Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-02-2010, 10:50 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, you can't buy much, but here are 83 things you can do with a penny.

83 Things You Can Do With a Penny - Saving Advice

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2010, 12:08 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Well sure, we're voting for them--we like our change! Pennies, nickels, dimes....
I actually forgot today was election day (I voted early) - it was a poor attempt at a joke, I didn't mean to start another political debate.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I actually forgot today was election day (I voted early) - it was a poor attempt at a joke, I didn't mean to start another political debate.
Mea Culpa. I did that - another poor humorous effort which I shouldn't have engaged in. Apologies...
Old 11-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Mea Culpa. I did that - another poor humorous effort which I shouldn't have engaged in. Apologies...
No apologies needed Michael. If I'd remembered what day it was myself I would have thought twice about attempting humor in the first place
Old 11-02-2010, 01:12 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
...willing to take the risk of ... exposing their panties...
Hmmm, a new use for pennies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
We're an optimistic lot, eh?
Some might call it "realistic". Then again, "fatalistic" also comes to mind...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:54 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
I think I saw somewhere the the amount of metal used to make pennies, equals the mass of Mt. Rushmore. Do we need to keep chopping up our mountains?
No, mostly Peruvian and Chilean mountains. Ours are prety well chopped out.

Ha
Old 11-03-2010, 08:27 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

crawfishin'

Quote:
A Dunkin' Donuts franchisee, who introduced a voluntary policy suggesting the elimination of pennies, has since removed the sign based on customer feedback.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:17 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Anything whose value is less than its cost of production should be eliminated.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
Anything whose value is less than its cost of production should be eliminated.
I suppose you could make this as a philosophical argument. Producing a "penny" perhaps costs more than a penny (not sure that is true any more since we no longer use copper for pennies). But, the "value" of a penny is that it can be used thousands of times for its intended purpose before it is finally discarded as not useable. One could make the argument (not me) that it might be worth spending MORE to produce coinage that lasts even longer than it does.

Considering the billions (trillions) spent on "bailouts" and "TARP" etc., etc. in the last couple of years, I wouldn't sweat the cost of a few hundred million pennies. But that's just me. If you don't like pennies, consider giving them to charity. Many still take them and they won't pitch them in a drawer out of circulation.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:24 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Considering the billions (trillions) spent on "bailouts" and "TARP" etc., etc. in the last couple of years, I wouldn't sweat the cost of ...
I'm guessing the above will be the new "If we can put a man on the moon, then ..."
Old 11-03-2010, 02:37 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
I'm guessing the above will be the new "If we can put a man on the moon, then ..."
And remember, you heard it here first!! Think I could copyright it??

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #32

The Army stopped using pennies over 20 years ago. Commissaries and PX's do exactly what the Donut people are doing. They round up or down the nearest nickle. If the Army, who obviously is run by the governement does that (at least in Europe..not sure about US bases), I see no reason why they dont do away with the penny all together.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:23 PM   #33

Was at the commissary this weekend. The bill was $xxx.04. So I don't think they do this state side.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:04 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

It's a big hurdle for people to have things cost an amount that can't be paid for without rounding. Once we eliminate the penny, that hurdle will be jumped, and it will be easier to eliminate nickels and dimes.

There's only one thing that I can think of that we pay cash for whose price usually has to be rounded up or down. It's something people buy every day. Can anyone guess what I'm thinking of?
Old 11-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
There's only one thing that I can think of that we pay cash for whose price usually has to be rounded up or down. It's something people buy every day. Can anyone guess what I'm thinking of?
Maybe newspapers? The cover price is charged in stores, plus sales tax. In the vending machine, the same newspaper sells for exactly the cover price. The retailer (selling through the vending machine) has to charge you sales tax, so, in effect, the price of the paper was rounded down to accommodate the sales tax and leave the price at an "even" amount that the machine can handle.
(Okay, not very elegant, but maybe I'll get partial credit for showing my work)
Old 11-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Gasoline.

(I think newspapers do not have tax charged on them.)
Old 11-06-2010, 05:57 PM   #37

I was just reading in the local paper today that our chapter of the Salvation Army is asking specifically for pennies (of course, they will gladly accept larger denominations) to fill some very large container at the local mall. They are trying to collect $58,000 for the holidays.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:04 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
It's a big hurdle for people to have things cost an amount that can't be paid for without rounding. Once we eliminate the penny, that hurdle will be jumped, and it will be easier to eliminate nickels and dimes.

Gasoline
Old 11-07-2010, 10:27 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Just got a penny with the new design as change after buying something. I like the old design more.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:07 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

One thought--lots of people are worried about money right now. Not just in the general sense, but about US money and currency. People want some stability now, some signs that everything is okay, that some things aren't changing. The "look" of the US currency is among the most recognized and iconic designs in the entire world. Given the current state of things, it would seem prudent for the Treasury to put all their ambitious "change for change's sake" programs on hold for awhile. Yes, incorporate subtle anti-counterfeiting features in the folding money, but don't drastically change the location or size of the portraits, change the color, etc.