They won't let me go!!

Good girl.

After I left a university post, they decided that they had overpaid me and asked me to pay back a couple of weeks' pay. Employers will always nickel and dime you, no matter how generous you have been with your time and effort over the years.

Welcome to ER!

Where I worked if one was on payroll as of the first of the month then you had health insurance for that month. IIRC Jan 1 was you last day so I would think you would be covered through Jan 31 and any employee contribution would come out of your last paycheck.

You made the right decision. Now the fight for health insurance and getting on a new plan. Do you get COBRA if needed for a month?

I submitted my semi-retirement email to my healthcare 'manager' yesterday. They will ask me to work more than 1 day a week and at more than 1 site. I will politely say no and stick to my guns over and over again.

Fear of the unknown can be overcome and transformed into love of your free time.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Where I worked if one was on payroll as of the first of the month then you had health insurance for that month. IIRC Jan 1 was you last day so I would think you would be covered through Jan 31 and any employee contribution would come out of your last paycheck.

That's the way my former employer handled it... until they changed the policy less than a year before I retired... My health insurance was terminated at midnight following my last day.

I think corporations are getting more penny wise - and why would they care if they piss off ex employees.

Congratulations EastWest Gal. Relax decompress you've earned it.:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Good girl.

After I left a university post, they decided that they had overpaid me and asked me to pay back a couple of weeks' pay. Employers will always nickel and dime you, no matter how generous you have been with your time and effort over the years.

Welcome to ER!
Not necessarily. When I retired, I picked the first day of the month as my last day. It was a Friday and I wanted to buy my many work friends a beer. A lady from HR told me "good pick, work one day and megacorp gives you 1.5 day's holiday pay".

Congratulations EWG and I hope you enjoy your well earned ER. Now you can do what you want with your day! :dance:

I'm positive it was a mistake. I'm spending this morning on the phone to fix it. It's just another stupid headache that I don't need.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Just some info since there are comments back and forth about when do you lose insurance etc. etc.

The answer is.... it depends... it depends on how the company set up the plan.. they have the option of setting up when you qualify to be added and when you lose your insurance...

If the company chooses... it can drop you the day you leave... there is no wiggle room in this... it has to be set up before hand and applies to everybody... when my last company was looking at changing insurance this was one of the suggestions that was given to lower costs... IOW, if someone quit on the 1st, you do not deduct insurance from their paycheck, so why should they get a full month of insurance:confused:

I do not know what was decided as I was gone before the decision was made.... but the previous insurance was to the end of the month that you quit... so if you quit the 1st, you got the whole month.... same as if you quit the 30th.... (which means you lost it the same day or the next day)....

.....If the company chooses... it can drop you the day you leave... there is no wiggle room in this... it has to be set up before hand and applies to everybody... when my last company was looking at changing insurance this was one of the suggestions that was given to lower costs... IOW, if someone quit on the 1st, you do not deduct insurance from their paycheck, so why should they get a full month of insurance:confused: ..

I agree with what your wrote that it is a policy decision that then applies to every employee. The company would normally get the employee contribution since it someone quits on the first they typically have that one day of pay and unused vacation or sicktime or whatever that is include in their final check that would be more than sufficient to provide the employee contribution to premium. Or the employee could pay it directly if there were no unpaid vacation (but I suspect it would be rare that any unpaid amounts would be less than the employee contribution).

It is a bit of a moot point in many cases though as the employee has the COBRA "option" to bridge them to their new health insurance.

That's the way my former employer handled it... until they changed the policy less than a year before I retired... My health insurance was terminated at midnight following my last day.

I think corporations are getting more penny wise - and why would they care if they piss off ex employees.
I'm going to have to check on this. I have been assuming that I wouldn't trigger COBRA until the first of the month after I leave. It's easy to double check once my end date is clearer. Right now I'm retiring in cognito as far as the rest of the department knows. Since people I work with know I'm about to roll off the project, I've been being asked what it looks like my next project will be. I'm being quiet and non-committal.

Congrats EWG on finally cutting the cord (I hope).

I'm going to have to check on this. I have been assuming that I wouldn't trigger COBRA until the first of the month after I leave. It's easy to double check once my end date is clearer. Right now I'm retiring in cognito as far as the rest of the department knows. Since people I work with know I'm about to roll off the project, I've been being asked what it looks like my next project will be. I'm being quiet and non-committal.

I need to learn more about this myself. One item on COBRA that was told to me by HR a couple years ago was that you had some time (90 days?) after termination to elect to take COBRA. He said the way it was structured this amounts to is 90 days to retroactively kick in COBRA. Sounds too good to be true so it is something I would investigate very seriously before relying on it. Strange as it may seem, HR is seldom as good as Engineering when it comes to numbers and following regulations...

I understand that is in fact true. Our COBRA gives a 60 days to start taking it--allows you to pay the premiums when you need them but you have to pay it all at once. I had a previous COBRA that had a 90 day election time before, never used it since I was employed with insurance 6 weeks later, so I never paid a dime.

It was extremely annoying to find out that Megacorp screwed up my dental, health, and vision care, and we have appointments this month. However, it will be straightened out by tomorrow.

Having just gone through this in June... Cobra is 60 days to trigger it... and you have to backdate to your termination date if you trigger it.

Since my husband was in the middle of some medical stuff and both kids had scheduled dentist and orthodontist appts - we got it set up as fast as possible - unfortunately, the company (former employer) took my money but failed to reinstate coverage. LOTS of stress and phonecalls over that. Some providers had us pay up front, and then file a claim for reimbursement when the cobra finally kicked in. It added a little stress and hassle - but fortunately, I was retired and had the time to do battle with the insurance provider, the benefits managers, my former employer's hr department, etc... Nothing like a cleared COBRA payment check and no coverage.

A couple of decades ago I had a gap between employers of a few weeks - I was single so I never triggered cobra - just played the odds knowing I had a cobra safety net since I was in the window.

I just finished a COBRA "free ride", Nov/Dec, saved me $1,230. Now on an Exchange plan which started Jan 1.

Stumbled upon this post. EWG care to update? I think many of us can relate to your post. Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom