Join Early Retirement Today

The ultimate in recycling and a new source for finding gold
Old 03-26-2015, 07:06 AM   #1
Administrator

The ultimate in recycling and a new source for finding gold

A true Midas touch - turning feces into gold? Feces contains gold worth millions

Quote:
Human feces contains gold and other precious metals that could be worth hundreds of millions of dollars, experts say.

MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2015, 07:12 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A new source of revenue for nursing homes

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:20 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

People thought disposable diapers were bad for landfills--now they are literal goldmines.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:32 AM   #4

I used to laugh at the Japanese companies that have been developing ever more sophisticated toilets. Not any more.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:45 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

That stinks...

Not what I wanted to read after breakfast.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:17 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Interesting. Years ago, just for fun, I wrote up a short document with some of my predictions for the future. One of them was that our landfills would be 'mined' for all the stuff we threw out, that in the future will be economically retrievable. Didn't think in these terms though.

As an aside - this could go in the pet-peeve or even the rant thread, but that linked article gives an example of just how bad 'journalisim' is these days. One quote:

Quote:
A recent study by another group of experts in the field found that waste from one million Americans could contain as much as $13 million worth of metals.
I read that, and realized nothing really useful was conveyed because no time period was specified. I could also say I have bench pressed thousands of pounds.

I went to another source, and they seemed to actually understand that (bold mine):

Quote:
A previous study, by Arizona State University, estimated that a city of 1 million inhabitants flushed about $13m (£8.7m) worth of precious metals down toilets and sewer drains each year.
Ahhhh, now I feel better. Two words to complete the meaning, or even one word (annually), was that so hard?

Now I'm still on my first cup, but if I'm moving decimals correctly:

Quote:
The eight-year study, which involved monthly testing of treated sewage samples, found that 1kg of sludge contained about 0.4mg gold, 28mg of silver, 638mg copper and 49mg vanadium.
1kg is 1000mg, and there are 1000mg in a gram, so 0.4mg of gold in 1kg of sludge would be... 0.4 ppm? Seems high to me. I suppose we could figure average sludge production per person, times 1 million, times 365 days and multiply by concentrations and value of the minerals to check that, but I'll pass (no pun intended).

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:30 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

One of my high school teachers pointed out that there is more gold in the ocean than has ever been mined on land. Of course, the volume of ocean water you have to "mine" to get any reasonable amount of gold is so large its not economical.

Now sewage, having to go thru a treatment plant anyway, might be worthwhile. Especially if you can extract all the jewelry that I'm sure gets flushed down toilets and sinks by accident!
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:39 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well now this could be better than the goose that lays the golden egg.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote