The Shortcomings of SWR After Retirement

Maybe I should have said that I expect taxes will go up not down in the future. The point for me is that my tax planning can assume marginal rates are at a minimum, so no depending on some magical tax fairy going forward. :)

Maybe I should have said that I expect taxes will go up not down in the future. The point for me is that my tax planning can assume marginal rates are at a minimum, so no depending on some magical tax fairy going forward. :)
+1. I have higher federal tax rates in my future plans too, I'd rather minimize bad "surprises" in my plan, "good" surprises are welcome. Though we can't know how or when they will increase, there are many ways to increase tax revenue.

Accountant's advice is to never pay any tax before you have to (other than that golden 15%) but I'm seriously considering moving amounts into Roths that will generate some large bills now rather than risk greater ones later. Anyone else think like that?

My financial advisor (and many others) has the same position, but I pushed past that attitude. Every January I move tIRA assets into maybe 6 Roths and just before filing taxes (April or Oct of the next year), I keep the best performers and recharacterize the worst. Other factors influence how much 'tax pain' I incure each year. Over 6 years total, I've paid about 10% taxes on the converted assets, but they have also gained about 60% in value. I'm close to an even balance between tIRA and Roth assets. But with reduced diversification of the tIRA it is becoming more difficult to make 'profitable' conversions each year. The good news is that I am no longer worried about huge RMD amounts in the future. And should I have an unexpected need for say $250k in a single year, it is available w/o tax. So I'm happy with my decision and the financial advisor now explains this strategy to other clients.

This must be a joke.
Nope, the point is I don't think they will raise the marginal tax rates (with exception of evil rich) and they will make stealth changes. in other words I wouldn't make any decisions today based on the fact that marginal rates will go up. They very well could decide in the future that people with Roth IRAs are rich and it's not fair they aren't paying their fair share and add it to the AMT calculations.
I would and have made Roth conversions, but only up to 15% limit, and only because I wanted some more tax diversity in my accounts (IRA/Roth/Taxable), not because of what I think will happen in the future.

I guess I'm not as obsessed with the figuring, re-figuring, re-re figuring, etc. as some on here. I run firecalc about once a year. Says I can still take x.x%. I'm good.

Nope, the point is I don't think they will raise the marginal tax rates (with exception of evil rich) and they will make stealth changes. in other words I wouldn't make any decisions today based on the fact that marginal rates will go up. They very well could decide in the future that people with Roth IRAs are rich and it's not fair they aren't paying their fair share and add it to the AMT calculations.
I would and have made Roth conversions, but only up to 15% limit, and only because I wanted some more tax diversity in my accounts (IRA/Roth/Taxable), not because of what I think will happen in the future.
Well, you may be right. When I heard that the Bush tax cuts are permanent, that is when I thought that you are likely joking. I don't think any positive tax change has ever been permanent before, but we can hope. (Well, I mean positive for those who pay more taxes than they receive payments from our dearly beloved uncle.)

Ha

I guess I'm not as obsessed with the figuring, re-figuring, re-re figuring, etc. as some on here. I run firecalc about once a year. Says I can still take x.x%. I'm good.
Yes but then what would people talk about here all day? I've already posted plenty of cat pictures :LOL:

Yes but then what would people talk about here all day? I've already posted plenty of cat pictures :LOL:

I like cat pictures!! And dogs too!!:LOL: It is fun to see how convoluted you can get with this SWR stuff. I compare it to "measuring with a micrometer, marking with chalk and cutting it with an ax" Just way too many variables that are constantly changing. It's a moving target. I tend to use the KISS method. Run FIRECALC once a year and you are good to go.

I agree, but although I don't participate much in the detailed discussions regarding SWR, I do find them interesting to follow. I think that some people are attempting to stretch their portfolio further while for others, the main attraction is the exercise in analysis and statistics. None of it subverts the 25x - 50x annual income rule of thumb for us SWR types (as opposed to the more active investors here). It just adds to the knowledge base.

Many of my former co-workers with whom I have stayed in touch with on Facebook are probably dismayed to find that in retirement, I have turned into a guy who posts cat pictures :LOL:

I can think of several reasons why people discuss and analyze this over several threads and time periods. Some reasons:
1) conditions are constantly changing
2) worry factor - some of us just cannot believe our good luck
3) some of us love to analyze ... and re-analyze
4) yearly re-targeting is a common business practice
5) it's fun to talk about and beats talking about the weather
6) optimization is a goal, maybe we won't achieve it but we can try

I happen to be a combo of the above. Yes, probably am obsessed.

I enjoy going through my numbers for the past 4 years or so since retirement, and computing my withdrawal rate for each year using various methods. Why? I don't know. Fun with numbers, I guess. :blush:

I happen to be a combo of the above. Yes, probably am obsessed.
Me too, I think. When I was a lot younger, just before I got on board with the personal computer revolution, I would spend much time calculating how my savings would grow at various different savings rates and with different fixed interest rates. I used a pocket calculator and ran the calculation for each year for 30 and 40 year periods, tabulating the results as I went. Many pieces of paper were used, and I would often calculate and re-calculate the same scenarios, partially out of mild obsessiveness, and partially for the enjoyment of performing simple calculations.

It was always fun when I got to that magical 1,000,000 number!

I'm not a math whiz by any means, but I like numbers.

It's not that you have to be uber-obsessed with it. However, think of it as a GIGANTIC return of your minimal time investment.

How long would it take you to do a few simple "what-ifs" in a spreadsheet, with a few columns, each column with different variables of capital gains, IRA withdrawals, and SS income.

Even if you spent 40 hours one week crunching all of the possibilities (and even that would be an extreme amount of time), most early retirees could easily wind up efficiently allocating and timing their 'earning' of different income sources, and possibly save thousands of dollars in taxes.

All for just 20-40 hours of work.

That works out to anywhere from $30/hr (tax free) up to HUNDREDS of dollars per hour. And that's just for one year. If you figure it out to carry out for 5-10 years, that suddenly becomes possibly THOUSANDS of dollars per hour benefit by doing some calculations that could save you plenty in taxes by timing certain things.

It's not that you have to be uber-obsessed with it. However, think of it as a GIGANTIC return of your minimal time investment.

How long would it take you to do a few simple "what-ifs" in a spreadsheet, with a few columns, each column with different variables of capital gains, IRA withdrawals, and SS income.

Even if you spent 40 hours one week crunching all of the possibilities (and even that would be an extreme amount of time), most early retirees could easily wind up efficiently allocating and timing their 'earning' of different income sources, and possibly save thousands of dollars in taxes.

That works out to anywhere from $30/hr (tax free) up to HUNDREDS of dollars per hour. And that's just for one year. If you figure it out to carry out for 5-10 years, that suddenly becomes possibly THOUSANDS of dollars per hour benefit by doing some calculations that could save you plenty in taxes by timing certain things.

Or you could enjoy yourself, one of the benefits of knowing you're OK.

Many of my former co-workers with whom I have stayed in touch with on Facebook are probably dismayed to find that in retirement, I have turned into a guy who posts cat pictures :LOL:

As I understand it, many of your co-workers predicted this was going to happen.

And I get hundreds of dollars a year of entertainment reading of all the miriad possible ways of slicing and dicing how much to take out! vs just multiplying by .04 and going singing on my way. . .

Modeling future withdrawals gives me a headache. Primarily because I believe it is so dependent on what tax rates will be in the future. We have about 60% in tIRA's and at 62 would like to convert as much as possible, but given pension there's not a lot of room in the 15% bracket to move much before hitting the 25. And, we're in a 7% state IT state. Accountant's advice is to never pay any tax before you have to (other than that golden 15%) but I'm seriously considering moving amounts into Roths that will generate some large bills now rather than risk greater ones later. Anyone else think like that?

I like and follow your accountant's advice, but every situation is different. :D

I'm not afraid of spreadsheets, so I'd be a good candidate for this. Yet, when I tried it I didn't see any clear "thousands of dollars in taxes" (other than moving some trad IRA to a Roth IRA, and it doesn't take a spreadsheet to figure that one out). I saw some close calls that depended on assumptions about future inflation, tax rates, and returns. No clear winners.

I always have this feeling that I must be missing something. How about an example for an early retiree without any cap gains potential, just interest bearing taxable accounts, an IRA, SS, and a pension?

I saw some close calls that depended on assumptions about future inflation, tax rates, and returns. No clear winners.
This is where I threw in the towel on fine-tuning any optimization. The results appeared to be highly sensitive to assumptions on these three things (and probably more), so sharpening the pencil still further seemed a waste of time. I'm just goingto do the common-sense things that don't cost much in order to reduce the chances to paying more in taxes later.
Another reason I quit trying to optimize things to the Nth degree: If I end up paying higher taxes many years down the road because my investments did well, I really won't cry about it. At that point my portfolio will have served its purpose, we "won", and having more taken in taxes when I'm 85 just won't be a big deal. It's a big deal now because we have a lot of miles still to travel and that money may be needed if we hit a rough spot anywhere along the way.

This is where I threw in the towel on fine-tuning any optimization. The results appeared to be highly sensitive to assumptions on these three things (and probably more), so sharpening the pencil still further seemed a waste of time. I'm just goingto do the common-sense things that don't cost much in order to reduce the chances to paying more in taxes later.
Another reason I quit trying to optimize things to the Nth degree: If I end up paying higher taxes many years down the road because my investments did well, I really won't cry about it. At that point my portfolio will have served its purpose, we "won", and having more taken in taxes when I'm 85 just won't be a big deal. It's a big deal now because we have a lot of miles still to travel and that money may be needed if we hit a rough spot anywhere along the way.
Good post. Given the availability of time after ER to indulge in these fun "what if" pursuits I think there is a great tendency to measure and try to model things things with the precision of a micrometer when life events are in fact delivered with all the delicacy of an ax.

I'm not afraid of spreadsheets, so I'd be a good candidate for this. Yet, when I tried it I didn't see any clear "thousands of dollars in taxes" (other than moving some trad IRA to a Roth IRA, and it doesn't take a spreadsheet to figure that one out). I saw some close calls that depended on assumptions about future inflation, tax rates, and returns. No clear winners.

I always have this feeling that I must be missing something. How about an example for an early retiree without any cap gains potential, just interest bearing taxable accounts, an IRA, SS, and a pension?

Well, granted, if your entire portfolio consists of just 3 Vanguard ETFs and Social Security, then it may not be that involved.

But if you have a more complex portfolio (preferred stocks, individual stocks, etc.), some of which might be Qualified Dividends, maybe some MLPs, some individual REITs that more often than not spin off some Return Of Capital, a large IRA that you might want to either start drawing down now to reduce RMD size and tax bracket, or postpone and take SS now....all of that can be impacted by what you hold in your tax-deferred/ROTH accounts, and what you hold in your taxable account.

In my accumulation years, I put all of my large cashflow producing holdings into my tax-deferred accounts (business development companies, preferred stocks, high yielding individual stocks) to minimize my taxable income, but when I need to live off of the dividends, it will pay for me to spend just a little bit of time tweaking what I hold in which account to maximize the Qualified Dividends that are in my taxable account to live off of, and keeping the regular dividends in the tax-deferred accounts. But that is just one part of the overall tax puzzle.

Then add in the factor of health subsidies and 400% FPL, and you really have a spreadsheet fest of 'what ifs'.

Back
Top Bottom