Join Early Retirement Today

The Neverending Greece Saga
Old 10-05-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Neverending Greece Saga

All the buzz thats been going on for quite some time about Greece going backrupt is like Chinese water torture. I wish it was over and done with one way or the other. This article provides some clue of the stakeholders that will be impacted in the event they do default:

REMINDER: Here's Who Gets Crushed If Greece Goes Bust#

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I saw an article on TV about Greece and the country has been living beyond its means now since the second world war.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #3

I liked the time they "demanded" Germany make reparations for what went on during WWII.

Does anyone not believe they will default on their bonds? The EU needs to stop wasting money on Greece and get ready to support their banks.

The Greek unions keep striking over austerity measures. Where do they think the money will come from to pay their salaries when Greece defaults. Who in their right mind would lend Greece anything?
Old 10-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The level of violence during some of the strikes and protests seems to be rising.

It seems that many of those people are really angry with the tax cheats and the governments inability to resolve that situation and hold them accountable. That should not come as a surprise. I would be angry about it too.

They also blame creditors... but being angry because no one will lend them more money [since they cannot pay back it back] is futile.

Greece is probably already in a depression or it will be there soon.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #5

Probably better to check in every few months or longer, just like the market. It's all played out in very slow motion.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
The level of violence during some of the strikes and protests seems to be rising.

It seems that many of those people are really angry with the tax cheats and the governments inability to resolve that situation and hold them accountable. That should not come as a surprise. I would be angry about it too.

They also blame creditors... but being angry because no one will lend them more money [since they cannot pay back it back] is futile.

Greece is probably already in a depression or it will be there soon.
The demonstrations create opportunities for those inclined to looting and violence.

Don't forget that the tax collectors in Greece are routinely bribed and they are also going out on strike with the others.

We could see if Greece would auction themselves off to the highest bidder but I don't know if anyone would bid. They never belonged in the euro and need to get out of it. If they were a company instead of a sovereign nation, they would be sued for defrauding investors with their accounting scams.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:58 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
Don't forget that the tax collectors in Greece are routinely bribed and they are also going out on strike with the others.

I have read about the corruption.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #8

Greece is not the only country that has been living beyond its means since WWII. I am not sure why all the media keep mentioning the Greek debt now, as it has never been on the radar screen before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e86s54 View Post
I saw an article on TV about Greece and the country has been living beyond its means now since the second world war.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Greece is not the only country that has been living beyond its means since WWII. I am not sure why all the media keep mentioning the Greek debt now, as it has never been on the radar screen before.
Because theirs reached the tipping point first. Should serve as a cautionary tale to all the other debtor nations that they'd better get their house in order, and sooner rather than later, before they "go Greece".

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote