Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-05-2015, 07:17 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Say no. They are just using you and preying on your goodness.

Text or email and cancel your meeting so you don't get cold feet doing it face-to-face. If you prefer not to burn bridges, just say that you like being retired and prefer not to work and leave it at that.

If you want or need to work, join a different practice that is not dysfunctional - docs are in high demand so you'll have your pick.

If you don't care about burning bridges, then perhaps sometime later, have a candid conversation with him about the problems with the group and that you recommended changes and were totally ignored and you think the situation is toxic and beyond your ability to fix it so you would rather stay away.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2015, 07:22 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
... There is a price for everything. You just need to determine what it is.
Tell them you will work for $100k a shift. No less. Essentially price yourself out of the market.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:36 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

He might not have any control over the situation anyway, the corporate situation being what it is. Don't waste time burning bridges--just say you are done and then really be done.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:38 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

EWG, I can't believe you are letting them manipulate you like this. I thought you had more conviction. Just cancel the meeting, do not return calls, and make it clear that you are not interested. In fact I strongly suggest that you and DH take a vacation on a remote island with no access to email.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:48 PM   #25

All of you are saying the same thing, as I thought you would. We're having a big group meeting tomorrow. Bigshots coming. I'm going for the entertainment only. You're giving me what I need to hear. I will say no.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:49 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
All of you are saying the same thing, as I thought you would. We're having a big group meeting tomorrow. Bigshots coming. I'm going for the entertainment only. You're giving me what I need to hear. I will say no.

Surely there are safer forms of entertainment. Maybe you could cancel and go to a movie instead.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:52 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

This is very, very simple. NO, NO, NO. I'm not even sure if I'd call him back. But certainly is avoid the place like the plague. What have they done to help YOU?

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:54 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Surely there are safer forms of entertainment. Maybe you could cancel and go to a movie instead.
+1

Not a good idea to walk back into the lion's den....
Old 01-05-2015, 07:54 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The director inserted by the regional office is cheerful, but is socially inappropriate, and not a very conscientious physician. I see him has a really big jerk and a lawsuit waiting to happen.

What do you think? Sorry this is so long-winded.
If I really felt this way about the director (or boss) then I wouldn't even consider going back. If you want to come out of retirement and continue to practice, then go somewhere else.

Glad he's not practicing in my state.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:28 PM   #30

Why would you even go to the meeting? It sounds like you can't let it go.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:41 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
I would cancel the meeting, saying I'd decided to stay retired. Surely there are more pleasant ways to earn a little money if you need to than to make yourself sick over this.
+1 Jerks never change. Don't waste another minute even thinking about it.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:00 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
"We" are having a big group meeting?
Did you retire on December 30th, or not? If you did, there is no "we".
Going into the lions' den is pure madness, unless you have been misrepresenting your desire to ER on this forum.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:02 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Why would you even go to the meeting? It sounds like you can't let it go.

1. Because I can see my friends, 2. I have to sign some charts that I can't access off site. 3. I'm curious. 4. And because I think letting him know my answer in person is taking the high road.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:05 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
"We" are having a big group meeting?

Did you retire on December 30th, or not? If you did, there is no "we".

Going into the lions' den is pure madness, unless you have been misrepresenting your desire to ER on this forum.

I finished Jan 1 at 7AM. The group's been through a lot together. I do have a couple of good friends in the group. It's not a lion's den for the group, but it is for the leadership.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:08 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

The Big Shots doubtless see the attrition and may be taking the measure of the practice manager. Consider what you would say if they asked your opinion. If they don't ask don't offer.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:09 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Money View Post
This is a toxic mess. Walk away after politely saying that you've thought it over and you cannot help him under the circumstances. Don't burn bridges, don't put him in his place (even if he richly deserves it). Just walk away to what you've been dreaming of, and crawl out of that poisonous stew.
+1
If management really wants to fix, they will contact you. Until then, there is nearly ZERO CHANCE your feedback will be listened to, much less heard.
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:18 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

If mgmt cannot see the problem is him.... that is actually normal for some reason.... I have seen this many times....

I will give you some different advice... tell him that you liked the laid back practice where you were earning 3X what you were making under him.... so if he REALLY needs you then your salary is now 4X.... if he stammers... then say thanks but no thanks....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:23 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you want to be out of it, I would put it to them that you have confidence in them, that they can handle the problems themselves rather than try to give counsel yourself. That way you don't burn any bridges, you flatter them a bit, and you don't set yourself up offering solutions, which because you are not executing them, could fail and come back to haunt you.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:33 PM   #39
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have a "8 out of 10" guideline I use. It something is not at least an 8 out of 10 I will not waste the calories by eating it, or waste time doing it. It works for desserts, movies, invitations, and toxic work offers. This offer (that is what it is, not an obligation) sounds like it would rate poorly.... like around -9 on the scale.
Patagonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:36 PM   #40

I think going to the group meeting shows them you are interesting and willing to continue some sort of relationship with this employer, regardless of what you say. Actions speak louder than words.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote