Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-10-2015, 05:11 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

At the grocery store the other day and noticed a bottle of bleach about about 2 quarts instead of the usual gallon.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2015, 05:16 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Did anyone else read the title "The Shrinking Package" and think of something else?
Winter is on the way. Phrasing...

I know the last loaf of bread I made was undersized - think the gluten chains got chopped up through over-enthusiastic kitchenaid mixer use.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:17 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
FWIW - the Kirkland branded vanilla Ice Cream (Costco) is still 1/2 gallon. I think it's the last ice cream brand that this is true for.
This subject came up year around this time because of holiday recipes.

The shrinking ice cream 1/2 gallon has ruined recipes!

There's a foamy kind of jello mould a lot of people make during the holidays. Well, let me tell you, the recipe is ruined if you go and get a "box of ice cream". It needs to be 1/2 gallon, and none of them are anymore. (Except for Kirkland, I guess.)
Old 11-10-2015, 05:24 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Stop complaining, people. Everything shrinks nowadays, and it is not just because of the cold weather.

A concurrent thread talks about SS means testing. Yep, your future SS check may be shrinking soon. You'd better get used to it.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:35 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
I know the last loaf of bread I made was undersized - think the gluten chains got chopped up through over-enthusiastic kitchenaid mixer use.
You're lucky you even got gluten. Half the time they leave the gluten out these days. ;-)
Old 11-10-2015, 05:39 PM   #26
gone traveling

Yeah I mentioned soda

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova72 View Post
I was thinking the opposite is true for some snack groups? I recall as a kid that a 12oz soda was "normal" size. Then 16oz was the normal size. Then 20oz. Now 22oz?

Basically what David65 says about coffee (I live in coffee central Seattle WA). Beer too sort of...
The corn syrup instead of sugar soda got bigger. Have u priced soda made with sugar? It's a fortune.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:40 PM   #27
gone traveling

I'm the guy that started that thread too

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Stop complaining, people. Everything shrinks nowadays, and it is not just because of the cold weather.

A concurrent thread talks about SS means testing. Yep, your future SS check may be shrinking soon. You'd better get used to it.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:41 PM   #28
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
At the grocery store the other day and noticed a bottle of bleach about about 2 quarts instead of the usual gallon.
I went to the store got a bottle of bleach , thought I was getting stronger, when I got home my gallon of bleach was 96 ounces, I got shorted
Old 11-10-2015, 05:42 PM   #29

I thought this was about the Seinfeld episode where George experiences package shrinkage!!
Old 11-10-2015, 05:44 PM   #30
gone traveling

Omg how did I forget!? Toilet paper. They shrunk that in every dimension and if it's possible it's even thinner, I'm really working myself up into a lather now, lol
Old 11-10-2015, 05:59 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
FWIW - the Kirkland branded vanilla Ice Cream (Costco) is still 1/2 gallon. I think it's the last ice cream brand that this is true for.

I just checked our peanut butter (again, Kirkland brand - natural, so nothing but peanuts and salt) - 40 oz. - so 2.5 lbs. I remember when my mom used to by 3 lb jars of peanut butter when my brother was a teen - she let him have unlimited PB sandwiches - in an attempt to keep him OUT of the dinner ingredients. We're repeating this with our boys - PB sandwiches and apples are allowed in unlimited quantities.... but stay away from what we plan to use for dinner.
I actually wouldn't mind the smaller size if it was actual ice cream, so much of the stuff is "frozen dairy dessert". yuck
Old 11-10-2015, 06:00 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
I thought this was about the Seinfeld episode where George experiences package shrinkage!!
Old 11-10-2015, 06:42 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

They shrunk my airline seat.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:05 PM   #34

Just working it all down into pill form.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:25 PM   #35
Dryer sheet aficionado

They shrunk my pension...I said pension.....froze it...........all the while CEO cashing in his stock options like a kid in a candy store..... ..there should be a law against......
Old 11-11-2015, 12:24 AM   #36

The shrinking package has hit the building materials, too.

Remember the ever-present 5 gallon drywall bucket, that was later repurposed as a bucket for anything? It's 4.5 gallons now.
And a 1 gallon pail of reduced-dust drywall compound is now 3.5 quarts instead.
The bags of setting-type compound used to be 20-25 pounds, they've drifted down to 18 pounds.

I think the ultimate trick is to reduce packages of whatever to the point that the buyer has to buy TWO to do it, but only use a small amount from the second package. So rest of the second package gets thrown away. Then next time, they have to buy two packages...

Which reminded me...
Many decades ago, there was a story in Mad Magazine (What, me worry?) about product sizing and marketing. One was to package flashlight batteries in a 3-pack, when flashlights used two.
The "reporter" said "oh, so that you'll have a spare battery, what a great idea!"
And the product marketer said "Dead! By the time you need it, hopelessly dead!"
Old 11-11-2015, 12:40 AM   #37

Consumer Reports would put stuff like that on the inside back cover. I think it was called 'selling it' or something like that. The funny thing is they would follow up with the manufacturer and ask why? 95% of them would say it was a price increase with out raising prices and 5% would actually come up with something like "Our consumers prefer the smaller package" (for the same price).

And yes, when I read the title I thought of the Seinfeld episode 😳

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-11-2015, 03:15 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

And has anyone measured a 2x4 lately? Only 1.5x3.5!
Old 11-11-2015, 05:34 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post

I think the ultimate trick is to reduce packages of whatever to the point that the buyer has to buy TWO to do it, but only use a small amount from the second package. So rest of the second package gets thrown away. Then next time, they have to buy two packages...
[/I]"
This is what happened to paper towels. They have made the individual sheets smaller and marketed it as consumer flexibility: "you can select 1, 2, or 3 sheets depending on the size of your job." The problem is that 1 sheet is normally too small, and 2 sheets is way bigger than the size of a 1-size-fits-all sheet. In the end you end up using more paper towel per job than you used to.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:44 AM   #40

Quote:
Blue Bell, too, at least once we can start getting it again....

My problem with this "shrinking package" stuff (euphemisms aside) is twofold -- first, the intended deception to the consumer by making them think you aren't raising prices when you really are, per ounce; secondly, it distorts and possibly wrecks a lot of recipes which call for a jar of this or a can of that, when the size of the "this" and "that" keep shrinking. Remember the 32 ounce jars of pasta sauce which went from 32 to 30 to 28 to 26 to 24? Or the 7- to 8-ounce can of tuna?

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote