Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The Touted "10% per Year for Ten Years" Investment Ad
Old 06-13-2018, 02:36 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.
MikeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Leesburg, VA
Posts: 835
The Touted "10% per Year for Ten Years" Investment Ad

I listen to some talk radio. I am astounded by the ads for natural erection pills and dog food that stops shedding. Oh, and the "new kind" of cat litter! I have figgered out that I have to take the ads with a grain of salt.

I have heard one that says it is an investment plan that returns 10% per year for ten years. Well, that "adds" up but what is their trick? How do they make money? I don't think they can say stuff that's just totally false, can they? Especially when money is involved as the product.

I am asking in earnest and would read their materials but the contact method is a text to a number or leaving info on a phone answering machine, neither of which I am willing to do just to satisfy my curiosity.

Can someone who knows tell me what they are selling?

Thanks,
Mike D.
__________________

__________________
I just want to celebrate another day of livin'
I just want to celebrate another day of life

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2018, 02:39 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I listen to some talk radio. I am astounded by the ads for natural erection pills and dog food that stops shedding. Oh, and the "new kind" of cat litter! I have figgered out that I have to take the ads with a grain of salt.

I have heard one that says it is an investment plan that returns 10% per year for ten years. Well, that "adds" up but what is their trick? How do they make money? I don't think they can say stuff that's just totally false, can they? Especially when money is involved as the product.

I am asking in earnest and would read their materials but the contact method is a text to a number or leaving info on a phone answering machine, neither of which I am willing to do just to satisfy my curiosity.

Can someone who knows tell me what they are selling?

Thanks,
Mike D.
Just because its on the radio doesn't make it legit. There was financial guy here in Colorado that was on TV all the time and even had John Elway talk at his events. The guy was running a ponzi scheme and was eventually convicted.
__________________

COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:48 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I have heard one that says it is an investment plan that returns 10% per year for ten years.
If you give me $1,000,000 today, I promise to return $100,000 per year for ten years.

Trust me.
__________________
Old enough to know better.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:55 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
always_learning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 77
Forget the 10% for 10 years.... I want to know about the new kind of cat litter!! I'd love for someone to invent cat litter that just evaporates when liquids and solids come into contact with it. No scooping necessary!

I haven't listened to live radio in ages (I stream/podcast because I hate ads) so I haven't heard those lovely promises you mentioned, but I do have decades of live radio listening under my belt so I understand what you're talking about. Isn't there "truth in advertising"? Was there a long list of caveats played at the end of that ad in 3x speed?
always_learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:08 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.
MikeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Leesburg, VA
Posts: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
If you give me $1,000,000 today, I promise to return $100,000 per year for ten years.

Trust me.
That's what I meant by "adds up" in quotes. They seem to imply returns. I don't remember the exact wording and I don't think I was intended to.

Also, I didn't hear a fast talking disclaimer as I'd have attributed the marvel of 10% returns to that.
__________________
I just want to celebrate another day of livin'
I just want to celebrate another day of life

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:22 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 284
It might be one of these deals where they’re buying real estate but you get the loan in your name and the leverages return on your down payment is expected to be 10%.
__________________
F.I. in my 30's, OMYing well into my 40's!
RenoJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:35 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.
MikeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Leesburg, VA
Posts: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoJay View Post
It might be one of these deals where they’re buying real estate but you get the loan in your name and the leverages return on your down payment is expected to be 10%.
Thanks for the reply to my question. I don't usually go for "Sure Things" and "Great Deals" such as that so I don't know much about these kind of things.

Thanks,
Mike D.
__________________
I just want to celebrate another day of livin'
I just want to celebrate another day of life

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Laurel, MD
Posts: 3,372
I had a boss that I greatly respected tell me repeatedly about a "ten for ten" plan that "his guy" put him into. I tried to ask if that included some return of principal but he didn't get it. Now I'm thinking it could be a plan like OP described, e.g. 100% return of principal with no investment gain. If you are terrified of the market it might seem reasonable.
__________________
...with no reasonable expectation for ER, I'm just here auditing the AP class.Retired 8/1/15.
jazz4cash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:44 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Sunset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Posts: 5,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I had a boss that I greatly respected tell me repeatedly about a "ten for ten" plan that "his guy" put him into. I tried to ask if that included some return of principal but he didn't get it. Now I'm thinking it could be a plan like OP described, e.g. 100% return of principal with no investment gain. If you are terrified of the market it might seem reasonable.
So why not put it in 2% FDIC insured CD's and take out 10% per year. Would still have more $$$ left after the 10 years
__________________
Fortune favors the prepared mind. ... Louis Pasteur
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:53 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
OldShooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: City
Posts: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
... Can someone who knows tell me what they are selling? ...
Same thing the casinos and the lotteries are selling: dreams of a free lunch. No need to sleuth out details.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:27 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Laurel, MD
Posts: 3,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
So why not put it in 2% FDIC insured CD's and take out 10% per year. Would still have more $$$ left after the 10 years


I agree, why not? But I think he beloved getting 10% is better than getting 2% ( was way less at the time, too) not realizing it is comparing apples to oranges. Some folks have more confidence using a "money guy". Not to many "money guys" are gonna use an FDIC account. I know a lot of people like my old boss.
__________________
...with no reasonable expectation for ER, I'm just here auditing the AP class.Retired 8/1/15.
jazz4cash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:19 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
NYEXPAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Miraflores,Peru
Posts: 1,115
I am surprised to hear people still listen to radio's! Maybe, because I don't have a car and the stations broadcast in a language I do not understand?
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:26 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets
USGrant1962's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: DC area
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
I am surprised to hear people still listen to radio's! Maybe, because I don't have a car and the stations broadcast in a language I do not understand?
All my radio listening is in the car, and it is a lot less than before I retired
__________________
Semi-ER March 24, 2017
USGrant1962
USGrant1962 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:34 AM   #14
Moderator
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 9,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
I am surprised to hear people still listen to radio's! Maybe, because I don't have a car and the stations broadcast in a language I do not understand?
You've lived in South America for how many years?
And you're not fluent in the language?
__________________
I thought growing old would take longer.
braumeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:35 AM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,955
In our area there have been several very large Ponzi scams with losses extending into the hundreds of millions of dollars.

The scammers purchased time on the Christian radio station. Two-three hours every Saturday. The turned it into a financial program but the real reason was to promote their scam as wonderful investment.

They signed up many luckless suckers who assumed that it was legit simply because it was on a Christian radio station. Big mistake.

Trust but verify. They didn't.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:35 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Tampa
Posts: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
All my radio listening is in the car, and it is a lot less than before I retired
+1 and just music.
__________________

__________________
TGIM
Dtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Next Ten Years - Crystal Ball imoldernu Other topics 63 02-07-2015 01:53 PM
Win the lottery or ten years, whichever comes first! BuysToys Hi, I am... 14 07-12-2013 02:45 AM
Your Crystal Ball - Ten Years From Now? Midpack FIRE and Money 73 10-09-2010 05:46 PM
Ten Years Later Coach Other topics 13 01-06-2010 09:10 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:36 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.