Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-20-2009, 04:11 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Steve,

I think part of the equation on the deductible is how healthy are you. If you routinely will max out your deductible, then it's probably better to go with a low deductible. But if you are healthy, then it's probably better to go with a higher deductible and save on the premium.

I too am in the HSA 5000 from BCBS ($5000 deductible). This is the first year I've had claims and since my visits (physical, vaccinations) were in-network, my services still were discounted. (For example, a physical and lab work that would have costed about $740 was discounted down to around $330 because the doctor and hospital are in-service)

I'm debating in my own mind if it's best for me to let my HSA contributions grow or to go ahead and reimuburse myself sooner.
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2009, 04:26 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
You are going to really enjoy the holidays this year!

Congratulations. Very nice that megacorp will help out with the health insurance, too.

The Holidays are looking so bright, I'm all most blinded
I'm headed down to the coast (Florida/Alabama area) for ThanksGiving !!!
I'm very excited aout how things are working out.
Thank You,
Steve
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:50 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
If you chose a slightly higher deductible would what megacorp is paying cover your entire premium for the first year? If that were the case, that's the way I'd lean. However, it sure seems like you are making this major decision in a big hurry. Might be well worth your while to take some time to do more comparisons and take a look at all your options.

FYI, I've had a BC/BS 5,000 deductible HSA policy the past 2 1/2 years and have managed to sock away $10k (tax free) in my HSA account. I paid the few hundred bucks I've had in medical expenses without dipping into the account. I'm hoping I can continue to add to the account and spend those tax free dollars after age 65 on the premiums for a Medicare supplement.
Rewahoo, Martha & W2R,
First thanks for the congrats.
I'm so excited to see a light at the end of the tunnel I probably am not thinking clear enough.
I will talk the higher deductibles over with BCBS tomorrow.
I do see they offer a $1000 & $1500 plan. Think I will reconsider.
Not sure I want to go to the HSP but will look at them.
The way megacorp is setting me up, I think I will have to prove I paid in full, my premium each month. Probably a copy of my bank check or payment. I'm a little concerned about taking a plan that looks like they are paying way more than me toward my coverage. May just be in my mind, but don't want megacorp to think they are doing to much for me. Might give them reason to cut the dollars allotted to retirees. Keep in mind the change megacorp has made probably saved me $700 bucks a month from where I started. They were forcing me into a super expensive State plan that was terrible in my humble opinion. From what was said yesterday, I think they didn't realize how bad the plan was for a younger person looking at 10 or more years to pay before medicare kicked in. It was set up more for people 62 or 65 that could do cobra and slid into medicare.
Didn't work for me at all,
Steve
Old 11-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Steve, it also may be possible to take the lower deductible plan while your employer chips in and then if the employer doesn't help in the future, raise the deductible.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:10 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations Steve! I'm so proud your Megacorp is going to help you with the health insurance; just be sure to get everything in writing.

I hear that clock tickin' down now....

btw...retirement is fun....
Old 11-20-2009, 06:28 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Congratulations Steve! I'm so proud your Megacorp is going to help you with the health insurance; just be sure to get everything in writing.

I hear that clock tickin' down now....

btw...retirement is fun....
bbbam,
Thanks for the good thoughts.
The amounts ($) involved have always been in our employee documents/handbooks. Where they are changing and helping me is allowing me to go to a individual health plan. Which is a real money saver for me at this point.
Thanks Again,
Steve

PS. Thanks to all that have offered Congrats, in case I missed anyone !!!
Old 11-22-2009, 12:00 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Steve, it also may be possible to take the lower deductible plan while your employer chips in and then if the employer doesn't help in the future, raise the deductible.
Thanks for all the Congrats and well wishes from everyone !!!

I will be talking with the insurance companies about the ability to move into higher deductible plans as needed throughout the years. I need to see how difficult that might be. Will start working on that monday with lots of questions ready.
I can't help but wonder what all the legislation being worked on now might bring my way (good and bad). There's a lot up in the air to be jumping out of the work place at this time. Got to just hope for the best though.
Thanks Again and keep any thoughts you all have coming my way,
Steve

PS. I've been reading and looking into all the links and info you guys sent.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:09 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
Thanks for all the Congrats and well wishes from everyone !!!

I will be talking with the insurance companies about the ability to move into higher deductible plans as needed throughout the years. I need to see how difficult that might be. Will start working on that monday with lots of questions ready.
I can't help but wonder what all the legislation being worked on now might bring my way (good and bad). There's a lot up in the air to be jumping out of the work place at this time. Got to just hope for the best though.
Thanks Again and keep any thoughts you all have coming my way,
Steve

PS. I've been reading and looking into all the links and info you guys sent.
I went the high deductible route, 10k deductible. So far so good. I still get doctor and drug copay's so everyday stuff is covered like anyone else. But I will get tapped pretty good if I ever have any hospital stays. Rolling the dice a little but I am willing to self insure for the first 10k or so. But in your case with your company stepping up and paying for a good chunk of the premium, I would probably start with a 1-2k deductible. I don't think raising the ded will be a problem at all.

