Join Early Retirement Today

The three credit bureaus are now using the SAME SCORING SYSTEM!
Old 03-14-2006, 09:05 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The three credit bureaus are now using the SAME SCORING SYSTEM!

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060314/credi...oney.html?.v=4

Isn't that something?

I think this should've happend long, long ago.

I'm eager to see what my score is now, BUT I don't want to cough up the dough. However, I should only need to get it from one of the three....so that won't be too bad.

Then I can use my free reports from the other two to compare data, which is what will affect the score.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: The three credit bureaus are now using the SAME SCORING SYSTEM!
Old 03-14-2006, 10:37 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed
I'm eager to see what my score is now, BUT I don't want to cough up the dough.* However, I should only need to get it from one of the three....so that won't be too bad.
What most people do is order a free report from one of the three agencies every four months (thanks, Cut-Throat).

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 11:33 AM   #3

You get free REPORTS from the three bureaus annually, but not free SCORES from the bureaus. For that, you msut pay.

I'm sure that since this board is retiree's with soudn finances, many of you dont pay a lot of attention to scores..... which is understandable.

I posted this link in the finance section of another popular board and there was hundreds of views instantaneously.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:44 AM   #4

Quote:
I'm sure that since this board is retiree's with soudn finances, many of you dont pay a lot of attention to scores..... which is understandable.
Nobody should pay attention to credit scores. It is just another way to make money off of consumers
Old 03-14-2006, 11:45 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You get free REPORTS from the three bureaus annually, but not free SCORES from the bureaus.* For that, you msut pay.
Yep, you're absolutely right, I stand corrected.

Quote:
This morning the board has 2253 members, a growth of over 10% in the last few months. *I doubt that even 30% of the active POSTERS are retirees, let alone the lurkers.

I think the reason scores aren't looked at very much here is because most of the members are more focused on accumulating assets than on improving their ability to accumulate debt.

Quote:
I posted this link in the finance section of another popular board and there was hundreds of views instantaneously.
Does that imply the topic is much more popular on the other board, that you're much more popular on the other board, or just that the other board happens to have a lot more traffic than this board?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 11:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I think the reason scores aren't looked at very much here is because most of the members are more focused on accumulating assets than on improving their ability to accumulate debt.
Good point! However, I must say that at the other board, debt is not the goal either. It seems their focus is playing credit card games, points and rewards games, BT games, etc....and then examinign the results of these activities. I even followed suit, and have a huge CC maxed out right now, with the $$ sitting in a savings account earning over 4%. The cc's rate is 0% for life. Can't beat that!!!!!

Quote:
Does that imply the topic is much more popular on the other board, that you're much more popular on the other board, or just that the other board happens to have a lot more traffic than this board?
I didnt imply anything. When reading my statement out of context, one might imagine I did. But the explanation is just one sentence before the statement you quoted....

Maddy: I'm not sure I understand? When I refi'd my home, they pulled my scores and gave them to me. I waited a week and they re-pulled them, thus lowering my APR by .25% on a 15 yr mortgage. Seems like it was good thing to pay attention to....
Old 03-14-2006, 12:21 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

0% for life seems unbelievable.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:27 PM   #8

There's a few out there. CITI and Discover.

Discover is still active

Call 1-800-DISCOVER and tell them you saw an ad of 0% for life and bonus reward points, btu dont have the code.

They'll give you the promo code and process an app.

I just helped my dad with one, and he moved 20k from about 15% interest to 0%.

HERES THE CATCH You must make 2 $1.00 purchases every billing cycle. If not, it reverts to standard apr.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:36 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This morning the board has 2253 members, a growth of over 10% in the last few months. I doubt that even 30% of the active POSTERS are retirees, let alone the lurkers.
Considering the posting levels appear to me to drop hugely on weekends, it looks like quite a few of the active posters are people doing it from work. Otherwise, one day is like every other and the posting levels could be flat.

Disclaimer: I have not run a 5 9's analysis on posting patterns, it is just my observation that post volume drops. It is also possible that most early retirees take weekends off from posting to forums, I have done no high end studies on this matter either. If there is any other doubt as to wording or intent, please choose the most minute aspect of my post to pick to death.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 12:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n Fuzzy Bunny
If there is any other doubt as to wording or intent, please choose the most minute aspect of my post to pick to death.
ha ha
Old 03-14-2006, 01:29 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n Fuzzy Bunny
as to
And just what do you mean by that!!

:P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 04:16 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I believe I mean "Blow Me!".

Perhaps I'm being too verbose though.

Its been revised. I may change my picture and my name again just to be sure.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote