The tax man cometh - Mutual Fund Cap Gain Distributions

Perhaps someone can enlighten me here.

But aren't the bulk of the capital gains due to redemptions then distributed back to those doing the redemption ? For a buy and holder the capital gains hit (if any) should be modest.

please enlighten me as to how this works.

But aren't the bulk of the capital gains due to redemptions then distributed back to those doing the redemption ? For a buy and holder the capital gains hit (if any) should be modest.

Don't know for sure but I would guess that the gains are distributed equally to all the shares on the record date. If true, that means that the buy and holders also get hit. I know my largest distributions were in 2000 which was the start of the down market.

there is an advantage to paying cap gains taxes early, if rates increase.

The net realized capital gains, whether caused by changes in portfolio or redemptions, have to be distributed to the fund share-holders. The distribution is split across all the current share-holders.

Back
Top Bottom