Join Early Retirement Today

They are watching you
Old 09-13-2017, 11:53 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

They are watching you

All the identity theft threads are making me a bit paranoid but they really are watching you. Today the lower washer arm on my dishwasher broke off so I started Googling (on Chrome) to get a replacement part. The first query was something that included Whirlpool Gold Series Dishwasher replacement parts or something similar. Eventually I got to sites where I could enter my model number, order the part, view Youtube R&R videos. Got my part ordered and I am good to go.

An hour later I am skimming through my four email accounts and in Outlook Mail I see a tailored ad for a Whirlpool Gold Series dishwasher. So it appears that somehow MS got my Google via Chrome search data or picked up cookie info from some of the sites I visited through some sort of data broker service. One way or another they knew it was me.

Wait a second, is that a black helicopter outside?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2017, 12:04 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One that got to me was went to a brewpub for a birthday party and being an old f@rt was complaining to someone about the noise and pointed out the bad placement of the acoustical tiles. At breakfast the next morning the gentleman I was discussing this with opened Facebook and there was an Amazon ad for acoustical tiles. Is his phone listening to us?
Don't worry about the black helicopters, it's the stealth drones you gotta watch out for.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:05 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

What annoys me as much as anything, is that all the ads are for whatever I just bought on Amazon. Who wants two of everything? Not me.

I might actually buy something if the ads were for something I don't have. But no. I suppose that in a sense, the ads are encouraging LBYM.

BTW, we hear numerous low flying helicopters flying very low over our houses every single night, and this has been the case ever since Katrina in 2005. F can recognize the type of helicopter by its sound because he spent decades engineering them. He says these are mostly military or law enforcement helicopters. I am used to them and they don't bother me. But sometimes I wonder if I should be bothered even though I'm not.

No drones on our block, other than the ones he flies AFAIK.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:10 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
What annoys me as much as anything, is that all the ads are for whatever I just bought on Amazon. Who wants two of everything? Not me.

I might actually buy something if the ads were for something I don't have. But no. I suppose that in a sense, the ads are encouraging LBYM.
The fact that they show you ads for items you just bought is actually a bit encouraging. It implies that they don't actually know that you bought it. So far they are only tracking your browsing history and not your credit card transactions. I'm sure they'll figure that out soon and will only target you for accessories for the thing you just bought.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:13 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
The fact that they show you ads for items you just bought is actually a bit encouraging. It implies that they don't actually know that you bought it. So far they are only tracking your browsing history and not your credit card transactions. I'm sure they'll figure that out soon and will only target you for accessories for the thing you just bought.
Hey, good point! I hadn't thought of that.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:22 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Anything Google is one of the worst (and maybe best) of the big names, but they're all data mining in some fashion - that's why so much content is "free," It's how deep they dig and what they do with your personal info that varies. I'm more irritated with Equifax than any others at the moment. YMMV

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:26 PM   #7

I applied for a USAA credit card for my mother. They swore they dont share any info. Mom got the card with a Beautiful Navy Warship background, she qualified as they researched my widowed mother from the info I gave them and saw my father was a WW2 combat Navy man. I offered to send his paperwork showing the campaigns he was involved with. They said no need they verified all the info.

About 4 days later we get for my mom applications for Discover Card, Master card, Visa. What gives? Nothing is secret anymore.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:41 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

That doesn't mean USAA shared any info. Those other cards likely picked up on the USAA credit inquiry on your Mom's account. Credit records, by definition, are public, or at least access can be bought.
Bruceski44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:59 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
They are watching you via the camera on your tablet/phone/computer/home surveillance system.

Fellow at work laughed at me as I taped over the computer monitor camera.
Then it came out the NSA does.

You can go to web sites and see inside folks homes......
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceski44 View Post
That doesn't mean USAA shared any info. Those other cards likely picked up on the USAA credit inquiry on your Mom's account. Credit records, by definition, are public, or at least access can be bought.
Ahh, I feel better, thank you
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 09-13-2017, 01:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
They are watching you via the camera on your tablet/phone/computer/home surveillance system.

