Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-31-2007, 08:33 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Leonidas,

So he went back

Nuts to that. If they had their heads so far up their a** in the first place, how could they be expected to change? On their part, they could never trust him again. (It is funny talking about managers trusting someone. ) You can tell when a manager is lying--his lips move.
I think it was the right thing for him. He never mentioned how much money he got, but his lifestyle significantly improved after that (and he is an LBYM'er even if his wife isn't).

He like the work and liked the company, but the director of engineering was taking advantage of him, holding him down and claiming credit for all of his work. After he left it only took a few days for it to go to hell and his boss was found out as a fraud. He was retired and they offered his job to my BIL. Since he took over he has had the freedom to do things the way he always felt they should be done and so far he has been making a lot of money for the company and they are pleased.

The money helped lure him back, but the real satisfaction was being recognized and rewarded for his talent. He loves his job - except for the travel.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2007, 01:56 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

August 23, 2007 TECHNOLOGY AIDE ....Technology Department
(up to 30 hours per week)
Salary - $8.00/hour
Qualifications:
Working knowledge of computer operating systems (Windows 2000, Windows XP)
Experience installing and upgrading computer hardware
Experience installing software applications
Working knowledge of educational software applications
Strong human relations skills
Skills:
High degree of energy and self-direction
Ability to communicate well with teachers regarding computer concerns and problems
Ability to communicate well with computer support services
Aptitude for technology and its effective use
Ability and willingness to learn about new technologies strategies and technology applications in
education
Ability to manage and organize resources
Ability to install and explain software
Ability to troubleshoot equipment and software

Old 09-01-2007, 02:54 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarus View Post
August 23, 2007 TECHNOLOGY AIDE ....Technology Department
• (up to 30 hours per week)
• Salary - $8.00/hour

Well... This is one of those jobs that allows some inexperienced kid (without a degree) to get their toe in the door. Work there for a year or so and get some experience to move on for more pay.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:14 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Well... This is one of those jobs that allows some inexperienced kid (without a degree) to get their toe in the door. Work there for a year or so and get some experience to move on for more pay.
I know an eleven year old who can maybe squeeze in 30 hrs/wk after Junior High (or is it middle school). He's the one who gets me unstuck!

heh heh heh heh heh
Old 09-02-2007, 09:27 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
I see it differently. When I hear employers declaring that they "can't find good help", what I hear is "We can't find good help who'll work for $25k/yr"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:04 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I see it differently. When I hear employers declaring that they "can't find good help", what I hear is "We can't find good help who'll work for $25k/yr"...
I totally agree with you. I've seen situations where there wasn't anyone available at their current salary schedule so they chose to do without. If a company brings in people above their salary curve, they either have to adjust their curve (giving raises to all the wage slaves) or don't give a raise to the new hires until they get down to the curve (which pisses them off and they leave in a year or two).

This is a boom time for technical people. The demand has gotten so high for engineers in many fields that companies are having to do what it takes to get people and/or not lose too many. It became that way in late 2005.

I got layed off in 2002 and found a position at about 60% of my prior pay 15 months later. Two years after that the boom got going and I got another postion paying slightly higher than my original 2002 salary. Since late 2005, my salary is up about 16% with raises every 6 months. I could change employers for at least a 10% hike but I like the flexibility of where I'm at.

My employer is turning down clients because they don't have the people to do the work. They are turning down jobs and declining to bid on many others. They have made "courtesy bids" 20 to 30% above their normal rate for long term clients where they didn't want to get the award and still got the job.

This will end in a few years.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:37 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Here is a somewhat more academic look at the evolving w**king environment of scientists and engineers.

Does Globalization of the Scientific/Engineering Workforce Threaten U.S. Economic Leadership?
Old 09-03-2007, 09:20 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

All I can say is I hope the job demand for Engineers stays strong - my daughter graduates in December with a B.S. in Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering from Georgia Tech. I hope she can choose an opportunity that excites her....
Old 09-03-2007, 10:07 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLM View Post
All I can say is I hope the job demand for Engineers stays strong - my daughter graduates in December with a B.S. in Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering from Georgia Tech. I hope she can choose an opportunity that excites her....
I didn't have a clue what I wanted to do after High School, but the school advisor said to me " cyles come and go, but there will always be jobs for GOOD engineers, why don't you consider engineering" That was back in 1971 and I think the same holds true today. Both DW and I are EE's and are still in high demand (in software and process control). Daughter graduated 4 years ago and started as a Software engineer for a Megacorp on $60K/year and has had multiple promotions since and is still a techie with no one to supervise so is still loving it.