Join Early Retirement Today

The toll so far - 3 extra years of work.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:50 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

The toll so far - 3 extra years of work.

When I wrote my "Hi, I am" post just 2 long, long, long months ago, my portfolio was down just a little - maybe 2% or so. I had been closing in on FIRE, which could have been a few months away. Now my portfolio is down much more: 15% or so. Of course, most of you share this pain, or worse.

I just ran some numbers to calculate how long I would have to work to make up for this drop. I don't mean saving enough to compensate (that's almost impossible at this point in my life), but a combination of savings, better pension numbers and a few less years of withdrawal. It came to 3 years of extra work (and rising) to maintain the same spending levels.

I do have substantial cash-equivalent savings that could sustain me for a decade or two. In 3 years the markets may substantially recover, but of course we could be in for a longer, harder road too.

It's futile to think about what might have been, but I do feel a bit of irony that I had recently moved from an almost absurdly defensive position (due to pre-tenure uncertainties) to a much more balanced position, right on the eve of this brutal market. My rationale for doing so was the newly-enhanced security of my job. Now the latter is quite welcome.

I had the ability to take risk, I had the willingness to do so, but I lacked the obvious need to do so. I don't suppose the third is a deal-breaker, and one could argue that I wasn't in a position to withstand 30-40 years of inflation without being in the game. But my old ways had worked for me. Alas, they would have continued to work very well for me for an extra 6-12 months!

I could still retire early, but a few more years seems in the cards at the moment. I had been struggling to come to this conclusion anyway, and so maybe this difficult period will make that choice a bit easier. It did seem a bit absurd to toss aside the privileges of tenure so soon after winning that battle. And who knows, everything could turn around soon, too!

Cheers.
Grep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2008, 01:03 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

And here comes the last hour of trading. Bend over.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
And here comes the last hour of trading. Bend over.
Good call. The Dow had been benignly down all day and it has now plunged 280 points...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:07 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Good call. The Dow had been benignly down all day and it has now plunged 280 points...
It's about as good a call as proclaiming that the sun will set in the west tonight.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 10-09-2008, 01:11 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It's about as good a call as proclaiming that the sun will set in the west tonight.
Yep... The DOW is now back to July 2003 levels... Sorry Grep, it looks like you (and I) just delayed ER by a few more months today...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:25 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Fall of 2008, when every day feels like capitulation day!
Old 10-09-2008, 01:30 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Well, we can keep that from happening. Sell puts on the sun setting in the west and it'll surely set in the east. You're the all-powerful Ziggy after all.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:32 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
Well, we can keep that from happening. Sell puts on the sun setting in the west and it'll surely set in the east. You're the all-powerful Ziggy after all.
Good point. And stop calling me Shirley.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:19 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

... Make that 4 years.
Grep is offline   Reply With Quote