Fellow at work laughed at me as I taped over the computer monitor camera.
Then it came out the NSA does.

You can go to web sites and see inside folks homes......

It was rumored that our corporate owned laptops had the ability to turn on the cameras by security at the request of managers.
Remember the school district that turned on laptop cameras? If they own it, they can do what they want. If it can be abused someone will.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
All the identity theft threads are making me a bit paranoid but they really are watching you. Today the lower washer arm on my dishwasher broke off so I started Googling (on Chrome) to get a replacement part. The first query was something that included Whirlpool Gold Series Dishwasher replacement parts or something similar. Eventually I got to sites where I could enter my model number, order the part, view Youtube R&R videos. Got my part ordered and I am good to go.

An hour later I am skimming through my four email accounts and in Outlook Mail I see a tailored ad for a Whirlpool Gold Series dishwasher. So it appears that somehow MS got my Google via Chrome search data or picked up cookie info from some of the sites I visited through some sort of data broker service. One way or another they knew it was me.

Here in America we call that Freedom! Private property rights. And Entrepreneurship!
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:52 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hope no one is reading ER while at work, or writing any personal e-mails or anything.

What, you think your Megacorp doesn't track what you are doing?
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by googily View Post
Hope no one is reading ER while at work, or writing any personal e-mails or anything.

What, you think your Megacorp doesn't track what you are doing?
If I knew they were looking , I would moon the screen.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:34 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post

About 15 years ago I received a frantic phone call from DW. There was a black helicopter 100 yards out the front window!

Apparently they were practicing around our rural home and one took off down into the ravine in front of our property. When he popped up, he was right in front of the house! DW was not happy, something about big freaking guns! I suggested she call the sheriff's office and ask if they could contact whomever and ask to remind them there was a house back there. Never had a repeat.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
One that got to me was went to a brewpub for a birthday party and being an old f@rt was complaining to someone about the noise and pointed out the bad placement of the acoustical tiles. At breakfast the next morning the gentleman I was discussing this with opened Facebook and there was an Amazon ad for acoustical tiles. Is his phone listening to us?
Don't worry about the black helicopters, it's the stealth drones you gotta watch out for.

Actually did read an article some time ago about Facebook doing just that; recording audio of conversations for data mining/advertising. Things like this are why I am not a member.
pj.mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
It was rumored that our corporate owned laptops had the ability to turn on the cameras by security at the request of managers.
Post 9/11 MegaCorp installed a scan-the-pass rotating door system to be able to track who was in the building at any given time. They emphasized it was for the safety and benefit of the employees, and that the records would not be used to track attendance, but could be used if there were complaints or questions down the road.

6 weeks later I saw the report for how many hours each employee was scanned in each week for the previous month...

I always kept a sticker over the laptop camera...
Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:31 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

They watch, and they draw the funniest conclusions.

I wear an extra-wide shoe width (EE) and have to order my shoes online, since no stores carry that size.

The Watchers evidently concluded that if my feet are wide, the rest of me must be wide, too. So I am bombarded - on FB and in the mail - with ads for plus-sized clothing.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:37 PM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

BTW, we hear numerous low flying helicopters flying very low over our houses every single night, and this has been the case ever since Katrina in 2005. F can recognize the type of helicopter by its sound because he spent decades engineering them. He says these are mostly military or law enforcement helicopters. I am used to them and they don't bother me. But sometimes I wonder if I should be bothered even though I'm not.

No drones on our block, other than the ones he flies AFAIK.
We hear helicopters all the time, too. But since we live 3 miles from the helicopter factory, I suppose that is no surprise.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:38 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

And some people will eagerly line up to buy the new IPhone with facial recognition software...as if knowing your browsing and purchasing preferences isn't enough, they will be voluntarily providing a picture of their face that will end up in who knows how many data bases.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote