The parking lot snow queen

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The Honda CRV has almost 116k miles on it but It is very clean. Other than the normal stuff (tires, breaks, oil changes) in all the years I've owned it since I bought it new It has only asked for a new alternator last year. For the past 3 years it has been my daughters parking lot queen 4 hours away at a snowy and cold college. I gave her my newer car for an internship 3 hours south for the summer. I now drive the old gal 9.5 miles to work 3 days a week. I like driving it because it is like an old comfortable pair of shoes.

The old gal is getting some flutter in the front end now. I'm betting it is struts I estimate front struts and rear shocks be $600 - $1000 to replace. My daughter will be studying abroad for her the fall semester but will be back at school come January.
I don't like driving the car when it isn't 100%.

My plan is to fix the car and let it do the parking lot snow queen act for DD's last semester. Old cars
(with a new battery)are good for the cold weather as they turn over easier. I'm thinking a grand is nothing these days - given the cost of a newer set of wheels. Oh yeah DD has triple A.

Every now and then I'm thinking new something but conspicuous consumption isnt in my wiring (too bad John Deere doesn't make a car) I guess the alternative is to buy another 2 or 3 year old RAV4 for me or the daughter and keep old Betsy for the 17year old son.

Any Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forumh

Last edited:
Keep the CRV. $1,000 repair is nothing.
I love all the sexy new cars and all their features. I would also love to buy a muscle/sports car that proves my masculinity. However, my 2003 Subaru with 152,000 miles keeps going, is reliable and costs me almost nothing in repairs, taxes and insurance. You CRV situation is the same.

Our old CRV has 150K and I just spent a few hundred to get the brakes redone (first time since we bought it with 100K on the odometer.) I've replaced the battery once in 8 years and had to replace a leaking radiator (I think the car had been in a minor accident before we purchased it.) It's kind of odd, but whenever I shell out money for the old beast, I kind of smile - thinking how much more a monthly car payment would be - every month! I know it's likely we will need to replace the CRV within the next 50K, but I'm hoping when that happens, I can find another CRV or similar vehicle of about 10 years vintage with relatively low miles - and very limited electronics. If I can do that, it could well be our last car. YMMV

Likewise - our CRV has around 150K on it as well. Yes, it has the occasional big ($500-$1K) fix, but then it keeps going. Though we tend to buy new cars and pay cash for them and run them into the ground, I still think of repairs in terms of car payment units. This is - wow, that repair is $1K? Wait, that's the equivalent of only 2 or 3 (pick your own number) car payments. After that we're ahead. :)

Same as above. Ours is a 2002 and, at 14 years and counting, I see no reason to replace it as it just runs and runs and we can carry most anything.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Sounds a bit premature for struts unless you have a lot of bad roads. How are tires/alignment? $1000 is reasonable but maybe you just need bushings, etc. Give the ol girl some TLC. If you do need shocks, Monroe seems to have a perpetual rebate and it's hard to beat Rockauto for parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I replaced my own front struts with a complete assembly which included the springs and top bearing. It was a piece of cake - just 5 bolts. Not expensive, either and even came with a rebate.

I replaced my own front struts with a complete assembly which included the springs and top bearing. It was a piece of cake - just 5 bolts. Not expensive, either and even came with a rebate.

it's not that bad a job to swap complete struts/springs if you know what you are doing

definitely get an alignment right away though

if you are replacing the struts and are reusing the old springs or vice/versa, then you need a spring compressor and all that stuff, plus you may have to bleed the brake line. not my idea of fun

shops quote a lot to do strut replacements. I think the last guy quoted me 500 bux (i had the kyb struts and swift springs already) so I had a friend do it for 150, which was an easy call money wise.

Just put $1,600 in my 2004 Toyota Solara convertible (75K miles) for new brakes, calipers and tires. They don't make a lot of new convertibles that aren't in the "luxury" category, and I have no interest in paying a lot for a new car, so I'm going to try to drive this one as long as I can still feel safe in her.

At your mileage the most likely problem is the stabilizer bar links at the front and rear bar. I prefer to buy MOOG brand which come with a lifetime warranty. You might also need ball joints and control arms, these wear out before the struts.

Bad struts rarely cause what I would describe as a 'flutter in the front end'. I immediately thought of a tire or tires that are either unbalanced or out of round that could cause a slight shimmy depending on speed. The problem might not be anywhere near $1000 to fix. And a RAV4 with 116,000 miles is just getting broken in.

The parts for the snow queen shipped (upper and lower air cleaner assemblies that broke when I couldn't get the stripped and frozen bolts out) $170 this time anti seize. The queen is going into Honda to figure out what that bouncie motion is all about? Tie rods or what ever..it is getting repaired.

The queen is an inanimate object but she's been good to us and she deserves another 25,000 miles

Last edited:
Your funny... My son says 'just fine'.

I'd was wondering too. I plan to keep my CRV for several more years, but the AC is a definite weakness. Very poorly engineered AC systems in the 3rd model series. They recalled them for new AC clutches, but they needed to issue a more comprehensive recall on the entire compression system. I'm tired of taking it in every other spring for a full recharge.

I'd was wondering too. I plan to keep my CRV for several more years, but the AC is a definite weakness. Very poorly engineered AC systems in the 3rd model series. They recalled them for new AC clutches, but they needed to issue a more comprehensive recall on the entire compression system. I'm tired of taking it in every other spring for a full recharge.

Odd but the ac in mine will blow me out of there...
I don't want to jinx myself but air and heat in that car are fine....

Bad struts rarely cause what I would describe as a 'flutter in the front end'. I immediately thought of a tire or tires that are either unbalanced or out of round that could cause a slight shimmy depending on speed. The problem might not be anywhere near $1000 to fix. And a RAV4 with 116,000 miles is just getting broken in.

The Flutter is more up and down... The daughters been driving the queen for the last 3 years... But as soon as i drove the car I felt that strange bouncie motion. 2 days ago it happened on the 9.5 mile drive to work and I think it was more pronounced. It definitely made me uncomfortable. We are dropping her off on Friday night oil change(a little early) and fix the bounce.

My estimate is a grand or so...

Last edited:
I am a believer of keeping these older cars that are low mileage not causing any real problems. I do have a question for you and others..... How often are you replacing the timing belt or having the timing chain checked??

No timing chain or belt repair on that car that I can remember...

Back
Top Bottom