high (hey, I was busy RV'ing), all I can hope to do now is to buy low. But it is not that low yet.

The correction is finally here. Long live the correction!

Oops! Wrong thing to say.

PS. The RV'ing is a lame excuse. Despite being a self-proclaimed market timer, I failed to sell high. Pure and simple.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Could be, but I'm waiting a bit longer yet, to see how this plays out. Considering how many consecutive years the market has been up (mostly due to Fed manipulation), and considering the economic state of the world in general (lousy), I don't think this is going to be one of those corrections that is over quickly. I think it may drag on for a while, and I don't think the market will bounce back strongly right after that, either. I may be all wrong, we'll see.......
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:15 PM   #14

IRA contributions and semi-monthly taxable investments go in tomorrow at a 10% discount from last month! Woohoo!
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:19 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I recall sitting in a staff meeting of about 150 people in early 2009. No good news at all, layoffs, funding dropped, stocks tanking. I thought "crap, I'll never be able to retire now".

But it's 2014 and I don't have to go to work anymore. I didn't do anything but Roll, Roll, Roll, Brother Trucker.

(That song was written for Studs Terkel's "Working")

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:30 PM   #16

Have to agree that the correction has long been predicted by many, seems it is finally here.

The thing to keep in mind, as long as you are not selling off, just ride it out. If you have some extra cash, might be a good time to buy low and then ride some gains.

I would not mind if this bear would decide it is time to go hibernate though

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:41 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

All the dreams I had of how big next years raise would be at rebalance - crushed in a month.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:45 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Same here. My 5% "Cash" has been sitting in VWALX (municipal bond fund) and I exchanged all of it for Wellington today.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:47 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
All the dreams I had of how big next years raise would be at rebalance - crushed in a month.
There's still time for a Santa Claus rally.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:55 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

CNBC and similar are probably kicking up their heels. They trot out new hotties and get the ad dollars as viewership rises.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote