Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
However, DW and I have entered the HGTV Dream Home giveaway every year for the past 6 or 7 years. We like looking at the house, and it's free to enter. I've been fascinated by the fates of the winners. Most end up having to sell the homes cheap in order to pay the taxes. Only a couple have lived in the places. I've read differing accounts of the situations, some saying the winners were put into major financial difficulties and others saying the winners sold and financed lifelong dreams.

If I do win, the odds are I'll join the group who took the money and ran, unless it truly is my dream home.
I also enter the HGTV dream home contest and one year I was convinced I'd be the winner so I really planned exactly what I would do with the house and the night the winner was to be surprized I put on make up and waited for the doorbell . Alas ,another dream smashed !
__________________

__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2010, 12:49 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 195
Didn't see the spot to register for it on the site - link? The 2011 one looks nice - I'd consider moving there if I could find a job, otherwise, sell it to someone else as a second home or look into renting it out.
__________________

__________________
seabourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
I wish it was on hulu. Any place to watch it online free?
Here's one episode (Season 2 Episode 1) I found online -

The Lottery Changed My Life: Season 2 Episode 1 on Vimeo
__________________
Married, both 62. DH retired June, 2010. I have a pleasant little part time job.
Sue J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ST LOUIS
Posts: 993
Thanks Sue I enjoyed it.
__________________
Proverbs 15:22 Designs are brought to nothing where there is no counsel: but where there are many counsellors, they are established.
rec7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:51 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I also enter the HGTV dream home contest and one year I was convinced I'd be the winner...
The taxes on the prize then the property taxes kill you. I read that most people dump it quickly. Several of the houses also didn't come with the land. The land is on a 20 or 50 year lease. It seems like more of a hassle to win it.
__________________
Gworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets
Culture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gworker View Post
The taxes on the prize then the property taxes kill you. I read that most people dump it quickly. Several of the houses also didn't come with the land. The land is on a 20 or 50 year lease. It seems like more of a hassle to win it.
Even after the hassle of selling it, and am certain I would be happy with the after-tax profits.
__________________
Culture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
bright eyed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,891
This has to be one of the sadder stories about lotto wins...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Wh...lottery_winner)
__________________
If i think of something clever to say, i'll put it here...
bright eyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:50 AM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets
Culture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
This has to be one of the sadder stories about lotto wins...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Whittaker_(lottery_winner)
Jack Whittaker has definitely become the standard bearer for the idea that winning the lottery simply magnifies your existing problems.
__________________
Culture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:03 AM   #69
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
I do occasionally buy a lotto ticket. I figure I waste $1 in lots of other ways...

Don't watch the program. Reality shows are verboten. I get enough real life in real life!
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:37 PM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Following the nice weather
Posts: 6,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I do occasionally buy a lotto ticket. I figure I waste $1 in lots of other ways...

Don't watch the program. Reality shows are verboten. I get enough real life in real life!
+1 on that. Closest I come to a reality show is House Hunters International. My next closest to reality show is Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers, or maybe Sam Clemens
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #71
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
+1 on that. Closest I come to a reality show is House Hunters International. My next closest to reality show is Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
HHI is not reality for me...
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:32 PM   #72
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,015
This couple who won $50m last year still lives in their 2 bedroom trailer. They have become philanthropists, giving back to their community.
CBC News - Manitoba - Lotto winners fund baseball tourney
__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #73
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: North of Montana
Posts: 2,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
This couple who won $50m last year still lives in their 2 bedroom trailer. They have become philanthropists, giving back to their community.
CBC News - Manitoba - Lotto winners fund baseball tourney
Sounds like my winners, only more "personally frugal". Aren't Canadians "interesting".

MY BIL had a neighbour (friend) who won about $3M in ~1970. The interesting part of this is that a month or so before the win he had completed the "decree nisi" part of his divorce. His wife had left to become the "housekeeper" for the local catholic priest. Local legend suggested she got the short end of both sticks.

Anyway, he didn't go bankrupt until 2006. He also gave a lot to his kids and the community and those people may still have some of it.
__________________
There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate conclusions from insufficient data and ..
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:47 PM   #74
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 6
Hi, I am a lottery winner of 8.2million. I was featured in the last episode of "the lottery changed my life" this last week. The lump sum is the best way as of yet. When I had won I talked to many investors and this is what i had learned. Out of 8.2million I recieved 2.3 million. Doesnt matter what you do for annuity or lump sum, the government rakes in the majority. If i invest 2 million and live off 6% interest, using historical data I would have 55 million in the bank still living off 6%. As opposed to have gone through 8.2 million at the 25 year mark. If you dont have the self control to keep to a plan take the annuity otherwise and plan to be broke in 25 years. I was the last 10 min featured with the youngest lottery winner of 19years old. hope this helps.
__________________
evodbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:24 PM   #75
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by evodbor View Post
If i invest 2 million and live off 6% interest, using historical data I would have 55 million in the bank still living off 6%.
Please tell us where we can get 6% interest today. And, since you refer to the money "growing" while you live on the 6%, it sounds like you'll actually be getting more than 6% interest. That's quite a feat these days.

$2 million is a lot of money, but it won't enable a young person to quit work and live like a king. Most investors would estimate it would allow a person to safely take out $60K to $80K per year for 40-50 years or so, maybe longer. That can allow a comfortable lifestyle in many parts of the US.

If I were in your boots I'd park the money in a safe place and do my own research about investing. As you know, you won't get a "do over" with this money, and even if you don't want to make all the investing decisions yourself, you need to get educated so that you'll know if your advisor is truly working in your best interest.

Congratulations and welcome to the board.
__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:31 PM   #76
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Following the nice weather
Posts: 6,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by evodbor View Post
Hi, I am a lottery winner of 8.2million. I was featured in the last episode of "the lottery changed my life" this last week. The lump sum is the best way as of yet. When I had won I talked to many investors and this is what i had learned. Out of 8.2million I recieved 2.3 million. Doesnt matter what you do for annuity or lump sum, the government rakes in the majority. If i invest 2 million and live off 6% interest, using historical data I would have 55 million in the bank still living off 6%. As opposed to have gone through 8.2 million at the 25 year mark. If you dont have the self control to keep to a plan take the annuity otherwise and plan to be broke in 25 years. I was the last 10 min featured with the youngest lottery winner of 19years old. hope this helps.
Congratulations on winning! Very cool. Yes, I always assumed you'd get about a quarter of the total by taking the lump sum and then paying the taxes. Nice to see how that works.

As far as you plans, if you read around this site you'll see that most of us figure a 4% safe withdrawal rate is the most you can do without having a significant chance of running out of money in the long run. And at 19 years old, I would think that even that wouldn't be too safe.

My recommendation would be to take some time, have a blast for a while, but still plan on working. You're very young, and possibly have a spouse and maybe kids in the future. Pick a career you're interested in, and let the winnings grow for a while. You have the option of doing something you love, even if it doesn't pay that well. But although I'm a huge proponent of retirement and leisure, I don't think even I could imagine 60+ years of never working. You didn't win enough to be totally independent (80 million would have done it ). I knew a $10M winner, and he continued working because with 3 kids, college, a big house, a boat, love of travel, etc, he could see that it wouldn't last forever.

But definitely take some time, have some fun, and think about what you want to do with your life. Don't get sucked in to some investment advisor or annuity salesman's scheme. Good luck to you, and stick around. It would be cool to have someone with your situation involved in the conversations.
__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers, or maybe Sam Clemens
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
living off 6%
Old 10-24-2010, 10:20 PM   #77
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 6
living off 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Please tell us where we can get 6% interest today. And, since you refer to the money "growing" while you live on the 6%, it sounds like you'll actually be getting more than 6% interest. That's quite a feat these days.

$2 million is a lot of money, but it won't enable a young person to quit work and live like a king. Most investors would estimate it would allow a person to safely take out $60K to $80K per year for 40-50 years or so, maybe longer. That can allow a comfortable lifestyle in many parts of the US.

If I were in your boots I'd park the money in a safe place and do my own research about investing. As you know, you won't get a "do over" with this money, and even if you don't want to make all the investing decisions yourself, you need to get educated so that you'll know if your advisor is truly working in your best interest.

Congratulations and welcome to the board.
We were advised that 6% was reasonable at the time. that was in 2007 though. right before the crash. the data used was past 25year data (actual data) to kinda of predict the future. however it isnt working out that way. we lost alot of money and have since started a business to help support our parents. We commited to our parents and helping them retire but it is starting to be our downfall. I would hate to tell my parents i cant keep sending you money, but i dont want to lose whats left for my retirement. sticky pickle. but the recovery of the market has helped. I will go back to work as a RN when this business is successful enough to keep going with a manager. One i trust anyway. Night all.
__________________
evodbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:28 PM   #78
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
73ss454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: LaLa Land
Posts: 4,378
Listen to what some of the other posters said. You need to park the money in a safe place and do some reading. Hang around this and the diehards forum and learn. Stay away from advisors till you learn and read. Once you've done that you can make some rational decissions on what to do with the money.
__________________
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:43 PM   #79
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
dex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by evodbor View Post
Out of 8.2million I recieved 2.3 million. Doesnt matter what you do for annuity or lump sum, the government rakes in the majority.
Did you consult a lawyer/CPA about any way to reduce the bite - a trust or something? All the info I've read said there isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evodbor View Post
If i invest 2 million and live off 6% interest, using historical data I would have 55 million in the bank still living off 6%.
$2M is a lot of money but you have to make it last about 65 years. Look back over the last 65 years to get an idea what can happen & not just in the USA.

One piece of advise on investing - look in the mirror that is the person with the greatest potential to do harm to your finances. That person is needs to be educated, disciplined and wise. Many people will talk about their successes; pay attention to those who tell you how they lost money.
__________________
Sometimes death is not as tragic as not knowing how to live. This man knew how to live--and how to make others glad they were living. - Jack Benny at Nat King Cole's funeral
dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:31 PM   #80
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by evodbor View Post
Hi, I am a lottery winner of 8.2million.
Yeah, if I was a lottery winner too then the first thing I'd also do is register on one of the world's largest Internet discussion boards and start handing out enough personal information to give people the chance to track me down and provide lucrative offers.

Oh, no, wait, the first thing I'd want to do is to learn why my 6% assumption is fatally flawed... and get real retirement advice from someone whose idea of "history" extends further than 25 years. Especially if you're looking at 60 or 70 years of remaining lifespan.
__________________

__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has anyone watched these videos predicting OldAgePensioner FIRE and Money 20 09-03-2012 12:02 PM
Watched the GM news conference today cardude FIRE and Money 25 02-18-2009 06:17 PM
living the life you envisioned? or totally changed? retiringat50 Life after FIRE 55 08-21-2008 10:07 PM
Books that changed your life? Urchina Other topics 64 06-25-2008 09:26 PM
Accidentally watched a Kiyosaki video today NinjaPigeon FIRE and Money 31 03-07-2007 03:50 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:15 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.