Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-09-2009, 02:17 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
Good thing none of my co-workers know about the coolest forums on the Internet !!! I Hope
Too late! I'm in the cubicle next door. By the way, can I have your cool desk organizer?

Just kidding. Congrats and best wishes

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2009, 02:36 PM   #42
Administrator

Quote:
Big Change for me.
Do you think it bothers men more than the ladies?
Since we were and are taught to be the big tough bread winners and all that junk?
Don't jump on me now ladies, I'm just wondering out loud? I know everybody works these days. But I always took it serious, trying to take care of my family. This may have been discussed on the board before?
I think you're probably right - - I suppose that often men are indoctrinated at a pretty early age concerning their responsibilities towards their families. I don't feel a single BIT of guilt or nostalgia for my working life. I will sing it from the rooftops - - I AM RETIRED (so take that!)!

On the other hand, the concept of running out of money isn't very appealing to anybody. As Frank puts it, "Does it matter you drown in 6 feet of water or 10 feet of water?" LBYM, a sizeable portfolio, and the thought that "After all, I have always got by somehow and I will always find a way" help me during timid moments.

Today, ONE MONTH after retiring, I finally got the first indication from govt that anybody knows I still exist - - got a letter from my payroll center saying that my packet had been sent to OPM via a Register of Separations, and included my Register number and date. So, I am no longer lost in Retirement Limbo (when I was neither working, nor in existence as far as OPM's retirement people are concerned). I tried not to think about the "what ifs" of getting lost in a huge bureaucracy during the past month because if I did, it was a little unnerving.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:40 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Folks, I must admit this retirement thing can be an emotional roller coaster.
One day (in my mind) I'm all excited. Doing all the things I dream of - taking my time and all that.
The next day or night, fear will creep in and say: Are you nuts giving up your good job?
I still think I'll be OK but it will take some adjusting,
Steve
Yeah...it's a big adjustment. I assume you have gone over your figures numerous times and are well prepared. You're not falling off the face of the earth darlin'...if you feel a bit queasy on down the line, you can get a part-time j*b.
Quote:
Big Change for me.
Since we were and are taught to be the big tough bread winners and all that junk?
Don't jump on me now ladies, I'm just wondering out loud? I know everybody works these days. But I always took it serious, trying to take care of my family. This may have been discussed on the board before?
Perhaps...at least that's the way I feel about it regarding my generation.

Remember...even though you're retired, you're still taking care of your family.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Steve

Big Change for me.

No, I think it bothers both sexes equally . The days of women thinking they were going to be provided for are long gone . I always took my job seriously especially when I was a single Mom . I had that same queasiness when I finally pulled the plug but so far everything has turned out fine and I am approaching the two year mark . It should have been the three year mark but I chickened out and worked one day a week for a year . I was concerned about the lack of checks but I was more concerned about the lack of social contact which I've taken care of .
Old 12-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
(snip)Anyway, I signed the papers and have given a date. 1/02/2010 but 12/17/2009 should be my last day to actually work, the rest will be vacation days I need to take. Funny thing, I haven't even told my supervisor or anyone (not even work friends) except H.R. department so far. They will all be shocked when I break the news. I'm trying to keep it as quiet as possible until next week which will be my last one if all goes well. Probably will tell them on Monday if it doesn't leak out before then.
Steve
Hi Steve,
congratulations on your retirement! One of my co-....errr...former co-w*rkers just did more or less the same thing you are. He'd been getting stressed out and dissatisfied with his job, went through all his figures over Thanksgiving weekend, decided he could make it on what he would have coming in, and announced his retirement when he came back. I don't think he had even told HR in advance. He just decided he'd had enough and was outta here. I think he also has vacation to use up, but I'm pretty sure the day after he told people he was retiring was his last day here at the office.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:47 PM   #46

Quote:
Folks, I must admit this retirement thing can be an emotional roller coaster.
One day (in my mind) I'm all excited. Doing all the things I dream of - taking my time and all that.
The next day or night, fear will creep in and say: Are you nuts giving up your good job?
I still think I'll be OK but it will take some adjusting,
Steve
Trust yourself and your judgement - it's done you well so far.

Quote:
Big Change for me.
This was much more of an issue for DW (and some of her female-type friends) than me. Among family and friends some are unable to see past stereotypes and others through envy-tinted glasses. Not much can be done about that, and you certainly don't want to live your life by another's standards - especially one that isn't FI and can't RE.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:25 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Steve,

Congratulations on the retirement and being approved for insurance. Your situation brings back memories about you planned and have it prepared without letting your co-w*rkers yet.

When I did the same, looking back it was funny because I first told my boss about my decison on a private conference call. I told him, that I'll break the news to my immediate team. Then I could hear over the cubicles teamates whispering that my boss had called and told them my news. The following day, I set up a meeting to tell the team...before the meeting started, my partner comes up to me and says "Hey, I heard you decided to retire?" -- the good old grapevine.

Congrats again!
Old 12-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

I did the opposite I told all my co -workers but they thought I was kidding since I retired the year before and returned to working one day a week . I finally said "Okay I am taking a break . It may be six months or it may be forever . " They still thought I'd come back but they were wrong .
Old 12-17-2009, 10:04 PM   #49

NEWS FLASH

Steve Turns in his badge, radio and Keys etc.
Walks out to the parking lot with big smile on his face.
Will ride out the rest of the year on vacation.
Free @ Last
The Holidays and visiting with family and friends will really be special this year.
Steve
Old 12-17-2009, 10:06 PM   #50

YEAH Steve !!!

Enjoy the Holidays and your freedom.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:25 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Keep the shiny side up! Congratulations Steve!
Old 12-17-2009, 11:13 PM   #52
Administrator

Quote:
NEWS FLASH

Free @ Last
The Holidays and visiting with family and friends will really be special this year.
Steve
CONGRATULATIONS!!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:53 AM   #53

Quote:
NEWS FLASH

Free @ Last
Steve
Doesn't it feel good? Congratulations!
Old 12-18-2009, 09:03 AM   #54

Congratulations!
Old 12-18-2009, 10:49 PM   #55

Thanks for all the congrad's and well wishes.
It does feel and seem all very good.
I can't seem to get this smile off my face.
I'm sure I have some adjusting to do but with the holidays it all seems very normal at this point. I have always taken time off and enjoy visiting friends and family during this time of year.
I guess after the 1st of the year I'll be like, wasn't I supposed to go back to? Oh NO Not A Chance !!!
Don't even give it a consideration
Steve
Old 12-18-2009, 10:55 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations Steve! You deserve the big grin!
Old 12-23-2009, 10:22 AM   #57

Great news Steve! Enjoy the Holidays and give us an update in a month or so on how you're doing.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:25 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Wow Steve, I think I missed that FIRE was coming so soon! Congratulations and I look forward to hearing what you do all day. Or not do.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:16 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

YAY!

Y'all give me hope, as I still have a few years before I can pull the plug.

Everbody keep posting your escape stories, ok?

ta,
mew