Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-06-2015, 12:24 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Don't worry. If there is one thing that brings out the dogpack it is failing to follow our instructions re: working/not working. we have a lot invested in the rightness of early retirement.
Exxxactly!

We are with you, EWG! Let us know how it turns out.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2015, 12:47 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Listen to your stomach.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:03 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The key to winning any race is taking the first step.

Your post today convinced me you will do what's best for YOU.

Let us know how it all went. Rooting for ya !

I can relate to the physical stress reaction...prior to giving my 6 week notice to leaving a GS-13 govt job, I always felt like I was going to the dentist to have 10 teeth drilled, without Novacain, every time I slid my ID card in the entry door to w*rk.

My apologies to any dentists on the forum.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:21 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_Cameron View Post
Listen to your stomach.
Excellent advice. If I had only taken this to heart years ago it would have spared me from making several bad decisions.

Better late than never, in my case. I now consult my "gut" before making any major change, and it has never once let me down.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:50 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Don't worry. If there is one thing that brings out the dogpack it is failing to follow our instructions re: working/not working. we have a lot invested in the rightness of early retirement.

I don't thing that is true in this case. I was genuinely shocked at level of pay EWG was getting. She seems like one of those giver personalities, almost the opposite of the INTJs on this forum. Money isn't everything, and I have to believe that being a pediatrician would often be an emotionally satisfying job. Still it is hard to believe that she wasn't being exploited at some level.

The working environment in the temporary gig was by her own account far worse than her regular job. At the urging of the forum she asked for a got a sizable raise although hardly an exorbitant salary.

I don't care if she works until she is 75, and if she loves her job why not.
I do hate to see good people exploited. I am neither a woman nor a physician, if I was either one of those I could easily feel personally offended.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:57 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

I respect your opinions, on any subject. Nevertheless, it is hard for me to think that any of us could possibly know more about OP's motivational structure and best course of action than she does.

Also, I do think that some here are a little too enamored of their own advice, no matter how little they may know about the particulars.

Ha
Old 01-06-2015, 05:19 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I respect your opinions, on any subject. Nevertheless, it is hard for me to think that any of us could possibly know more about OP's motivational structure and best course of action than she does.

Also, I do think that some here are a little too enamored of their own advice, no matter how little they may know about the particulars.

Ha
As always, advice on a forum is worth what you pay for it. I am confident that EWG will make the decision that is right for her.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:46 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
............Also, I do think that some here are a little too enamored of their own advice, no matter how little they may know about the particulars. Ha
Except of course, you and me.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:28 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Except of course, you and me.
Indeed!
Old 01-06-2015, 06:29 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Ha, I presume you are referring to me.
No, I was not referring to you. When I said some people, I only mean an unspecified set less than the whole thread.

Pretty much everyone seemed happy about their advice.

Overall, I think it is hard to realize how little we know about any particular situation that we are only reading about on the internet, and about all the nuances of meaning and motivations involved.

"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of... We know the truth not only by the reason, but by the heart." - Blaise Pascal”

Ha
Old 01-06-2015, 06:55 PM   #71
Full time employment: Posting here.

Honestly I enjoy burning bridges. This sounds like it would be a glorious blaze. I'd take a pack of matches, sit back, and enjoy the show. This isn't your problem, don't let him try to make it yours. "Not my circus, not my monkeys".
Old 01-06-2015, 07:19 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
No, I was not referring to you. When I said some people, I only mean an unspecified set less than the whole thread.

Pretty much everyone seemed happy about their advice.

Overall, I think it is hard to realize how little we know about any particular situation that we are only reading about on the internet, and about all the nuances of meaning and motivations involved.

"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of... We know the truth not only by the reason, but by the heart." - Blaise Pascal”

Ha
The OP did ask "what do you think?" at the end of her post. Because I don't try to read between the lines, I figured she wanted to know, um, what we thought.

ETA Whatever we wrote in this thread, I am pretty sure we all hope she makes a decision that makes her happy.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:26 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
The OP did ask "what do you think?" at the end of her post. Because I don't try to read between the lines, I figured she wanted to know, um, what we thought.
Sure, and as far as I know, no one criticized your response, What I find interesting was how some-only some- people reacted to her plan of going to some meeting or other. Hello people, she can read, she knows what you think already!

Anyway, I am not a mod, I can't ban any of you!
Old 01-06-2015, 07:32 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLD3C View Post
As a physician who retired from a toxic situation, I remember my concern for the staff and patients left behind.
Sadly you can not fix your old practice with a meeting nor can you transform an inept physician into a diligent one with a single intervention.
+1

Agree with the sentiments of posters. Why would you want to work with someone 'who is a lawsuit waiting to happen'. I can't think of anything that would put a damper on retirement more than being involved in a lawsuit because one's name happened to be on the chart from a day one was covering. I think we all know that if someone thinks they are God's gift and the general perception is that this is a delusional belief, that there is no happy ending in taking the matter up with the individual. Bridges are not burned, the piers are dynamited right down to the bedrock and some of these people subsequently go out of their way to make life difficult for others. If you still want to be involved in patient care then find another place or just wait and chances are the middle management of your group will be gone faster without you shoring it up and you can go back to something better. You may be doing your friends a disservice by helping out at this time.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:40 PM   #75

No one went over the top and I've enjoyed all of the posts. The regional guy showed up very late due to flight delays due all the white stuff coming down today.

So he wanted us to let him have it, so he said. What creeped me out was the medical director keeps texting me asking me to do more work. I said no.

The other creepy thing is that they may have cancelled my health insurance a month early. I've made 4 calls to corporate and they haven't returned one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-06-2015, 07:45 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Good girl.

After I left a university post, they decided that they had overpaid me and asked me to pay back a couple of weeks' pay. Employers will always nickel and dime you, no matter how generous you have been with your time and effort over the years.

Welcome to ER!
Old 01-06-2015, 07:58 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Where I worked if one was on payroll as of the first of the month then you had health insurance for that month. IIRC Jan 1 was you last day so I would think you would be covered through Jan 31 and any employee contribution would come out of your last paycheck.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:58 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Wooo hooo

Congratulations on your decision.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:41 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

You made the right decision. Now the fight for health insurance and getting on a new plan. Do you get COBRA if needed for a month?

I submitted my semi-retirement email to my healthcare 'manager' yesterday. They will ask me to work more than 1 day a week and at more than 1 site. I will politely say no and stick to my guns over and over again.

Fear of the unknown can be overcome and transformed into love of your free time.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-06-2015, 09:48 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Where I worked if one was on payroll as of the first of the month then you had health insurance for that month. IIRC Jan 1 was you last day so I would think you would be covered through Jan 31 and any employee contribution would come out of your last paycheck.
That's the way my former employer handled it... until they changed the policy less than a year before I retired... My health insurance was terminated at midnight following my last day.

I think corporations are getting more penny wise - and why would they care if they piss off ex employees.