Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
They are watching you
Old 09-13-2017, 12:53 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
donheff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 8,600
They are watching you

All the identity theft threads are making me a bit paranoid but they really are watching you. Today the lower washer arm on my dishwasher broke off so I started Googling (on Chrome) to get a replacement part. The first query was something that included Whirlpool Gold Series Dishwasher replacement parts or something similar. Eventually I got to sites where I could enter my model number, order the part, view Youtube R&R videos. Got my part ordered and I am good to go.

An hour later I am skimming through my four email accounts and in Outlook Mail I see a tailored ad for a Whirlpool Gold Series dishwasher. So it appears that somehow MS got my Google via Chrome search data or picked up cookie info from some of the sites I visited through some sort of data broker service. One way or another they knew it was me.

Wait a second, is that a black helicopter outside?
__________________

__________________
Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2017, 01:04 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.
GravitySucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Syracuse
Posts: 971
One that got to me was went to a brewpub for a birthday party and being an old f@rt was complaining to someone about the noise and pointed out the bad placement of the acoustical tiles. At breakfast the next morning the gentleman I was discussing this with opened Facebook and there was an Amazon ad for acoustical tiles. Is his phone listening to us?
Don't worry about the black helicopters, it's the stealth drones you gotta watch out for.
__________________

__________________
“No, not rich. I am a poor man with money, which is not the same thing"
GravitySucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:05 PM   #3
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,630
What annoys me as much as anything, is that all the ads are for whatever I just bought on Amazon. Who wants two of everything? Not me.

I might actually buy something if the ads were for something I don't have. But no. I suppose that in a sense, the ads are encouraging LBYM.

BTW, we hear numerous low flying helicopters flying very low over our houses every single night, and this has been the case ever since Katrina in 2005. F can recognize the type of helicopter by its sound because he spent decades engineering them. He says these are mostly military or law enforcement helicopters. I am used to them and they don't bother me. But sometimes I wonder if I should be bothered even though I'm not.

No drones on our block, other than the ones he flies AFAIK.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:10 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Following the nice weather
Posts: 6,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
What annoys me as much as anything, is that all the ads are for whatever I just bought on Amazon. Who wants two of everything? Not me.

I might actually buy something if the ads were for something I don't have. But no. I suppose that in a sense, the ads are encouraging LBYM.
The fact that they show you ads for items you just bought is actually a bit encouraging. It implies that they don't actually know that you bought it. So far they are only tracking your browsing history and not your credit card transactions. I'm sure they'll figure that out soon and will only target you for accessories for the thing you just bought.
__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers, or maybe Sam Clemens
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:13 PM   #5
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
The fact that they show you ads for items you just bought is actually a bit encouraging. It implies that they don't actually know that you bought it. So far they are only tracking your browsing history and not your credit card transactions. I'm sure they'll figure that out soon and will only target you for accessories for the thing you just bought.
Hey, good point! I hadn't thought of that.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:22 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Midpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 11,915
Anything Google is one of the worst (and maybe best) of the big names, but they're all data mining in some fashion - that's why so much content is "free," It's how deep they dig and what they do with your personal info that varies. I'm more irritated with Equifax than any others at the moment. YMMV
__________________
No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:26 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,838
I applied for a USAA credit card for my mother. They swore they dont share any info. Mom got the card with a Beautiful Navy Warship background, she qualified as they researched my widowed mother from the info I gave them and saw my father was a WW2 combat Navy man. I offered to send his paperwork showing the campaigns he was involved with. They said no need they verified all the info.

About 4 days later we get for my mom applications for Discover Card, Master card, Visa. What gives? Nothing is secret anymore.
__________________
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:41 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 75
That doesn't mean USAA shared any info. Those other cards likely picked up on the USAA credit inquiry on your Mom's account. Credit records, by definition, are public, or at least access can be bought.
__________________
Bruceski44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:59 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Sunset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,584
They are watching you via the camera on your tablet/phone/computer/home surveillance system.

Fellow at work laughed at me as I taped over the computer monitor camera.
Then it came out the NSA does.

You can go to web sites and see inside folks homes......
__________________
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:02 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceski44 View Post
That doesn't mean USAA shared any info. Those other cards likely picked up on the USAA credit inquiry on your Mom's account. Credit records, by definition, are public, or at least access can be bought.
Ahh, I feel better, thank you
__________________
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:39 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.
GravitySucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Syracuse
Posts: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
They are watching you via the camera on your tablet/phone/computer/home surveillance system.

Fellow at work laughed at me as I taped over the computer monitor camera.
Then it came out the NSA does.

You can go to web sites and see inside folks homes......


It was rumored that our corporate owned laptops had the ability to turn on the cameras by security at the request of managers.
Remember the school district that turned on laptop cameras? If they own it, they can do what they want. If it can be abused someone will.
__________________
“No, not rich. I am a poor man with money, which is not the same thing"
GravitySucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:48 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
All the identity theft threads are making me a bit paranoid but they really are watching you. Today the lower washer arm on my dishwasher broke off so I started Googling (on Chrome) to get a replacement part. The first query was something that included Whirlpool Gold Series Dishwasher replacement parts or something similar. Eventually I got to sites where I could enter my model number, order the part, view Youtube R&R videos. Got my part ordered and I am good to go.

An hour later I am skimming through my four email accounts and in Outlook Mail I see a tailored ad for a Whirlpool Gold Series dishwasher. So it appears that somehow MS got my Google via Chrome search data or picked up cookie info from some of the sites I visited through some sort of data broker service. One way or another they knew it was me.

Wait a second, is that a black helicopter outside?
Here in America we call that Freedom! Private property rights. And Entrepreneurship!
__________________
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:52 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 190
Hope no one is reading ER while at work, or writing any personal e-mails or anything.

What, you think your Megacorp doesn't track what you are doing?
__________________
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:10 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by googily View Post
Hope no one is reading ER while at work, or writing any personal e-mails or anything.

What, you think your Megacorp doesn't track what you are doing?
If I knew they were looking , I would moon the screen.
__________________
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:34 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post

Wait a second, is that a black helicopter outside?
About 15 years ago I received a frantic phone call from DW. There was a black helicopter 100 yards out the front window!

Apparently they were practicing around our rural home and one took off down into the ravine in front of our property. When he popped up, he was right in front of the house! DW was not happy, something about big freaking guns! I suggested she call the sheriff's office and ask if they could contact whomever and ask to remind them there was a house back there. Never had a repeat.
__________________
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:13 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
One that got to me was went to a brewpub for a birthday party and being an old f@rt was complaining to someone about the noise and pointed out the bad placement of the acoustical tiles. At breakfast the next morning the gentleman I was discussing this with opened Facebook and there was an Amazon ad for acoustical tiles. Is his phone listening to us?
Don't worry about the black helicopters, it's the stealth drones you gotta watch out for.


Actually did read an article some time ago about Facebook doing just that; recording audio of conversations for data mining/advertising. Things like this are why I am not a member.
__________________
pj.mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:18 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
It was rumored that our corporate owned laptops had the ability to turn on the cameras by security at the request of managers.
Post 9/11 MegaCorp installed a scan-the-pass rotating door system to be able to track who was in the building at any given time. They emphasized it was for the safety and benefit of the employees, and that the records would not be used to track attendance, but could be used if there were complaints or questions down the road.

6 weeks later I saw the report for how many hours each employee was scanned in each week for the previous month...

I always kept a sticker over the laptop camera...
__________________
Clone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:31 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Amethyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,804
They watch, and they draw the funniest conclusions.

I wear an extra-wide shoe width (EE) and have to order my shoes online, since no stores carry that size.

The Watchers evidently concluded that if my feet are wide, the rest of me must be wide, too. So I am bombarded - on FB and in the mail - with ads for plus-sized clothing.
__________________
If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success – to be able to spend your life in your own way.’ Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:37 PM   #19
Administrator
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
What annoys me as much as anything, is that all the ads are for whatever I just bought on Amazon. Who wants two of everything? Not me.

I might actually buy something if the ads were for something I don't have. But no. I suppose that in a sense, the ads are encouraging LBYM.

BTW, we hear numerous low flying helicopters flying very low over our houses every single night, and this has been the case ever since Katrina in 2005. F can recognize the type of helicopter by its sound because he spent decades engineering them. He says these are mostly military or law enforcement helicopters. I am used to them and they don't bother me. But sometimes I wonder if I should be bothered even though I'm not.

No drones on our block, other than the ones he flies AFAIK.
We hear helicopters all the time, too. But since we live 3 miles from the helicopter factory, I suppose that is no surprise.
__________________
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:38 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,246
And some people will eagerly line up to buy the new IPhone with facial recognition software...as if knowing your browsing and purchasing preferences isn't enough, they will be voluntarily providing a picture of their face that will end up in who knows how many data bases.
__________________

__________________
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
They just don't make Flight Attendants like they use to! Rustic23 Other topics 4 09-10-2009 11:22 AM
If they can put a man on the moon why can't they...... BOBOT Other topics 67 08-05-2008 08:27 AM
They're Watching and Listening John Tuttle Other topics 4 04-09-2007 07:49 PM
They should be careful what they wish for.. Brat Other topics 2 01-01-2006 03:24 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:19 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.