Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 01:30 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting question is whether one should reduce tax-deferred assets by estimated taxes.

Depending on the rate and structure I could stomach a wealth tax if income taxes went away, but since this is associated with a Harvard professor I suppose that the wealth tax would be in addition to an income tax. If that is the case then no thank you - I already paid (substantially) each year as I built my wealth.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2014, 01:44 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Anyway, when my NW is divided by 2, my ranking drops. Still, two together can live better than one with 1/2 NW, as many expenses are shared.
Just for kicks, I ran the numbers for a household of 2, and 3. There are three people in my house, but the other two are just roommates and not wives, so no jointly held assets or debt, so I figure they don't count into the equation.

But, for a household of 2, my rank only drops from 96% to 92%. And even for 3, it only drops to 89%.

I wonder though, if I should count them, because there is still some benefit. The rental income is one reason I've amassed as much as I have. They also help out with utilities and groceries, so overall it does reduce my living expenses?
Old 01-15-2014, 01:46 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon-nyc View Post
I was under the impression that the 1% threshold was more like $5MM.
I think you're right, the 1%-ers are the Barron's Penta crowd.

But maybe it's because this is household percentile and the typical household is two individuals? As a rough estimate 10% of households are above the 1M USD threshold, and it's one tenth of the previous level for each 5.5x in net worth. This upper tail power law works out to roughly a half-population per Golden Ratio (1.62x) in net worth. Another way of looking at it, the median household above a threshold X is the Golden Ratio times X.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:48 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
Just for kicks, I ran the numbers for a household of 2, and 3. There are three people in my house, but the other two are just roommates and not wives...
Wives? Would that be legal where you live?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-15-2014, 01:55 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Interesting question is whether one should reduce tax-deferred assets by estimated taxes.
Yeah -- I guessed X and got X+4, but nearly 3/4 of that is tied up in 401K and TIRA investments which will be taxed when withdrawn. If I reduced their value by (say) 25%, it goes from X+4 to X+2.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 01-15-2014, 02:13 PM   #26

The Wall Street Journal had an income-based "Rich-O-Meter"

You can see it here:

The Wall Street Journal - WSJ.com

To be in the "1%" You need an income of $507k per year.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:19 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Uh Oh! Just a quick search on the Web found the following headlines.
"Men are more likely to fib than women, telling on average three lies a day.
Each year this amounts to 1,092 lies as opposed to women who were found to lie 728 times over 12 months."
and
Science Proves it: Men Lie More Than Women - CBS News
How did they count these lies so accurately? And are the researchers men or women?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-15-2014, 02:56 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

phhhhhht, it showed me nothing readable when I hit the "calculate" button. Just a blank area in the screen.

This was fun hahahaha
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
Old 01-15-2014, 03:03 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkelblau View Post
I think you're right, the 1%-ers are the Barron's Penta crowd.

But maybe it's because this is household percentile and the typical household is two individuals? As a rough estimate 10% of households are above the 1M USD threshold, and it's one tenth of the previous level for each 5.5x in net worth. This upper tail power law works out to roughly a half-population per Golden Ratio (1.62x) in net worth. Another way of looking at it, the median household above a threshold X is the Golden Ratio times X.
Huh !?!
Old 01-15-2014, 03:35 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I x-d out the second I saw "how would you tax wealth?".

Another Harvard bow-tie weenie who makes $500K a year who (my guess) won't check the box to be taxed at the optional higher Mass income tax rate himself but wants everyone else to do so.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:40 PM   #31

Wealth tax

I knew it was coming once I accumulated some...
Old 01-15-2014, 04:06 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Moreover, all fibs are not created equal! We must have a ranking scale for lying, based on the scope of the fib. For example: 1 point for saying someone looks fine, when actually they look terrible; 5 points for saying you need to work late at the office Saturday night; and 10 points for whoppers told by politicians

Amethyst

Quote:
Each year this amounts to 1,092 lies as opposed to women who were found to lie 728 times over 12 months."
and
How did they count these lies so accurately? And are the researchers men or women?
Old 01-15-2014, 11:52 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
and
I made the above post in the thread "Give your money to a woman".

How does it end up being here?

Old 01-16-2014, 12:04 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Sounds like a scam to encourage taxing of WEALTH! I'm in top 7% but only because I LBYM my entire life and I'll be damned if they try to tax my life saving!

Time to spend it on Hooker and blow if they start taxing wealth.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:36 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Depending on the rate and structure I could stomach a wealth tax if income taxes went away...
I completely agree. Taxing the same money twice just because you keep it around just doesn't float well with me.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicbookgujy View Post
Time to spend it on Hookers and or blow if they start taxing wealth.
FIFY...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 01-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #37

Its really quite simple to figure out. You just have to think like a bank robber politician... That's where the money is!
Old 01-16-2014, 11:25 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicbookgujy View Post
Sounds like a scam to encourage taxing of WEALTH! I'm in top 7% but only because I LBYM my entire life and I'll be damned if they try to tax my life saving!

Time to spend it on Hooker and blow if they start taxing wealth.
"I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women...the other half I wasted" W C Fields.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:34 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Depending on the rate and structure I could stomach a wealth tax if income taxes went away, but since this is associated with a Harvard professor I suppose that the wealth tax would be in addition to an income tax. If that is the case then no thank you - I already paid (substantially) each year as I built my wealth.
The idea would be to tax you on what you earn and then tax you on the earnings you didn't spend.

I'd assume the plan would then be to hand it to those who didn't earn anything and who spent more than you did.

Y'know, income inequality and all that.

Take heart: There's always a work-around!
Old 01-16-2014, 12:05 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

A net worth of 0 puts you at 13%! Twenty five thousand and you're in the top half. So, it speaks more to the unbridled spending by the majority of Americans. Another flaw is that taxing the wealthy will do absolutely nothing to increase the net worth of those at the bottom.
Closed Thread