Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

The Ultimate Cheapskate?
Old 06-15-2008, 12:39 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

The Ultimate Cheapskate?

Has anyone picked up Jeff Yeager's The Ultimate Cheapskate's Road Map to True Riches? I think there's only so many ways to tell someone to stop spending all your money, so there probably isn't much new, but I'm more interested in how humorous it's supposed to be. Any reviews?
RetiredGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sarah in SC recommended it to me a couple months ago and I finally got our library's copy-- after all, Yeager can't be expecting anyone to actually buy his book.

It started out pretty good-- until my spouse hijacked it. Judging by the snickers & giggles coming from the other room, it's still pretty good.

He's a funny writer. I especially like his concepts of "Settling for enough, not for less" and his dreaded omnivore, the "Enoughasaurus". He also has no patience for those "financial advisors" who prattle on about the latté factor.

But a detailed report will have to wait until I'm able to finish the book...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:42 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It must be pretty good, I am on a waiting list at the libary for it. I am number 20.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:34 PM   #4

I think I'll have to get it then. I still have that $30 credit from Amazon, but I'd still like very much to read a review Nords, if you ever manage to wrestle the book back.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:24 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I have not read it but feel I am living it. DW and I were in the pharmacy and read cards to each other for our upcoming annivesary.
cashbalancetrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashbalancetrouble View Post
I have not read it but feel I am living it. DW and I were in the pharmacy and read cards to each other for our upcoming annivesary.
What a riot!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:35 AM   #7
gone traveling

Is this book reads like a comic or something similar? Does he ridicule thrifty people? I've never heard of the author before. But I requested a copy from my library, too. I'm asking what kind of book it is, so that I know beforehand whether he writes serious stuff or just for humor and I don't get confused.
aida2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:03 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

look like it has some good idea -
Amazon.com: The Ultimate Cheapskate's Road Map to True Riches: A Practical (and Fun) Guide to Enjoying Life More by Spending Less: Jeff Yeager: Books

The author recommends the book "Your Money or Your Life" which i think is a good complimentary book. It lays out the whole idea of seeing how you trade your life energy for money - (so make a good trade!). I feel this is a great next book because it takes that idea and gives more day ways to implement this idea of really spending your time and money on what matters.

++++++++++++++++
I think I'm where I am financially and thought wise when it comes to spending. If anything, I want to get into the habit of spending a bit more on the things that matter to me.

Basically, I have a budget and I track my spending to a degree so I can make informed decisions.

Also, I think when working people focus a bit too much on spending instead of thinking how they can maximize their income.
- part time jobs
- ebay - sell your stuff
or maximize their primary work income.
- don't stay a position too long
- change companies
- ask for a raise
- take compnay paid courses to advance in your field
Old 06-16-2008, 02:41 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Wow, Jeff, thanks for joining us--I really enjoyed the book and think that the other folks here will as well. It was hilarious, and also quite useful in tips and techniques, but without the dry, dusty stuff so common in frugal living type books.
It is a fun, informative book--I hope Nords likes it as much as his DW.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:51 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for your interest in my little book. I hope you have a chance to read it, and, if you do, I hope you enjoy it. It’s my first book, and I’m very proud of it. By all means, borrow it from the library or, if you decide to buy a copy, please pass it along to someone else after you’ve read it.

I describe the book as having three ingredients: 1 – Practical advice for how you can enjoy life more, but ONLY by spending less; 2- A laugh track (albeit with a PG-13 rating); 3 – A very serious side … I talk about everything from the environment to world hunger, and how all of that is impacted by what we chose to spend and consume everyday. Don’t worry aida2003, the only thrifty person I make fun of in the book is me! Indeed, I worship my brothers and sister of the Cheaphood.

Thanks again for your interest, and Stay Cheap!

-Jeff Yeager
Author, The Ultimate Cheapskate’s Road Map to True Riches
Ultimate Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:27 PM   #11

I too am on the waiting list with the library (number 19 ).
Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:39 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Sure, there's a point at which overspending becomes garish and wasteful, but there's also a point at which being super frugal can become downright bizarre.

I really wonder how many people actually choose to live so frugally, as oppose to being forced into it.
CaseInPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:14 PM   #13

Hey Jeff, thank you for giving a little preview!
Old 06-17-2008, 06:08 AM   #14
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Cheapskate View Post
Thanks for your interest in my little book. I hope you have a chance to read it, and, if you do, I hope you enjoy it. It’s my first book, and I’m very proud of it. By all means, borrow it from the library or, if you decide to buy a copy, please pass it along to someone else after you’ve read it.

I describe the book as having three ingredients: 1 – Practical advice for how you can enjoy life more, but ONLY by spending less; 2- A laugh track (albeit with a PG-13 rating); 3 – A very serious side … I talk about everything from the environment to world hunger, and how all of that is impacted by what we chose to spend and consume everyday. Don’t worry aida2003, the only thrifty person I make fun of in the book is me! Indeed, I worship my brothers and sister of the Cheaphood.

Thanks again for your interest, and Stay Cheap!

-Jeff Yeager
Author, The Ultimate Cheapskate’s Road Map to True Riches
Cool, I was honored to get a response from the author himself . Now I'll definitely go to get my copy from the library when it arrives. I'm #1, so it must be soon. Since other copies were checked out (maybe 10 or so of them), I'm glad that there are more frugally minded people in Charlotte, NC.
aida2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:37 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Wow, Jeff, thanks for joining us--I really enjoyed the book and think that the other folks here will as well. It was hilarious, and also quite useful in tips and techniques, but without the dry, dusty stuff so common in frugal living type books.
It is a fun, informative book--I hope Nords likes it as much as his DW.

Thanks Sarah, the pleasure is all mine. I’ve been having a blast – and learning a lot – by poking around here in the ER Forums. I hope to hang out a lot more around here.

Glad you liked my book. BTW, did you notice that I dedicated the book to Denise, my pooooor wife? Obviously the woman’s a saint, putting up with America’s Cheapest Man for all these years. So the least I could do is dedicate my book to Denise …. even though she’s not actually read it yet. Yep, I’m still waiting for her to fork over the $12.95, just like anybody else.

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager
Old 06-17-2008, 07:13 AM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

I'm stopping at the library today to pick it up . I almost ordered it from Amazon used of course but that would go against the cheapskates principals.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:18 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Jeff, all I can say is I hope that somewhere out there in frugal land are some "less-frugal" folks that are actually buying your book, LOL! Maybe after all this library reading we'll buy some copies as gifts, I hope!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:28 AM   #18

The irony of the frugality of people using the library to read a book about living frugally is almost overwhelming.
CitricAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:04 AM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitricAcid View Post
The irony of the frugality of people using the library to read a book about living frugally is almost overwhelming.
Yup! Or else, folks who really walk the talk. I love it!

BTW, I just ordered the book from Amazon...albeit with a 40% off coupon I've been saving just for such a buy.
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:18 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Jeff, all I can say is I hope that somewhere out there in frugal land are some "less-frugal" folks that are actually buying your book, LOL! Maybe after all this library reading we'll buy some copies as gifts, I hope!
Thanks again Sarah, I appreciate the sentiment. As you know from my book, though, I’m a big supporter of public libraries. In fact I’m doing my book tours (aka the Tour de Cheapskate – Jeff Yeager || The Ultimate Cheapskate) around the country by bicycle and staying in the homes of fellow cheapskate along the way, so that I can donate what I save (about $2,000 so far) to local libraries along my route.

No, I’m not offended when folks borrow my book from a library; public libraries are a terrific resource and obviously at least the libraries are buying copies of it. That said, I do get emails from readers – a fair number of them, too - saying that they loved my book so much they spent every lunch hour for two weeks standing in the back of Barnes & Noble reading it cover to cover! These are inevitably the messages that end with, "PS - I can't wait to read your next book!" Fair enough, but do they really not understand that a "next book" is predicated upon someone actually BUYING the current one? Oh well ..

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager