Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-28-2008, 09:45 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Let's see--the new President-elect wants to dump money into a jobs program to employ Americans. Apaprently he believes we need to have more jobs.

And he also thinks it's a good idea to help those illegal immigrants who are already here (driving down wages for low skill jobs) to stay here.

At the risk of veering into the Soapbox, I'd like to suggest that these two initiatives might not be entirely in sync--that there might already be jobs available in America--it's just that they aren't being done by Americans. Good ID's, immediately verifiable, with strong punishments for employers who hire illegal immigrants: suddenly many "new" jobs without needing to deport anyone.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2008, 12:05 AM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Let's see--the new President-elect wants to dump money into a jobs program to employ Americans. Apaprently he believes we need to have more jobs.

And he also thinks it's a good idea to help those illegal immigrants who are already here (driving down wages for low skill jobs) to stay here.

At the risk of veering into the Soapbox, I'd like to suggest that these two initiatives might not be entirely in sync--that there might already be jobs available in America--it's just that they aren't being done by Americans. Good ID's, immediately verifiable, with strong punishments for employers who hire illegal immigrants: suddenly many "new" jobs without needing to deport anyone.
Ah, but will U.S. citizens work them? Being poor in America doesn't mean starvation the way it does in some other countries (part of why the U.S. rocks).

If we are going to throw billions of debt onto future generations, at least let it be for infrastructure. The interstate system is falling apart, we are way behind in power production and distribution infrastructure. We might actually benefit from that spending. I even think the Constitution says something about interstate commerce, so it probably won't make our forefathers spin in their graves, either!

Old 11-29-2008, 07:15 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
If we are going to throw billions of debt onto future generations, at least let it be for infrastructure. The interstate system is falling apart, we are way behind in power production and distribution infrastructure. We might actually benefit from that spending. I even think the Constitution says something about interstate commerce, so it probably won't make our forefathers spin in their graves, either!
Bridges, water treatment systems, dams and levies... Can come up with lots and lots of things badly in need of repair and deferred maintenance, let alone expansion and improvement.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:39 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
Ah, but will U.S. citizens work them? Being poor in America doesn't mean starvation the way it does in some other countries (part of why the U.S. rocks).
Yes they would. Not long ago, we stirred up a fecal matter storm when we drove a Free Trade Zone and started arresting illegals. We saw approximately 40 illegals. We were only able to grab two because it was in impromptu operation. The rest got away by running through the swamps and swimming through the bayou. The company leadership was very upset, because we chased away about 10% of their work force. They even threatened us with injunctions limiting our access to the area. The jobs we saw them doing paid anywhere from $8-$15 per hour. Many of their American co-workers thanked us for doing it.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:20 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Bridges, water treatment systems, dams and levies... Can come up with lots and lots of things badly in need of repair and deferred maintenance, let alone expansion and improvement.
Indeed, but the money to carry out that work went to Iraq.

Just as soon as we find those weapons of mass destruction much funding will be freed up to improve the crumbling American infrastructure.

Maybe even restore a bit of the Constitution, although it won't be very popular with the Democrats. Or the Republicans.

Consult with only myself as your adviser or representative. My thoughts should be construed as investment advice of the highest caliber. Past performance is but a pale shadow and guarantee of even greater results in the future.
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote