Join Early Retirement Today

"The Secret" movie, abundance psychology
Old 12-03-2006, 02:34 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"The Secret" movie, abundance psychology

Out here in Northern California I have encountered several folks who have strongly recommended the movie "The Secret":

http://whatisthesecret.tv/

I finally broke down and watched it (for $4.95 off their website). The secret is to focus on what you want to attract into your life rather than what you don't want. To feel the positive feelings of the success you are moving towards. Basic abundance psychology.

I know that I have a tendency to approach things logically and focus on minimizing risks so I'm trying to get more in touch with my inner intuition and be able to trust my feelings. I really want to buy into this practice of moving towards rather than away, but frankly it scares the hell out of me.

The movie says to focus on the feeling of the end result... if you want that new car, focus on that moment of taking that first ride. They don't say to focus on how to get there (e.g. working overtime at the burger barn to make the payments). Yikes. All the people who recommended this movie to me are people who are significantly in debt themselves.

This brings me back to myself... I have always found more success in getting rid of what's not working and avoiding potential troubles, than in being the cause for wonderful things. And I think this aspect of my personality has been a significant part of why I now am FIREd.

Yet I do find that I don't have quite the same spark of life that I see in the people who worship at the altar of abundance psychology. And there is obviously significant truth to the idea that we become what we focus on.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: "The Secret" movie, abundance psychology
Old 12-03-2006, 02:46 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I think I saw the movie for free on YouTube. I watched a few minutes of it but it didn't seem very compelling.
macdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:02 PM   #3

"All the people who recommended this movie to me are people who are significantly in debt themselves."

Perhaps this movie is indicative of a flawed gratification personality type (I WANT IT NOW!!!)
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:45 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now
The secret is to focus on what you want to attract into your life rather than what you don't want.

The movie says to focus on the feeling of the end result... if you want that new car, focus on that moment of taking that first ride. They don't say to focus on how to get there (e.g. working overtime at the burger barn to make the payments). Yikes.
Well, I thought this concept was kind of amusing when I watched it again last week for the twentieth time on DVD in The Music Man, where Robert Preston happens to call it by the name of the "Think System".

I consider myself a hard-core cynic realist, and yet even I have to admit there does appear to be something to the approach: people who focus on the negative tend to do poorly. However, when you take it to the degree that some would do, that you don't need to worry about the how at all, just focus on the object of your desires... well, as a child whenever I would wish out loud for some new toy, Daddy used to ask me to c*** in one hand and wish in the other, and see which one filled up first...

I guess maybe it becomes clearer every day to me why I am a total cynic realist, who learned to buy my own youthful toys and niceties by mowing lawns and delivering newpapers!
DRiP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:58 PM   #5

My take on these philosophies is that most people have a very difficult time setting priorities in their own lives. This seems to give way to the 'all or nothing' approach. Either I'm going to spend all the money I can or I am going to be ebenezer scrooge!

You can only achieve balance when you are able to define your priorities, because 'you cannot have it all'. Even if you have unlimited money, you will have limited time! - If you cannot define your priorities in life, you cannot be happy and will be on an endless search for the 'answer'. There are many 'gurus' willing to take your money help you with this process.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat

'you cannot have it all'.
Of course not, where would you put it?
Old 12-03-2006, 04:38 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

From Paul Tough's NYTimes article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/26/magazine/26tough.html
Quote:
What’s more, the kinds of words and statements that children heard varied by class. The most basic difference was in the number of “discouragements” a child heard — prohibitions and words of disapproval — compared with the number of encouragements, or words of praise and approval. By age 3, the average child of a professional heard about 500,000 encouragements and 80,000 discouragements. For the welfare children, the situation was reversed: they heard, on average, about 75,000 encouragements and 200,000 discouragements. Hart and Risley found that as the number of words a child heard increased, the complexity of that language increased as well. As conversation moved beyond simple instructions, it blossomed into discussions of the past and future, of feelings, of abstractions, of the way one thing causes another — all of which stimulated intellectual development.
So saying and hearing positive things probably has some effect.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 04:42 PM   #8

Just watched the movie trailer.....looks intriguing. Was it worth the $4.95? I'm a sucker for this type of stuff.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:45 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

f4n
Thanks for sharing.....it would be a real shame to keep this all to yourself. This reminds me of a mailer I used to get a few times a year. It made me extremely curious, but I always got the feeling there would be additional cost once I agreed to pay. In this case, you get the trailer for 4.95, but the "extended edition" is only on the DVD for 29.95, so what's being left off the trailer?
Old 12-03-2006, 09:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash
f4n
Thanks for sharing.....it would be a real shame to keep this all to yourself. This reminds me of a mailer I used to get a few times a year. It made me extremely curious, but I always got the feeling there would be additional cost once I agreed to pay. In this case, you get the trailer for 4.95, but the "extended edition" is only on the DVD for 29.95, so what's being left off the trailer?
I think the trailer is free, the online view is $4.95, and the DVD is $29.95.

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 10:00 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

ok, I saw the free trailer and it sorta reminds me of a Visa commercial, except The Secret works for the priceless stuff too. Extremely well produced. I seached YouTube and there is a 6 min excerpt.....I was not compelled. One of the speakers has the title of "Visionary", another is the Chicken Soup Series Author.........I guess 4.95 is minimal, but it looks more like a scheme to me. I am sure some people would be helped by this attitude, so to each his own......
Old 12-03-2006, 10:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
Of course not, where would you put it?
And I would hate to be the one that had to keep it dusted.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 11:15 PM   #13

I try to practive an 'abundance' mentality and I believe that you can attract things to your life. But I also have a healthy dose of "reality" mentality. Overall I think positive people are happier and have more abundance in all areas of life.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:46 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Well said, Alex!! That is why I am posting HERE, instead of on the Teacher-bashing thread that I had to get out of before my blood pressure went any higher!!! I have seen the entire movie, and I think it's like anything else - everyone takes what they want/need out of the information and leaves the rest. I found it to be upbeat and compelling - but then, in my line of work (did you guess Public School Junior High teacher??!!) one needs to think positive just to survive! I recommend "The Secret" if you are in need of a pick-me-up.
SolidA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:57 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

"The 'secret'", he said, whispering, "is that there is no secret..."

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 09:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
"The 'secret'", he said, whispering, "is that there is no secret..."
"this statement is false"
Old 12-05-2006, 08:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidA
Well said, Alex!! That is why I am posting HERE, instead of on the Teacher-bashing thread that I had to get out of before my blood pressure went any higher!!! I have seen the entire movie, and I think it's like anything else - everyone takes what they want/need out of the information and leaves the rest. I found it to be upbeat and compelling - but then, in my line of work (did you guess Public School Junior High teacher??!!) one needs to think positive just to survive! I recommend "The Secret" if you are in need of a pick-me-up.
I am going to check it out!!
Old 12-06-2006, 09:09 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco
"this statement is false"
My point being that looking for the miracle diet/stock/pill/pithy slogan is probably misguided. It's more complicated than that...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:07 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

A positive mental attitude is good but this "abundance" philosophy sounds like that goofy preacher about 20 years back with the fur coat and Cadillac who used to tell people to ask God for money (and send a few bucks to his messenger) and your wishes will come true.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:30 PM   #20

I watched the blurb on YouTube. Then I googled one of the speakers to find out what sort of new-age religion was behind the video. The one I googled claims to be channeling Abraham:

For what it's worth.

http://www.abraham-hicks.com/about_abraham.php
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote