Join Early Retirement Today

The perfect place to retire?
Old 11-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The perfect place to retire?

I think I've found the prefect retirement place. You get free healthcare
and 5.16% interest on a 5 year saving account (like a 5 year CD) . Anyone interested?

Term Deposit - Personal Savings - Personal Banking - Yorkshire Bank

A 5 year fixed term saving account ladder still looks attractive here and it's insured up to $135000 per institution. You do have to like blood sausage and steak and kidney pudding though as this place is the UK.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #2

Do they have anything like FDIC over there?
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
Do they have anything like FDIC over there?
Yes, $135000 is guaranteed by the government per institution. So by having accounts with different banks the sky's the limit for coverage. I'm just amazed you can get 5% return which is far more than a 5 year CD.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Old 11-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #4

They had a 5.2% inflation in September.
BBC News - UK CPI inflation rate rises to 5.2% in September
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun
You do have to like blood sausage and steak and kidney pudding though as this place is the UK.
Since low housing costs and low cost of living are high priorities for me if I should choose to move, and since I've heard that housing over there is frightfully expensive, I think I'll still choose to leave these culinary oddities to you Brits. That interest rate certainly does show us that every place has its positive aspects, though.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Since low housing costs and low cost of living are high priorities for me if I should choose to move, and since I've heard that housing over there is frightfully expensive, I think I'll still choose to leave these culinary oddities to you Brits. That interest rate certainly does show us that every place has its positive aspects, though.
Not at all, unless you choose to live an area of high cost housing. As we proved to ourselves during our 7 month stay in a beautiful 3-bed rented house this year we could live there for, more or less, the same money than we are spending here. We rented that house for ~$1,000 / month, but you could have bought it for ~$250k.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...and-55351.html

Nun,

Thanks for the link. Those rates are much better than I'm currently on my UK savings so I am in the process of opening an account. We expect to spend 3 or 4 months there every couple of years and since I'm receiving a UK private pension it should work out well.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #7

I've never heard of Yorkshire Bank. Does anyone from the UK have personal knowledge of this bank?

Might be worth investigating as we have some pounds in the UK earning next to nothing. We could transfer these funds when we are there later this month.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I've never heard of Yorkshire Bank. Does anyone from the UK have personal knowledge of this bank?

Might be worth investigating as we have some pounds in the UK earning next to nothing. We could transfer these funds when we are there later this month.
It's based in Leeds and is a subsiduary of Clydesdale Bank, which in turn is a subsiduary of National Australia Bank.

When we lived in Scotland we used to bank at the Clydesdale. The fact that it is has the UK equivalent of FDIC insurance is good enough for me to open an account.

There was a branch in Guisborough where we were living for 7 months earlier this year.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
When we lived in Scotland we used to bank at the Clydesdale.
Well, of course! Why wouldn't you?

Old 11-06-2011, 04:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Cost of living varies enormously across the UK just as it does in the US. I live near Boston and I find most things to be less expensive in the UK anywhere outside of London. Of course UK gasoline prices are way higher than in the US,
but the generally lower cost of living, free healthcare and now 5% interest rates are making the UK look very attractive.....5.2% inflation is a worry though

Old 11-06-2011, 05:06 PM   #11

Quote:

Nun,

Thanks for the link. Those rates are much better than I'm currently on my UK savings so I am in the process of opening an account. We expect to spend 3 or 4 months there every couple of years and since I'm receiving a UK private pension it should work out well.
If it's from Yorkshire it has to be the best. Looking the rates that can be had in the UK I think I'll put my cash and short term investments there in a current account and a 5 year fixed term savings account ladder. I'll use dividends and gains from US Vanguard etc accounts to replenish the ladder. I'll obviously have UK pensions paid into my UK accounts, but I'm not sure if it's best to have the US SS deposited in a UK or US account. Probably best to go the UK route so that there are no questions about having it paid free of US tax.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
If it's from Yorkshire it has to be the best. Looking the rates that can be had in the UK I think I'll put my cash and short term investments there in a current account and a 5 year fixed term savings account ladder. I'll use dividends and gains from US Vanguard etc accounts to replenish the ladder. I'll obviously have UK pensions paid into my UK accounts, but I'm not sure if it's best to have the US SS deposited in a UK or US account. Probably best to go the UK route so that there are no questions about having it paid free of US tax.
When I had looked around a year or so ago, all the best rates either required you to be a UK resident or were in ISA's which also requires residency. Yorkshire bank apprears to have no such restrictions and even provides the HM Revenue form to have the interest paid gross. I'm also planning to build a ladder if this works out.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #13

You can get a 3 year CD here 8.5% (2.6% inflation) cheap health care (with a cancer ins as well) blood sausages (Morcillo) in every supermarket and occasionally FOG!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #14

Quote:
When I had looked around a year or so ago, all the best rates either required you to be a UK resident or were in ISA's which also requires residency. Yorkshire bank apprears to have no such restrictions and even provides the HM Revenue form to have the interest paid gross. I'm also planning to build a ladder if this works out.
I was assuming you'd need to be UK resident to open an account. If that's not the case they'll be getting a lot of business from the US. Let me know how things go.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:00 AM   #15
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
They had a 5.2% inflation in September.
BBC News - UK CPI inflation rate rises to 5.2% in September
That's not relevant if you live in the USA & the pound is stable or rising vs. the $.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
That's not relevant if you live in the USA & the pound is stable or rising vs. the $.
My assumption is that these accounts are only available to UK residents so the inflation rate would be relevant

Old 11-07-2011, 12:19 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
My assumption is that these accounts are only available to UK residents so the inflation rate would be relevant
I sent them an e-mail about residency requirements and am waiting for a response. Nothing I've read so far indicates residency is a requirement and the application process even allows you to download and complete the UK IRS form to allow you not to have the bank withhold taxes. (The normal state in the UK is that UK taxes are paid at source).

I'll let you know the outcome.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

From somewhere on that link in the OP:

Quote:
Who is eligible for a Term Deposit Account?

Providing you are a UK resident, can provide a personal cheque for the minimum £2000 deposit and you are over the age of 16 you are eligible.
I guess I'm not going to get the free health care over there either....
Old 11-07-2011, 03:30 PM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
From somewhere on that link in the OP:

Quote:
Who is eligible for a Term Deposit Account?

Providing you are a UK resident, can provide a personal cheque for the minimum £2000 deposit and you are over the age of 16 you are eligible.

I guess I'm not going to get the free health care over there either....
Rats!!
Old 11-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You also have the dreary weather, though easy flights to warmer destinations too.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote