Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-22-2009, 08:44 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

Iím not saying thereís nothing to worry about Ė just the real bad news is past and present, and there is nothing as frightful as the unknown. Things are downright not good right now, but they sure arenít gloom and doom level either.
Sorry, but I'm already in the gloomy range. Maybe not doom yet.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2009, 11:05 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i had a dream last night

we will soon see a rally...a very nice, three-step, sustained rally into late summer.

...but we need capitulation...hope needs to be broken before we can see a sustained rally... New lows create the pessimism normally seen before sustained rallies.

i'm just a conduit for this i really don't know what i'm talking about..

Old 02-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
i had a dream last night

we will soon see a rally...a very nice, three-step, sustained rally into late summer.

...but we need capitulation...hope needs to be broken before we can see a sustained rally... New lows create the pessimism normally seen before sustained rallies.

i'm just a conduit for this i really don't know what i'm talking about..
Me too. But how are we going to get to total capitulation? I think there are lots of people like me that have decided to dig in no matter what. Does that mean we will never have it? Maybe that is the definition of doom.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Who really and truly wants to know, with precision, what the future holds for them?
Old 02-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
i had a dream last night...we will soon see a rally...a very nice, three-step, sustained rally into late summer.
For me, personally, if the part of the dream concerning Jennifer Anniston comes true, I don't care about the market.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:42 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

al - my dreams are only financial in nature..i'll leave jennifer to you..

Who really and truly wants to know, with precision, what the future holds for them?

well, i do i want to be able to plan my trips around future events and when airfares are going to drop...i want to know when to buy stocks and when to sell...

I want to avoid accidents

i want to know when to start spending the rest of my money before dying...

i want to start going to the race track

i want to impress people and earn some extra retirement income writing books telling people the future

i want to make sure i spend as much time as possible with people i care about before either of our time comes to meet our maker...

avoid paying taxes on my way out...well you get the idea...the list is pretty long...
Old 02-22-2009, 12:05 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
...i want to know when ...
... the doctor gives you six months to a year.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:28 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I enjoy reading old articles or threads. Often correct predictions or warnings are in there. It's just hard to know which ones are the correct ones.

Interesting that some of the responses in that thread, and some of the comments in the article turned out to be correct. For example, Modhatter's

I think it has a direct effect on the economy however. With so many young people faced with such huge mortgage payments each month, it will leave very little income for purchasing, which will in turn not be good for the economy and of course the stock market. Unless incomes rise to a level to support these high mortgages that is. Thieir current answer to this problem is taking on debt, running up their charge cards. This is not sustainable either. Eventually, you must pay the piper.

and (from the article):

If mortgage rates rise sharply or home prices fall, many homeowners could be in financial turmoil. They may be unable to service their loans, or could even find that their homes are worth less than their mortgages.
Oh I and many others were quite well aware of all that going on. What I didn't know was the degree to which much of the rest of the world was doing the same thing, the ridiculous leveraging going on on Wall St., the whole CDS boondoggle, etc. The debt driven consumerism in the US worried me but I didn't realize the fragile state of the rest of the global economy. I've certainly learned a lot over the past year, that's for sure.