Join Early Retirement Today

Re: The "price" of diversification
Old 07-16-2005, 03:27 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
Doesn't Bernstein refer to this as "tracking error"?
I think it is just diversification. Tracking error is when you really are trying to invest in something that will track the index (like an index fund) and then find it drifts off due to a mismatch about what they actually own and the fees/commissions they pay to own it, and what the market index actually does.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2005, 05:53 PM   #22
Administrator

Checking several times a week is fun and is harmless as long as you don't act on what you see every week. Being in my 50's my portfolio is now only 35% in equities, 50% bonds and 15% cash, so a daily look doesn't really mean much as all the cash and bond funds pay out monthly or quarterly. (I'm still re-investing the dividends).
Old 07-16-2005, 06:55 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRBob
I think it is just diversification.* Tracking error is when you really are trying to invest in something that will track the index (like an index fund) and then find it drifts off due to a mismatch about what they actually own and the fees/commissions they pay to own it,* and what the market index actually does.
Yes, agree. However, tracking error is also defined (maybe not by Bernstein??) as deviation from your friends and neighbors; i.e with a diversified portfolio, it's assumed you'll outperform in the long run, with lower volatility, etc. But sometimes you'll be down when the stock/index du jour is up, and your neighbors are all gloating about their portfolios. IOW, can you stand to be down when your neighbor is up. It goes without saying that being up when others are down would not be a problem...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 08:28 PM   #24

Yeah, Bernstein makes quite an issue out of this. I think the conversations at this cocktail parties must be a lot more explicit than it is at the ones I go to. We almost never talk about our portfolios or earnings -- or even investments really. Maybe the odd private equity deal, or an annual figure in January parties for those who manage money professionally. If you are down, then you just smile and keep your mouth shut. No one I know is going to make you tell how big 'your number' is.

Old 07-17-2005, 08:38 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRBob
Yeah, Bernstein makes quite an issue out of this. I think the conversations at this cocktail parties must be a lot more explicit than it is at the ones I go to. We almost never talk about our portfolios or earnings -- or even investments really. Maybe the odd private equity deal, or an annual figure in January parties for those who manage money professionally. If you are down, then you just smile and keep your mouth shut. No one I know is going to make you tell how big 'your number' is.
You mean you don't hear "I'll show you mine if you show me yours."?

REW
Old 07-17-2005, 08:59 PM   #26

Nah.. maybe because a lot of them are pros on wall street, so if you really want to know, you read about it in Barron's? I dunno. They talk about specific investments, but mostly it feels like talking about 'work' and we move on to lighter topics like how we want to make the kids more rugged and independent without actually giving up pampering them, or moan about the other parents who have become hopelessly neurotic micromanagers of their kids' sports careers, and wonder whether that will end up hurting the kid in the long run or whether the parents are in fact making a clever if tiresome and unpleasant maneuver that promises to make the kid happy and outflank all the rest of us at the very moment when we are finally trying to relax a bit. I talk about ER, sculpture and yoga.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:41 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So I ain't the only one who stopped reinvesting dividends and let them pile up in the MMF until I figure out where it should go. It took me a while. Hope you-all got there earlier.

Gyspy
Old 07-18-2005, 03:56 AM   #28

Hi Ed,

No you're not the only one. Stashing the divvies is a common practice among ER's. Its what many live on. The monthly procedure is to have those funds (sometimes even including money market interest) electronically transferred to your local checking account.

Old 07-18-2005, 04:11 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Ah yes - those divies should just come in and be used to live of. Unfortunately US broker(s) makes life hard on us non-resident aliens....

Can't open a US bank account without a US address (and some even want SS no...go figure..)
Can't wire from my broker to other account unless account name is MINE (meaning I can't even wire to other broker as they have a one-in-all account followed by "for benefit of" the sub account one has with broker)
Can't do ANY auto electronic wires or transfers to any foreign (or US) account only manually with fax.....
I managed to get a debit visa card through one US broker (with the risks that implies) and had to deposit $10k and sign a letter that they could grap any fraud from them!
And the list goes on..... I am a bit tired of being treated as a terrorist or a 2nd rate customer even if they do it for my "own best".

Rant over - cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM
Hi Ed,

No you're not the only one. Stashing the divvies is a common practice among ER's. Its what many live on. The monthly procedure is to have those funds (sometimes even including money market interest) electronically transferred to your local checking account.

preben is offline   Reply With Quote