Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-10-2014, 06:24 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

The desire to FIRE has seemingly won the battle with the desire to own some nice toys.

Crazy as it seems now, I was considering getting a BMW M4 and working a couple of extra years. Thankfully sanity has intervened and I'm giving notice in July, ER'ing in late September, and am going to continue to drive my still wonderful 14 year old Toyota 4X4 pickup to 400,000km's and beyond.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2014, 06:59 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
NW-Bound, I'm looking to travel around the US and visit all my multi-millionaire "acquaintance". Shall I bring the truck or the vette? After paying for gas (the range on all the vehicles is from 9 to 30 mpg) you'll have to put me up........buy food and souvenirs. Whose the next multi-millionaire to visit?
I will be traveling the US myself here, but with an RV. And I will need to dump my waste tanks (70+ gallons) every so often. Well?

Old 06-10-2014, 08:25 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I will be traveling the US myself here, but with an RV. And I will need to dump my waste tanks (70+ gallons) every so often. Well?
Holy cow, did not realize you were so full of it. We'll have to see if any of the other multi-millionaire with economy cars on this site volunteers their dumping station. I'm only a millionaire so I can't afford a station just trucks and cars.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:28 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

You have not been here long enough, but I remember a poster here with an RV suggesting to visit another poster, and to pull into a remote corner of the host's lot to "let go" of the tanks. No dumping station needed! And by the way, there's yet another poster with a motorhome where she boasted of having 70 gal just in the black tank. I am saying you have to be careful who you invite to visit.

Perhaps these posters will acknowledge my superior memory and speak up to collaborate corroborate my recollection. Else, I can even search and find these posts, as I remember their names too.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:39 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Perhaps these posters will acknowledge my superior memory and speak up to collaborate my recollection. Else, I can even search and find these posts, as I remember their names too.
I think Rich deleted those posts.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:51 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

That's too bad.

Anyway, just as I was showing off my superior memory, I let it slip. I meant to write "corroborate", not "collaborate". Darn! Alzheimer can't be too far away.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:31 PM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I love teslas. There seem to be more and more of them on the road here in San Diego.
I saw one yesterday on my commute home and was admiring it. From the 1995 dodge pickup I was driving.

I'd rather retire in less than 2 weeks than spend the money on a tesla.
+1 Have a friend with a Tesla. In the end, it's just a car. Won't get you anywhere your dodge pickup won't.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:27 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

I just happened to look again at the thread title: "The need for Toys and the desire to FIRE".

What if I switch it to "The desire for Toys and the need to FIRE"? Would that change anything?
Old 06-11-2014, 09:17 PM   #69

Quote:
You have not been here long enough, but I remember a poster here with an RV suggesting to visit another poster, and to pull into a remote corner of the host's lot to "let go" of the tanks. No dumping station needed! And by the way, there's yet another poster with a motorhome where she boasted of having 70 gal just in the black tank. I am saying you have to be careful who you invite to visit.
I'm hoping your old enough to understand a jest and I'm old enough not to invite strangers to visit. Sometimes it's a matter of getting use to a persons email/forum talk pattern. Many people think they have friends on forums and that they "know" these strangers. I'm here to learn and have some fun.
AND yuck-o, I hope that was a joke about dumping on someone else's property.

Californiaman, To you it's just a car but maybe it meant something to the other person. My husband and I could be ahead in the ER game if we didn't love our cars and trucks, by quite a bit but we enjoy them. That's why we'll be adding another car to the group in the Fall.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:20 PM   #70

Quote:
I just happened to look again at the thread title: "The need for Toys and the desire to FIRE".

What if I switch it to "The desire for Toys and the need to FIRE"? Would that change anything?
Nope, cause right now I still enjoy my job and love my toys!!!

BUY the TESLA!!!!!! Go team, Go!!!!
Old 06-11-2014, 10:07 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
I'm hoping your old enough to understand a jest and I'm old enough not to invite strangers to visit. Sometimes it's a matter of getting use to a persons email/forum talk pattern. Many people think they have friends on forums and that they "know" these strangers. I'm here to learn and have some fun.
AND yuck-o, I hope that was a joke about dumping on someone else's property.
The threat "promise" to dump at the host's lot corner was also a joke a few years ago between two old timers here on this forum. They have been here longer than I have. I brought this back to tease them (and you!), and to show off my superior memory.

And at least one of them has seen this thread.

PS. By the way, some of the posters have met each other. I and some others are, er, a bit coy, and have not met anyone in real life. Maybe some day...
Old 06-12-2014, 03:23 PM   #72

Yes, I've seen where a couple of posters have mentioned meeting up. I'm not coy just a little leery of meeting others with dementia.....(little jest, cause dementia is nothing to joke about).