Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

The Sky is Not Falling!
Old 03-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #1

The Sky is Not Falling!

Saw this article in this month's Kiplinger's

Kiplinger - Interstitial

A brief excerpt:
"The Success of the U.S. Retirement System," a recent report by the Investment Company Institute, makes the case that the good old days of retirement are overrated and that current retirees, so far, are doing just fine. Today's retirees have more than two and a half times the retirement assets (inflation adjusted) of retirees some 30 years ago, according to the report.

I haven't read the full report from the Investment Company Institute (ICI), but it is available at http://www.ici.org/pdf/ppr_12_success_retirement.pdf
(It's about 50 pages with lots of graphs and charts)

I'm not familiar with ICI but their website indicates they are focused on promoting investments and ethical behavior of investment firms.

Thought this might be of interest to some here.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

30 years ago 70 seemed REALLY old. We have to plan for longer retirements, and typically without pension guarantees.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

FIL retired at 61 with no pension but with a house paid off. In southern California.

MIL also retired at 61. He did not have LTC insurance, but MIL did, which is just as well, as my dear late MIL developed Alzheimer's and died at 79. Her small pension died with her.

FIL is now approaching 85.

He makes less than $30,000/year (probably closer to 28k) and is never really short of money. I know how much he has in his investments, and it is waaaaaayyyy less than DH and I have.

Even in costly California, sometimes I think we worry too much.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph
30 years ago 70 seemed REALLY old. We have to plan for longer retirements, and typically without pension guarantees.
I wonder if the report is gliding over that part concerning pensions. I imagine many a person could have retired back then with hardly a penny in the bank, as a pension/ SS combo check would have more than filled the need for money. Also, I imagine most people were not worried about healthcare costs too much then.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote