"The Number"

kumquat said:
It's always a moving target. Five years ago I thought 1.3M would do it. Currently at 2.8 and thinking maybe in the spring, maybe one more year to be sure.
What's the new target?

Spanky said:
What's the new target?

Can't say there is one. Just having trouble deciding on a major lifestyle change. I've been working for 40 years and could live another 40 although actuarys may not agree. What will I do all day? Oh, I read that thread too.

kumquat said:
Can't say there is one. Just having trouble deciding on a major lifestyle change. I've been working for 40 years and could live another 40 although actuarys may not agree. What will I do all day? Oh, I read that thread too.
After working for 40 years, you deserve to retire. My Dad worked for 50 years, then enjoyed 30 years of retirement. I retired after 35 years. Planning on 35 years of retirement. So far so good (4.5 years).

kumquat said:
What will I do all day?

Walking
biking
reading
golfing
fishing
Engaging in community activities
Doing volunteer work
dreaming
meditating
visiting art museums
taking interesting classes
doing yard work
hiking
....etc

Do whatever to stay healthy and intellectually stimulating, have fun and to be purposeful.

I read the book "The Number". The author, a former editor, had the best word usage of any writer I've read. First he wastes a 100 pages telling you how few people know their Number. Eventually he defines the Number then goes on and on telling you that the Number doesn't matter. Finally you learn that what matters is having a fulfilling life. Throughout the book you learn how this very sophisticated New Yorker grew too old for Esquire, then moved to the wilderness of Wisconsin to redesign the Land's End catalog. He constantly tells about interacting with truly wealthy people and how large their Numbers are. Although the writing is so smooth, the book is not about the Number, it is about the author writing a book named The Number. Don't waste your time reading it.
Joe

heyyou said:
I read the book "The Number".... Although the writing is so smooth, the book is not about the Number, it is about the author writing a book named The Number. Don't waste your time reading it.
Joe
Good review heyyou. I skimmed through "The Number" in a bookstore. The concept sounded interesting but the execution is disappointing. The author turns out to be a self absorbed elitist who has little to offer anyone seriously contemplating their "number."

Back
Top Bottom