Good luck with your insurance application and retirement. Anything in particular you are planning to do next year?
Old 11-22-2009, 08:33 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
But in your case with your company stepping up and paying for a good chunk of the premium, I would probably start with a 1-2k deductible. I don't think raising the ded will be a problem at all.

Good luck with your insurance application and retirement. Anything in particular you are planning to do next year?
I'm going to try to get the (insurance) application going this week. We'll see what happens? Also been busy trying to take advantage of my current coverage, getting eyes checked, families teeth taken care of, etc.

As for plans this coming year? No big plans at this time. Right now I just want to get things settled (insurance/benefits) then I'll start to move into bigger plans. I do have several hobbies, a mini farm to care for and a honey do list about 2 miles long . I think I've put off every project I could for the last 3 years. My line has been "will that wait until retirement". Looks like its all about to catch up with me .
Anyway, I don't think I'll be borred for a very long time.
Thanks for asking,
Steve
Old 12-09-2009, 11:54 AM   #30

Thought I would check in and up-date a little.
Things are still lining up pretty good.
The insurance company sent us cards so I guess that means we made it through the pre-existing condition hoops. I wasn't so sure how high that hurdle might be. They accepted my first payment also. I went ahead and paid for December even though I'm still under a different plan. The insurance rep said I could lock in 2009 price for one year if I did this. I realize they will probably make up for that break next year though.

I'm kind of a nervous cat, reading about people having to go back to work and all that.
Here I am jumping out at the same time.
Anyway, I signed the papers and have given a date. 1/02/2010 but 12/17/2009 should be my last day to actually work, the rest will be vacation days I need to take. Funny thing, I haven't even told my supervisor or anyone (not even work friends) except H.R. department so far. They will all be shocked when I break the news. I'm trying to keep it as quiet as possible until next week which will be my last one if all goes well. Probably will tell them on Monday if it doesn't leak out before then.
Steve
Old 12-09-2009, 12:02 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Anyway, I signed the papers and have given a date. 1/02/2010 but 12/17/2009 should be my last day to actually work, the rest will be vacation days I need to take.
EXCELLENT!! You are essentially done. Congratulat ions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc
Funny thing, I haven't even told my supervisor or anyone (not even work friends) except H.R. department so far. They will all be shocked when I break the news. I'm trying to keep it as quit as possible until next week which will be my last one if all goes well. Probably will tell them on Monday if it doesn't leak out before then.
Steve
I'd suggest taking personal items home every day, so you don't forget anything at the last minute.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:09 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I'm trying to keep it as quit as possible until next week which will be my last one if all goes well. Probably will tell them on Monday if it doesn't leak out before then.
Steve
Freudian slip?
Keim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
EXCELLENT!! You are essentially done. Congratulat ions!

I'd suggest taking personal items home every day, so you don't forget anything at the last minute.
I've been taking things home and making notes so I don't forget anything for a week or so now. I'm right with you on this. I'll be lucky if I don't forget something though. I mean after 30 years of stashing stuff, who knows? I do have a friend or 2 that would probably help me out if I think of something later on.
Thanks so much for your congrats,
Steve
Old 12-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Freudian slip?

How about quit quietly.
Steve

PS. If spell check doesn't catch it, I'm in big trouble.
You Know, I think I'll just start telling people English is my second or third language. My grammar and spelling isn't good enough for it to be my first.
That's the Ticket !!!
Old 12-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement. I missed this thread until this morning.
Enjoy taking vacation time until it runs out. Early retirement is a great way to start a new year.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:35 PM   #36

Another interesting (to me) note !!!
Not sure if I mentioned this before ?
I did not plan this part:
The last day I work is exactly to the date 30 years.
I started on 12/17/1979
Last day at work 12/17/2009
Just a neat happenstance,
Steve

PS. spell check seems to think I got happenstance right.
Who would have thunk it?
Old 12-09-2009, 12:40 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Probably will tell them on Monday if it doesn't leak out before then.
Steve
I promise I won't say a word....

Congrats Steve!
Old 12-09-2009, 01:04 PM   #38

Folks, I must admit this retirement thing can be an emotional roller coaster.
One day (in my mind) I'm all excited. Doing all the things I dream of - taking my time and all that.
The next day or night, fear will creep in and say: Are you nuts giving up your good job?
I still think I'll be OK but it will take some adjusting,
Steve

Big Change for me.
Do you think it bothers men more than the ladies?
Since we were and are taught to be the big tough bread winners and all that junk?
Don't jump on me now ladies, I'm just wondering out loud? I know everybody works these days. But I always took it serious, trying to take care of my family. This may have been discussed on the board before?
Old 12-09-2009, 01:08 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I promise I won't say a word....

Congrats Steve!

Good thing none of my co-workers know about the coolest forums on the Internet !!! I Hope
Old 12-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post
Congratulations on your upcoming retirement. I missed this thread until this morning.
Enjoy taking vacation time until it runs out. Early retirement is a great way to start a new year.

Thanks KB