Join Early Retirement Today

The time to do some tax-loss harvesting?
Old 10-16-2014, 11:09 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

The time to do some tax-loss harvesting?

I'm a relatively new taxable investor in mutual funds (although long-time sheltered investor in IRAs/403b/457 accounts). So I'm just starting to consider tax consequences of dividends and capital gains from mutual funds.

Given the recent drop in stock prices (especially international) I assume this is a good time to harvest my losses in VTIAX and immediately reinvest. I do understand that I have to be careful about wash sales but as I understand the rules I will be OK if the repurchase is not “substantially identical”.

Does this mean I could buy/exchange into a US-focused mutual fund (VTSAX) or a balanced fund (VWENX) without waiting 30 days? Could I exchange for a different international fund (more regionally restricted than VTIAX)? Any advice would be appreciated.
fosterscik is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2014, 11:23 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

IMO VTIAX is not substantially identical to VTSAX or VWENX. A more regionally restricted international fund would probably be ok too.

This article even suggests that VFWAX isn't substantially identical to VTIAX because of small cap difference so that might be a good play to harvest losses but keep close to your current AA.

Capital Loss Harvesting for the Index Investor – Saverocity Finance

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:52 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the info pb4uski - your view is what I suspected but its nice to have some confirmation. The big question now is whether to pull the trigger or assume VTIAX will rebound quickly (within the next 30 days). My suspicion is that the US markets will recover over that time period but Europe in particular may languish or drop further.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just another suggestion--if you can, take the tax loss in your non-retirement funds and go ahead and make the full yearly contributions to the tax sheltered ones. That way the gain is now tax sheltered. Yes it is a bit like timing the market but if you are going to make the contributions anyway...
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:59 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the idea Ark, but I made my max Roth contribution back in January (and I'm maxing out my 403b and 435 by payroll deduction).
Old 10-16-2014, 01:13 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

You're really bad at this market timing thing! ;-)
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:21 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't need reminding
Any investment advice I give should be treated very cautiously...