Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just keep more ammo on hand than my neighbors, nearest neighbor has a solar water well pump. Would convert to a carnivore pretty quickly, plenty of tasty, deer, pigs, quail.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh, there's another possibility!

Grasshopper is a lot closer to me than ejman. I just camp out there for a bit, laying low, waiting out the battle between himself and his neighbor with the well, waiting for the dust to clear, then make my move.

I am telling y'all, you've got to have a plan.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Oh, there's another possibility!

Grasshopper is a lot closer to me than ejman. I just camp out there for a bit, laying low, waiting out the battle between himself and his neighbor with the well, waiting for the dust to clear, then make my move.

Piece of cake the well neighbors are Canucks, they aren't even here most of the year, and they think guns are evil. Of course maybe they have pet Grizzly bears.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

With this kind of collapse, the housing market will certainly be severely impacted. Given where it is right now in my area, I'd say that my house would be worth, oh, say $0.03 by 2013 if the predicted collapse occurs.

So, I'll just stay right here. I have everything I need, even a small back yard that I could use to grow vegetables, and we get so much rain here that water should not be an issue. It is pouring rain as I type this post.

No need to panic! However, if the collapse is scheduled to occur in 2012 it had better get a move on, because 2012 is more than half over.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Lady, you've got it made compared to us here in the arid Southwest. All that humid climate means plenty of vegetation, and I like to eat greens with every meal.

And we have talked about this before, back in 2008 when the bottom fell out of the market. Remember we talked about nutria, an abundant source of protein in your state? And then, there's crawdad. Oh, I am green with envy!

Got to change my plan again. It keeps getting better.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

I actually know Cajuns who eat nutria and like it. I haven't personally tried that, er, delicacy but there are plenty of them in the canal. Rats, too! Maybe I could become a vegetarian.

I forgot to mention that even though I don't like guns, between F. and the guy across the street with the purple heart, I would be well protected.The guy across the street sat in his carport all day long with a shotgun casually across his lap after Katrina and I think that caused some ne'er-do-wells to speedily exit our neighborhood. We all gave them evil looks too but I suspect the shotgun bothered them more than the evil looks.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I actually know Cajuns who eat nutria and like it. I haven't personally tried that, er, delicacy but there are plenty of them in the canal. Rats, too! Maybe I could become a vegetarian.
I've eaten nutria and liked it. They are herbivores so although they look like a big rat they have totally different eating habits.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you run out of bacon, spam tastes pretty good after a week or so, esp. if you have whiskey in the camelback.
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

@W2R. I dunno. Even people who stand watch have to sleep sometimes.

But with nutria so abundant, there should be no danger. Anyone can get his own. Have not had a chance to try, but I would not be hesitant. It's a herbivore, right? Same as cattle that eats grass and hay. On the Web, they say it tastes like rabbit. I am fine with that, although I have not had rabbit since childhood.

All I would need now is something to wash it down with. Git myself some moonshine, and I am set.

PS. Cross-posting with Alan. That's my man!

Old 07-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I'm stockpiling vodka and mixers, if anyone wants to barter with me. I'll take guns, ammo, and rations. And you can hunt and fish in my lake. But you have to share all the catfish, turtles, deer, egrets, herons, hawks, falcons, geese, etc that you catch.

Cross posted with NWBound - I see I have a ready trading partner for my extensive liquor stash. You can park your camper in by back yard. Just don't dump your grey water in my lake aka drinking/irrigation water source.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I've eaten nutria and liked it. They are herbivores so although they look like a big rat they have totally different eating habits.
Ewww... Oh, and NW-Bound, I don't like rabbit either.

Alan, Louisiana automobile license plates say "Sportsman's Paradise", and as I'm sure you remember, there is a reason for that. I know how to fish for dinner so I will leave the nutria to you and my Cajun friends, and I'll just go fishing out in the swamps instead...

Old 07-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

@bld999 When one is hungry enough, anything tastes good. Spam? People would kill for it.

Seriously, I hope these jokes show how tough it would be to survive if society collapses. But if one looks back at the threads made back in 2008, he will see that we were talking about "Mad Max" scenarios back then too.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #33

Quote:
Ewww... Oh, and NW-Bound, I don't like rabbit either.

Alan, Louisiana automobile license plates say "Sportsman's Paradise", and as I'm sure you remember, there is a reason for that. I know how to fish for dinner so I will leave the nutria to you and my Cajun friends, and I'll just go fishing out in the swamps instead...
Good I still have my good for life Louisiana fishing licence I hooked at the 1964 Worlds Fair.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

I watched Wiedemer's "interview". I can't say I learned much from it. The proposed ways to protect one's wealth against the purported upcoming chaos are far from novel and have been discussed at length on this forum (get out of debt, avoid long bonds, etc...).
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #35

Quote:
No need to panic! However, if the collapse is scheduled to occur in 2012 it had better get a move on, because 2012 is more than half over.
Still have Dec 21st to look forward to, the Mayan calendar ends.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I do.........

Old 07-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #37

Quote:
@bld999 When one is hungry enough, anything tastes good. Spam? People would kill for it.

Seriously, I hope these jokes show how tough it would be to survive if society collapses. But if one looks back at the threads made back in 2008, he will see that we were talking about "Mad Max" scenarios back then too.
The whole societal collapse /conspiracy scenarios are fun to talk about but looking at recent history of world upheavals when countries were really faced with the end of everything as we know it scenarios (Japan, Germany, The old Soviet Union, even Vietnam etc) there really was no total societal collapse. After a while, people regrouped and things carried on and I'm optimistic that we as a nation wouldn't be any less (although I hope we don't get to test my optimism).
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:55 PM   #38
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
The whole societal collapse /conspiracy scenarios are fun to talk about but looking at recent history of world upheavals when countries were really faced with the end of everything as we know it scenarios (Japan, Germany, The old Soviet Union, even Vietnam etc) there really was no total societal collapse. After a while, people regrouped and things carried on and I'm optimistic that we as a nation wouldn't be any less (although I hope we don't get to test my optimism).
You're thinking too rationally, too focused on facts. Look at Mad Max, Beyond Thunderdome, The Postman, Zombieland. Thats the kind of stuff we need to be worried about.

Soylent Green.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
You're thinking too rationally, too focused on facts. Look at Mad Max, Beyond Thunderdome, The Postman, Zombieland. Thats the kind of stuff we need to be worried about.

Soylent Green.

Soylent Green. A great movie. I never thought of crackers the same again.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Nobody will even notice. We'll just slowly, quietly continue our transition to neofeudalism.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote