Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

The US and Canadian dollars are at par
Old 09-20-2007, 02:38 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The US and Canadian dollars are at par

The Associated Press: Canadian Dollar Reaches Parity With U.S.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2007, 02:45 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Oh no! Does this mean I'll have to give up my Moosehead and go back to drinking Lone Star?
Old 09-20-2007, 03:17 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Oh no! Does this mean I'll have to give up my Moosehead and go back to drinking Lone Star?
And worse...... the so-called "imported" Guinness we drink down here is actually made in Canada, not Ireland. I'll bet Liam down at the pub is thinking about raising prices already!

At fishing camp last summer near Red Lake, Ontario, the owner said he was already seeing an impact on business from the diminishing value of the dollar up there. It's moved additionally since then. Wonder what the total impact of this on USA tourism to Canada will be?

Of course, Canadian bux will be flowing like water down here. And that's what floating exchange rates are supposed to do I guess.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

We are going to be in Canada for three days. It will make things easy to figure out.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:21 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
We are going to be in Canada for three days. It will make things easy to figure out.
Depending on where we were in Canada, we sometimes had enterprising Canadian entrepreneurs try to charge us in US dollars for items priced in Canadian dollars, so you'd have to stay on your toes. Now..... no problem.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:04 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

And then there's the Euro......

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/20/bu...iaefPRL7LNIqTw
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:33 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

It sure makes it tough to invest if you live in Canada and have a lot of assets in the US.

YTD, I am up nearly 15% measured in $US, but about dead even in $CD.

Since my pensions are denominated in $US, every time the loonie rises, I get a pay cut. I try to compensate by skewing my investments away from the US market, and weighting natural resources heavily. It helps somewhat....
Old 09-20-2007, 04:51 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Meadbh,

Don't even talk about the Euro... I just bought a new computer for my mom who is retired in Europe, and while the price in Euros seemed fine (800 euros), the price in dollars after currency exchange and fees is giving me heartburn... (almost $1200).
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:29 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Thanks GWB for DESTROYING our currency for the benefit of big Business and the expense of our middle class............. Me!

Americans are 50% poorer since GWB came to office. DO THE MATH!

"We support a strong Dollar" they said... my @$$. Governments says what they want us rabble to hear and do what benefits their own pockets and retirement.

You would think we would learn. Nope, the majority of us are simply sheep that follow the leaders and suck it up with a smile.

At least in Canada and the UK you can chuck your useless governments out if they fail. Here we just encourage them, continue to fund them, and bleed profusely for up to 8 years. When will it end? When we have a $0.50c dollar?

If you calculate the difference in the price of the stock market and oil prices with relationship to the dollar value over the same period. We are no better off economically at all. You bet the price of oil is high. Double what it would be if we had a currency that was worth something. If I was selling oil I would want more or I would ask for payment in Euros.

There is a reason why the currency is getting greener, MILDEW....... vanquishing at the bottom of the chasm in the stream, holding on to a raft made out of porous palm tree wood imported from Iraq and Afghanistan. Not China, we get food and lead from them.

Off Soap box....

SWR
Old 09-20-2007, 05:55 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Thanks GWB for DESTROYING our currency for the benefit of big Business and the expense of our middle class............. Me!

December 1999 the Euro was almost on par with the USD .98 E to 1 $.

No offense Canucks... but now we are on par with the Canadian $. What's next, par with the Mexican peso?

How far have we fallen.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:03 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I am seeing a lot of vehicles lately in town with Ontario license plates. Good for business in northern Minnesota.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:39 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks GWB for DESTROYING our currency for the benefit of big Business and the expense of our middle class.............
Could it be an asset allocation problem? In the last seven years we've heavily tilted our ER portfolio to international investments and small-cap value stocks.

The ER portfolio has doubled since then. I don't think it's a coincidence.

As long as our portfolio keeps rising faster than our inflation, and as long as the vast majority of our expenses are in dollars, I don't see a problem.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:53 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

SWR:

Tell us what you really think

Your crediting for GWB's job creation strategy is misplaced. You can thank anyone who bought a foreign anything car/big screen TV/clothing/toys or the oil to use and prioduce those things for the dollar situation. Perhaps even you have some influence here.

Stay tuned cause things will likely get worse.

Also a longer term perspective on the dolar exchange just might be enlightening for you.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:07 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

In part, thank Uncle Ben's Bailout. You ain't seen nothin' yet.

One problem is that there are some goods that are only made overseas. One cannot purchase American made products of some types.

It's called inflation kids and it's great for debtors and real bad for savers. It is also something the gvmt wants to promote called monetizing the debt. Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do.
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:21 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh, and least Barbarus forgets, a little, light, evening bedtime reading.

Bloomberg.com: Europe
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:53 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarus View Post
In part, thank Uncle Ben's Bailout. You ain't seen nothin' yet.

One problem is that there are some goods that are only made overseas. One cannot purchase American made products of some types.

It's called inflation kids and it's great for debtors and real bad for savers. It is also something the gvmt wants to promote called monetizing the debt. Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do.
Well said. Inflation is already here...its just not reflected strongly in the "core" rate yet. Whenever I hear inflation is contained, with oil at $80+ per barrel, gold over $740, milk at $4.00/gal, wheat at an all-time high - I just laugh. Whats excluded from the "core", uhh...just the "volatile food and energy". Only the basics of life.

Uncle Ben's 1/2 point cut sent the market spiraling upwards. Its temporary. But it did send the $ falling further, and any additional cuts will just worsen the dollars decline. This is why the FED is really in a box. Prices are already at very elevated levels, and a falling dollar is in and of itself an inflationary factor since we import 6% of GDP more than we export. This is before any anti-dollar actions by foreign central banks. How long do the Chinese and Japanese hold dollar assets that day after day, week after week keep going down?

I believe a recession is imminent. The choice before the FED is simple - choose which type of recession. Inflationary, or deflationary. If they continue to cut rates, the dollar plummets (especially if the Asians start selling dollars, oil is repriced in Euros, or there is just a widespread run on the dollar), prices skyrocket, and we return to the '70s stagflation days.

Or the FED decides that inflation can't get out of control, which they can only control by raising interest rates - significantly. Deflation follows as consumer spending dries up - as seen in Japan 1990-2007. Or US 1929-1941. Remember that the dollar was at 20+ some odd year lows before the cut. This is what Greenspan talked about the last couple of days. He said something on the order of a 8+% yield on LT govt bonds...

How to invest now? I don't know. But I do believe this - the FED and we investors are in the box. No easy answers. But if the FED continues to cut rates as the economy worsens, then I'm moving to a TIPS dominated portfolio and sitting on the sidelines for awhile. If no more cuts are coming, then a bond denominated portfolio. And a good chunk of money in an absolute return fund relying on a manager who (hopefully!) knows a hell of a lot more than I do.

And anyone who stays heavily invested in equities with this storm headed our way, well, don't start crying when the market retracts 25-50%.

Its time to pay for the long running excesses and imbalances in our system. One way, or the other.
cyclone6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:59 PM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post

No offense Canucks... but now we are on par with the Canadian $. What's next, par with the Mexican peso?
No offense taken. It's not the first time I remember that the green back was monopoly money. Can you make it recover? That's what matters
Old 09-20-2007, 08:27 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cyclone,

Quote:
This is why the FED is really in a box.
I completely agree with you on that. The FED has backed itself into a corner and whatever it decides to do, it's gonna hurt.

Quote:
How to invest now?
If you think the dollar is about to tank severely, then you should invest in a global bond fund (unhedged). The global bond fund I invest in is directly taking advantage of the fall in the dollar by investing in bonds denominated in foreign currencies that are likely to appreciate as the dollar falls, but also in gold stocks to take advantage of rising gold prices as the dollar weakens.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:38 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh happy day!! I genuinely feel badly for any of you folks out there striving to become FI/RE with U.S. dollars. Inflation is hurting you despite your best efforts to save, but since these are obviously circumstances beyond my control, I can't help but be a bit excited about some opportunities and changes that may present themselves to Canadians.

We Canucks have been the poor country cousins for a long time. Our dollars haven't been at par since 1976. Now I can afford to travel south, our sports teams (hockey) won't have to re-locate to the southern states because players are paid in U.S. dollars, and many items should become less expensive here. Also, if the Fed's recent rate cut doesn't stop the housing price declines in the States, well, it's building up to be the perfect storm which may allow myself and lots of soon to retire Canadian boomers to pick up a bit of discount real estate someplace where I'll never be able to build a snowman in my front yard.
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:04 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
Oh happy day!! I genuinely feel badly for any of you folks out there striving to become FI/RE with U.S. dollars. Inflation is hurting you despite your best efforts to save, but since these are obviously circumstances beyond my control, I can't help but be a bit excited about some opportunities and changes that may present themselves to Canadians.
Well, at least somebody on our continent gets to enjoy it.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote