Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-22-2008, 07:11 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
I know [radio waves] might make people sterile too..
Women who wear lead-lined chastity belts and men who wear lead-lined jock straps should escape with their fertility intact. My only concern is if at some time in the future these are the only people capable of reproducing, would they? :confused: :confused:

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2008, 08:17 AM   #22

Looking back at my Quicken figures:

Gas:
all 2005 -- $875
all 2006 -- $1,727 (circumstances changed requiring more driving in '06)
all 2007 -- $2,212
2008 YTD -- $1,045

Note that in 2006 and 2007 I had to commute to the Austin office (75 miles each way) more than I do now, and in 2005 we lived in Houston less than a mile from where I worked. Plus we bought a second car in '06.

Food plus dining out:
all 2005 -- $11,718
all 2006 -- $12,089
all 2007 -- $9,801
2008 YTD -- $4,390

There was definitely conscious cutbacks on the latter category (particularly eating out) in 2007, though not specifically as a response to doom and gloom.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:34 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
Commodity and energy costs are creeping into our cost structure. People are becoming more selective where they spend money and I suspect some of the price increases are designed to make up for lost customers. I think they will find themselves in worse trouble as more customers opt out.
In my admittedly non-expert opinion:

I think due to the inflation in fuel and food, consumers overall will be spending less on everything non-essential for a while. There will be some price increases at first due to shipping & raw materials (what we're seeing now), but overall businesses (foreign & domestic) will try to make up the reduced sales of their products/services first by reducing costs/overhead. (cutting production/jobs!/etc). Do more with less, as they say. Then will come the further price increases if necessary - but that can only go so-far on non-essential products/services.

Those businesses who are well capitalized to weather the storm will be able to hang on - bolstered by the weeding-out of less well-capitalized competitors who will go out of business.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:00 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Sure is refreshing to see one of these threads with actual data for a change to give the discussion some factual basis...
Unfortunately, all we have is a bunch of personal stories from probably the cheapest b*st*rds on earth that will spend money for internet access and a computer. You won't be able to take any of our stories and run for public office on them. I don't think any of us collect aluminum cans off the side of the road to buy gas for our motor home.

My original and continuing point is that what gets hyped in the media as "crushing the average American" doesn't make much sense to me. Energy costs will work their way through the system and ultimately make people shift their spending patterns. I personally have not seen gas or food prices rise enough to make me change my habits. Some companies will try for significant price increases under the cover of "gas prices" but I believe they law of supply and demand will ultimately win out.

Airlines are finally doing what they have needed to do for decades which is to cut capacity. Before this fuel cost mess, they were more than willing to sacrifice anything for "market share." Somebody paid too much attention to that part of their MBA program and forgot that the basic responsibility of a business is to be profitable.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:03 AM   #25

Quote:
Before this fuel cost mess, they were more than willing to sacrifice anything for "market share." Somebody paid too much attention to that part of their MBA program and forgot that the basic responsibility of a business is to be profitable.
Yes, we lose money on every passenger, but we make up for it in volume...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 06-22-2008, 09:09 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Yes, we lose money on every passenger, but we make up for it in volume...
Until now I didn't realize you worked in sales...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:11 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Unfortunately, all we have is a bunch of personal stories from probably the cheapest b*st*rds on earth that will spend money for internet access and a computer.

My original and continuing point is that what gets hyped in the media as "crushing the average American" doesn't make much sense to me.
So you know, we're in heated agreement. I was referring to the posts that showed gas costs weren't up that much and more importantly, that overall they were a relatively small part of overall expenses/budget. I really get tired of the threads that go back and forth for pages without any data whatsoever (and unfortunately there's no way of knowing in advance without reading through them, or I'd skip them), so it was refreshing to see some...

I am driving less because of the long term economic ramifications, not because fuel costs are a substantial part of my expenses. And I agree wholeheartedly that the mainstream media is more interested in spectacle than objective news...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:33 AM   #28

I can attribute some of groceries being higher due to eating healthier. The rest is pure cost increase. You are right fuel is such a small item of our budget it really doesn't matter. I would take a guess and say the increased food costs are associated somewhat with increased fuel prices.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:53 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

The 8/2007 jump in gas use was the surfing safari to Southern Cal. The Jan/Feb jump was DD home from college.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GasExpense1.jpg (36.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg GasExpense.jpg (43.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Groceries.jpg (37.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 06-22-2008, 10:58 AM   #30

Sure show off with all kinds of awesome graphs ..
Old 06-22-2008, 11:01 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Sure show off with all kinds of awesome graphs ..
I'm sure others recognize it, but what software is that in TromboneAl's post?

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:05 AM   #32

Looks like Quicken.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:35 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Yes, Quicken 2006.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:51 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Yes, Quicken 2006.
Obviously the Windows version. The Mac version is a crippled piece of junk which has been an afterthought with little (historical) competition. Thanks for nothing, Intuit. Moneydance is looking promising for the Mac, but it still has some maturing to do.