Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-13-2017, 04:47 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
They watch, and they draw the funniest conclusions.

I wear an extra-wide shoe width (EE) and have to order my shoes online, since no stores carry that size.

The Watchers evidently concluded that if my feet are wide, the rest of me must be wide, too. So I am bombarded - on FB and in the mail - with ads for plus-sized clothing.
Hahahahah
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2017, 04:49 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
And some people will eagerly line up to buy the new IPhone with facial recognition software...as if knowing your browsing and purchasing preferences isn't enough, they will be voluntarily providing a picture of their face that will end up in who knows how many data bases.
NM!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:53 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was on more than my share of stake outs and sat in on many hours of eavesdropping. I had to get sworn in as a deputy US Marshall because it was a federal warrant. Mostly boring down time telling stories, but trust me they are listening when they want to, and they can see and hear you very well.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:37 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
And some people will eagerly line up to buy the new IPhone with facial recognition software...as if knowing your browsing and purchasing preferences isn't enough, they will be voluntarily providing a picture of their face that will end up in who knows how many data bases.

I feel decently confident apple will protect your privacy. That's partly why they cost so much - don't make a profit selling your marketing info. Whoever trusts google (marketing company) to make a phone to store your personal info.... that blows my mind.

Both apple and google have pushed back against government requests but Facebook is pure sleaze.
pj.mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:43 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife and I went to a restaurant Saturday night that we sometimes frequent. When we were seated I noticed my phone had a message. It was the Trip Advisor app asking if I wanted to rate the restaurant!?
Livefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:29 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

You may have allowed the app to use your current location, so that's how it tracked you. I never allow that, except for goo*** maps. You can set this property on an iPhone under the Settings -> Privacy tab. It's funny sometimes my VPN spoofs mylocation as being somewhere else (far away) which really confounds searches!
Bruceski44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:50 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.mask View Post
I feel decently confident apple will protect your privacy. That's partly why they cost so much - don't make a profit selling your marketing info. Whoever trusts google (marketing company) to make a phone to store your personal info.... that blows my mind.

Both apple and google have pushed back against government requests but Facebook is pure sleaze.
Apple may have good intentions, but no one is immune to a hack.

Google, Facebook, and Twitter all engage in disgusting practices.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:51 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

"Every breath you take
Every move you make
Every bond you break
Every step you take
I'll be watching you

Every single day
Every word you say
Every game you play
Every night you stay
I'll be watching you..."

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:37 PM   #29
gone traveling

Precisely why.... when I get a knock on the front door I don't answer it
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
fooled
Old 09-13-2017, 10:27 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

fooled

and I thought I had them fooled... wow... to bad... Hello to all...
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:04 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Huh? I think this already happened from all those selfies eagerly posted everywhere.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:06 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livefree View Post
My wife and I went to a restaurant Saturday night that we sometimes frequent. When we were seated I noticed my phone had a message. It was the Trip Advisor app asking if I wanted to rate the restaurant!?
Yeah - Trip Advisor is super annoying. Don't let it know where you are.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:07 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

It is called cookies. You can go into your device and wipe out all cookies anytime you like to stop such messages.
It really doesn't mean any person is watching you.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:15 AM   #34
Gone but not forgotten

Never did anything wrong
Have no money

Ergo - No worries
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:22 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livefree View Post
I always have Location turned off unless I need it for an app that can't work without knowing my location (e.g., where is the nearest Starbucks?). I do occasionally post on FB and tag my location. Now FB immediately asks me how I'd rate the place- not just hotels or restaurants but places such as the blood bank. NO, thanks- they get enough "user-generated content" from me.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote