Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-11-2015, 07:26 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The problem with recipe can be remedied, if everything gets shrunken proportionally. This means all measuring cups and scales must change to match.

To coordinate all this effort between all vendors, we need to have Congress in the loop. Ah, finally, the American waistline will get shrunken.

PS. By shortening the mile, we can also reduce speeding and traffic accidents. Your speedometer will read 80 mph when you are going only 60. There are all kinds of benefits that can be realized.

Another example: Stepping on a new scale, you suddenly find yourself weighting 30 lbs more. What's a better incentive to diet? And your wife suddenly has to buy a dress size 10, whereas she used to wear size 8. See what I mean?

One more example: A tiny home is suddenly 1500 sq.ft, and sounds more appealing to people to entice them to downsize.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2015, 07:32 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Love this thread, I'm making quaker steel cut oats. The container says it has 30 oz. of oats as the prior 24 oz. container for the same MSRP! Finally something bucked the trend.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:32 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
And has anyone measured a 2x4 lately? Only 1.5x3.5!
Where you shop matters. Needed 2"x8"x16' (real not nominal) floor joists for an old house we're refurbishing. I went directly to the mill and bought rough sawn for substantially less than the big box stores. Pay less, get more!

Know your sawyer
Old 11-11-2015, 07:54 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd View Post
Where you shop matters. Needed 2"x8"x16' (real not nominal) floor joists for an old house we're refurbishing. I went directly to the mill and bought rough sawn for substantially less than the big box stores. Pay less, get more!

Know your sawyer
+1

Dried? Does make a big difference.

When I was still in the industry we sawed grade hardwoods 1 1/8", after drying they would be 1", two sided planing would remove the last 3/16" which at that time was the standard 13/16" (you were allowed 10% of the required cuttings to be scant 1/8") for standard hardwood.

As best as I can tell, the standard 2x4 has been shrinking for about 100 years! It does pay to know your sawyer for price, quality, and some very unique cuts. We used to saw a lot of custom cuts for folks, mainly farmers. I recall just hating 26' 2x6", dog gone things took about a half mile to turn around.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:50 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
.........As best as I can tell, the standard 2x4 has been shrinking for about 100 years! .........
When I was in engineering school, I recall an assistant prof who was originally from India doing a structures calculation on the black board using 2"x4" as the actual lumber size. It was then that I learned the difference between experience and theory.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:11 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
When I was in engineering school, I recall an assistant prof who was originally from India doing a structures calculation on the black board using 2"x4" as the actual lumber size. It was then that I learned the difference between experience and theory.
I learned it when I bought a house built just before 1900 and we ripped out the bathroom to the studs. I was surprised when the guy who owned it with me told me that we'd have to shim a few new 2 X 4's we put in because they weren't really 2" X 4", and the original studs were.

I've seen discussions on this topic on other boards and people have pointed out that manufacturers will reduce package size, then print recipes on the label that require the old quantity- so your 13.5-ounce can of tomato sauce has a recipe calling for 14 oz. of tomato sauce.

My pet peeve is with the "concentrated" detergent and other cleaning solutions. I get that it's cheaper to package and ship the concentrate because they use smaller containers, but I don't think they passed on much of that savings to us and I also wonder how many people actually reduce the quantity they use. Win-win for the manufacturers.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:32 AM   #47

Quote:
The problem with recipe can be remedied, if everything gets shrunken proportionally. This means all measuring cups and scales must change to match.
But only if all the packages used have shrunk by the same amounts. I've got great old recipes that call for a can of this (used to be 16oz, now 13.5oz) and a can of that (used to be 8oz, now 6oz) and the like. Usually the recipe is flexible enough I can just use the current sizes and scale everything down roughly, but it's not the same. Old recipes that call for actual measurements (use 2lbs of this) usually end up needing weird partial packages (2 and a third boxes) of ingredients, so either the recipe isn't the same or the leftover bits are likely wasted.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:33 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Since I buy so much online, I actually have to track per ounce, per sheet, per unit type pricing to compare across sites, at to it the rebate sites, it makes no sense to shop in store... its sometimes pretty amazing the difference in packaging

When food prices started sky rocketing years ago, that's when the packages started shrinking as consumers bought the smaller packages and didn't complain so then every food company followed. Most people don't look at the stickers EVER. I see all the time where the larger size package is often more per unit price, which is completely backwards.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:50 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
But only if all the packages used have shrunk by the same amounts...
If you read the rest of my post, you will see that it was a joke.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:12 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
Potato chips are my current favorite. Used to be 16 oz, now it's like 10 oz. Actually, I don't think we can get through a 16 oz bag of chips any more anyway, but the price still looks the same.
We never finish our big bags of chips so we can totally relate!
Old 11-11-2015, 11:26 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I did not know that we were supposed to finish these big bags in one sitting. I guess that explains our low BMI.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:09 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

The Consumerist has a frequent comment about package sizes which is called the 'Shrink Ray'. They highlight products that have been exposed to this mysterious ray.

Grocery Shrink Ray – Consumerist

Consumerist: Mustard Shrink Ray Squezes Out An Ounce From Redesigned Bottle
Old 11-11-2015, 12:14 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Did anyone else read the title "The Shrinking Package" and think of something else?
Always throwing cold water...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:27 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by I earned it View Post
I remember there was a organization that kept track of shrinking package sizes,
I think that was Playgirl.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:30 PM   #55

Bars of soap.

They used to be nice ingots. Regular old bricks.

Now, they have divots and curves to them. All to take away mass.

I called up Dial when they started this and the kind lady said that it was to help me hold the bar better. I got cranky and she kind of admitted that they were just following the competition. This happened right after Dial sold out to a big multinational conglomerate.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:47 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I did not know that we were supposed to finish these big bags in one sitting. I guess that explains our low BMI.
Our chips usually go stale before we are done with those big bags...It takes us weeks to finish them.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:49 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Well, then if you are frugal as we are, you will remember to hit it again the next days until it's gone.

Actually, when my son was still living with us, he cleaned it off for us, and very few food items go stale in this house.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:25 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Did anyone else read the title "The Shrinking Package" and think of something else?
Indeed, a certain Seinfeld episode did come to mind...
Old 11-12-2015, 07:30 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by I earned it View Post
I would like some more items , and a website that tracks this if you can think of a new title I'll try to rename it
Upelkuchen.com ?

Eat Me Cake - Alice in Wonderland Wiki - Wikia
Website still available
Old 11-12-2015, 07:45 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Also, "60 Minutes," because we're all starting to sound like Andy Rooney (he used to grumble about product shrinkage on the show - he may have invented the term "shrink ray.")

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Indeed, a certain Seinfeld episode did come to mind...